Author Topic: Watermelon  (Read 641 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Watermelon
« on: November 29, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/jacqueline-woodson-responds-to-racist-joke/ar-BBg7qre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon

Watermelon, Banjo , Fried Chicken, Uncle Remus and about fifty other articles connected with the legacy of being African American have a poison about them from being associated with bad jokes .

This is not fair to the Watermelon , which has been in cultivation since at least four thousand years ago in ancient Egypt , perhaps longer in Southern Africa.

Jokes made in ill will have produced and allergy to some legitimate heritage.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Watermelon
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
Watermelon is very popular in my neighborhood.
After the harvest, several people bring it to a street near me and sell it out of the back of a pickup truck.
It is available in all the supermarkets as well.
 What I have not seen here is yellow watermelon. We have the red ones with and without seeds, small and round and large and egg shaped.
I have always liked watermelon.

My neighborhood is very diverse. There are five chicken places within walking distance of my home: KFC, Church's, Popeye's, Pollo Tropical and a Haitian chicken place.
I like fried chicken, too. Pollo Tropical and the Haitian place has grilled chicken.

I have not seen any examples of Black people avoiding eating watermelon or fried chicken.

Banjos are different. I have not seen a Black person play a banjo except in Washington State. Banjos are seen as hillbilly instruments for hillbilly music.

My father played the banjo in a Dixieland Band when he went to Texas Tech.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:30:54 PM »
   My Uncle made good money raising yellow meat Melons in Alabama , people came from afar to buy a pickup load.

The Banjo comes to Dixie by way of Africa , where it has its origin, neither Africa nor Appalachia should ruin it.

I get surprised at some of the things that make people sensitive sometimes, when I was a kid , I looked forward to a massive dose of watermelon and hardly ever passed a Sunday afternoon without having a big slice , with or without salt.

I was in high school before I learned that there was in some quarters a stigma attached.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:54:30 PM »
the largest consumer of watermelon and fried chicken is Chinese. my friend who is black trips out that anything that is watermelon flavored is the bulk of what I eat. I pretty much clean out safeways watermelon drinks. I know most of the best fried chicken places in san Francisco. if it has the word melon I`ll more likely give it a try