Author Topic: Not with a bang, but...  (Read 1163 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Not with a bang, but...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:01:25 PM »
If Atlas Shrugged was to have been filmed at all, it should have been placed in the hands of a visionary director with a fearless artistic and political temperament who might have boldly reimagined it for the modern times or, as the opening title says, "The day after tomorrow."

Just as problematic from an ideological point of view is that Dagny's great dream is the creation of an ultra-fast train. In the real world, such means of transportation has long since become the norm in Europe and Asia but not in the United States, where the stiffest opposition comes from conservatives, who have lined up against such projects because they are seen as government boondoggles. This paradox has conveniently been overlooked by the trilogy's band of admirers.

Yes , plausibility helps.

I liked reading Dune which I found engrossing.

The movies that attempted to tell this tale wound up pretty boring in spite of all star casts, the medium didn't lend itself to the internal narration that was pretty constant in the book.

I haven't Read Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead yet I suppose I am saving them for a special occasion.

If these movies are as slow as this evaluation promises , I am not sorry I missed them.
[/u]

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Not with a bang, but...
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:07:21 PM »
Frank Herbert had unlimited freedom to fantasize about Dune.  It was an imaginary Sci-Fi world on planets which he invented. Ayn Rand wrote about a future United States in which railroads are the main source of transportation, oil from a single field in Colorado is critical to the entire economy, an inventor who created an engine that runs on static electricity all by himself was driven into exile,  a crucial Chilean coppermine existed near Santiago and belonged to a guy with the name of the Ancona, an Italian ship that sank in WWI, and some guy invented a mysterious special blue metal stronger than steel.

The original story was a mashup of stories about Nicola Tesla, petroleum production and fantasy railroad speculation that was somewhat silly in 1950, but was absurd when set in modern times. And then there is John Galt's 56 page radio speech (there were no TV's in Rand's future world: no one who writes for films - and Rand did know about screenplays- puts hour long rants into a novel intended to be made into a film). There was no way to make the story even minimally credible.

Rand's cardboard novel characters are equally cardboardy  in all three (3!) casts of this series.

Herbert's Dune was sort of a mashup of  the origins of Islam, as though a desert society would naturally resemble that of the Arabian peninsula. But his creativity with regard to technology (mentats, adepts, tiny poisonous drones) were more in keeping with the society in which they exist.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."