Author Topic: Voter ID snowballs  (Read 5076 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Voter ID snowballs
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
   I accept your posit that the Federal law is less dependable and less useful than local ordinance as a general principal.

Every problem ought to be solved at the lowest level of government possible.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 09:02:38 PM »
Well, the Republican't FL legislature has told the people of 65 counties they have no right to have a venue for people who experience wage theft. And this is a big problem here.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
Well, the Republican't FL legislature has told the people of 65 counties they have no right to have a venue for people who experience wage theft. And this is a big problem here.

Well yes!

I think we have some agreement .

If the counties can set wage levels and enforce them better than the state and federal governments , then the state and federal governments ought to get out of their hair and get out of the minimum wage business.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:11:27 AM »
This is not about minimum wages. This is about WAGE THEFT. Promising to pay a worker and then not paying him as promised.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
This is not about minimum wages. This is about WAGE THEFT. Promising to pay a worker and then not paying him as promised.

This should both break the laws that defend labor contracts and the minimum wage .

So it is prosecutable from the state and federal courts to begin with.

However , if a better monitor and enforcer is the county , then it fits my philosophy to get the larger levels out of the hair of the more competent and more local.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
Something I referenced earlier is coming to fruition, and why such a need for making voting not just sacrosanct, but ONLY to those legally allowed to vote in this country, which voter ID improves.  More and more reports are coming out, with possible voter fraud, in states that have races that are razor thin.  So thin, that the margain of victory could easily fall within the range of illegal votes cast

Yes, fake ID's can be had, but that's going out of one's way to commit a crime.  I'm referring to those here illegally, or ignorant of our laws, who are literally handed ballots, or they're simply automatically mailed, without any proof or reference to the person being legal to vote

The idea that voting should be made easy, ignores the point of just how important voting is.  It should not be made easy simply to be easier, so more folks can vote.  It should be made easy for those who are legally able to vote...and still breathing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:35:33 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »
Wage theft is a CRIME. It has not one thing to do with ostensible voter fraud.

The issue is how to get the police to prosecute wage theft. MOst of those affected cannot hire  a lawyer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
The issue is actually Voter ID......thus the thread title

But to address your tangent, if there were ANY crime causing some form of hardship to minorities, Civil Liberty lawyers would be over it, like bees on honey
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »
That is a figment of your warped imagination.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »
What is specifically?  That civil liberty lawayers wouldn't be surrouding supposed minority crime victims??  they do that all the time, even when there isn't a crime

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Also keep in mind....Police don't "prosecute", they merely enforce the law, when they observe someone breaking it, or arrest someone accused of a crime, if there's enough evidence.  It's the DA's office that would "prosecute" criminals.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
Wage theft is a CRIME. It has not one thing to do with ostensible voter fraud.

The issue is how to get the police to prosecute wage theft. MOst of those affected cannot hire  a lawyer.

Remember Arizona's governor trying to enforce immigration law?

The courts found against her , State officials shouldn't usurp the enforcement , even when the Feds are not really enforcing the law.

I agree that wage theft is a crime , it isn't a rare crime either, it is a fraud on Federal terms , cheating not only the worker but also the government that was going to withhold income tax.

If it is not enforced much, by the Federal marshals, the IRS or the state revenue officers that could be enforcing it , I have to wonder why not?

The victims of wage theft that I know personally earned money off the books and couldn't carry their complaint to any government agency. This isn't the governments fault, local nor fed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
Wage theft in Miami is most concentrated in construction, the needle trade, old folks homes, restaurants and hotels. A lot of the workers are undocumented, many are here legally but know nothing of the laws. The EOC and the NLRB have only a few Spanish speaking agents, and the ones they have are Cubans, who typically only care about other Cubans. Complaints get referred to Spanish speaking agents who do nothing, and phoine calls go to them and are answered by machines that tell the caller that the mailbox is full, call back later.  The County is somewhat more effective, I hear, and the legislature is opposed to the State or the other 65 counties doing anything, because of intense lobbying from Fanjul and the other Big Sugar producers, who contract buses of Jamaicans and Haitians and don't want any complaints. There is not a type of fraud that contractors have not committed. Every once in a while someone does an expose and they write it up in the paper. Occasionally a flunky goes to jail.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »

This makes the minimum wage law seem ineffective.

In a way that I hadn't considered much.

There is an underground economy here too, but I don't know how a county government would be effective  at reigning it in .

What should the Feds be doing that is easier for the locals to do?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
I do not see this as a matter of which is better.

The least corrupt is better. County governments can be horribly corrupt. The same is true of state governments.

We need an ombudsman system like Sweden, and honest consumer protection agencies focused on the average person.