Author Topic: Marriage is now allowed for gays in Florida.  (Read 13298 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marriage is now allowed for gays in Florida.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 07:50:47 PM »
Excellent posting , this is a lot to cover.

So of the Ten Commandments, we no longer enforce over half. Marriage is not mentioned in the Ten Commandments.
That is number seven
Neither is abortion
  Number six
or gun control.

Hmmmm...

Ok , I give you that the ten commandments do not endorse gun control.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
  4  Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.................
   Attempts to encode 4 have largely failed................

You don't hold with a 40 hr work week?

There are a lot of Old Testament precepts that the Unions like better than the Government.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
So of the Ten Commandments, we no longer enforce over half.

I note that where they are written in scripture , no secular enforcement is suggested.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
Abortion is not murder. It is not even infanticide.

Adultery is not the same thing as marriage. Adultery is at most a prohibition against married people fooling around. People who have never married are not adulterers. They are fornicators at most. Fornication is unmentioned by the 10 Commandments. Gay sex is a form of fornication as understood in Biblical terms.

The Ten Commandments has nothing at all to say about guns, other than perhaps not to kill people with guns. If a Good Man with a gun kills a Bad Man with a gun, I am afraid that a commandment has been violated, making that Good Man automatically just another Bad Man.

How can you be against George Takei, aka Mr Sulu not being allowed to marry his husband?

Note also that you are permitted to worship minor gods by the Ten Commandments.

Thou shalt not have other gods before me, suggests that (a) you are allowed to have minor gods, and (b) those minor god do, in fact exist. For example, you could say a little prayer to the toaster god so your toast would not get burned. You might utter a small incantation to the God of Socks, so as to prevent holes in your socks. Minor gods were a common occurrence in ancient times. They were called Lares and Penates by the Romans.

http://www.roman-empire.net/religion/rel-home.html

Worshiping large gold-plated bulls, was however, verboten. Remember what happened to Dathan ([played by Edward G Robinson)  in the Cecil B De Mille movie.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »

I note that where they are written in scripture , no secular enforcement is suggested.
-=================================================================
That would be because there was no secular state.  The Hebrews had no secular state, the Egyptians had none, either.

The Roman Empire at the time of Jesus was hardly a secular state, as people were expected to donate to the temple of Caesar, who was considered to be a divine being.

I do not think there were any secular states until at least the founding of Switzerland by tyhe union of both Catholic and protests cantons.

China was as secular a state as existed. Ashoka, the Indian emperor that embraced Buddhism after conquering most of India, did not  require conversion of Hindus and others to Buddhism, so perhaps that was the first secular state.   Perhaps the US was the first government to proclaim itself to be secular.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Abortion is not murder. It is not even infanticide.

Well that is just ridiculous.

If you are so free to excuse killing then what indeed is murder?

Nothing can be every sort of killing has someone who benefits enough to refine the definition .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
I have no objections to Steve or Eve marrying Airedales, but I imagine that ridicule would be the main social constraint against it. I am against people claiming their pets as dependents on their income taxes. Imagine what claiming all the ants in one's ant farm as dependents could do to a Form 1040.

Ridicule or not the doors to such things are opening.

Does the state really have any interest in preventing fathers from being wed to their daughters? sons ?Oedipus could have benefitted so much by being born a few millennia later.

I suppose I could claim a lot of creatures that I am supporting  , that is a pretty good suggestion.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
Executions are not murder, accidental killing is perhaps manslaughter is not murder, the deaths of Trevon Martin and Eric Garner was not only not  murder, but not even worthy of a trial. The reason we have the word "abortion" is because it is not the same thing as murder, or even killing.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
Is your argument here that abortion is equivalent to the manslaughter of Eric Garner?

I disagree , mostly because the death of Mr. Garner did not seem intentional.

If you consider Mr. Garners death to be intended then perhaps it is exactly equivalent.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 01:38:00 AM »
Accepting LittlebabyJeezus is unrelated to Adam marrying Steve.

Accepting Christ is simply being Christian.  Being Christian, is a choice, which includes making every effort not to sin.  It's a sin, in the eyes of God, for immoral acts, such as adultery or homosexuality.  There's no law against either, nor should there be.  They simply are put on the same mantle of immoral choices

LOL...I do have to chuckle at the attempt to connect a god given right, in defending ourselves with a firearm in this country, to "turning the other cheek".  Quite the deflective stretch, even for you     ;D   Here's a hint, even if there were firearms in Jesus time, it would have been wholly inappropriate for his anger to manifest itself into such a fit of rage, he would "go postal".  That's not what firearms, or even knives are for.  They are simply tools, that the person in question uses.....for whatever purpose they've decided to use them for.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 10:21:36 AM »
I do not think that the officer that choked Eric Garnet to death actually gave a damn about whether he killed him or not.
This was not some sort of accident. At the very least, the cop should have been tried for manslaughter.

Garner was not holed up inside the cop's body, which is why it was not comparable to an abortion. A woman has an ABSOLUTE right to determine what she does with her body. Which sirs., do does not even know the woman, does not have, which the government should not have.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »
Which sirs., do does not even know the woman, does not have, which the government should not have.

What the frell??  For someone so enamored with a person's rights, you sure have no problem trying to strip them of their right to free speech and to bear firearms

A person's rights (man or woman) are sacrosanct.....until it impacts the right of another, which in the case of abortion, is an innocent unborn child.  Period
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 10:39:08 AM »
I have seen far too many times the old crap about how the US has four hundred eighty pounds of laws or something like that, when all the Hebrew children needed was the 10 Commandments. This is the sort of thing that unthinking, stupid people say.

We constantly hear about how the US was founded on the Bible, when only perhaps four of the Ten Commandments are encoded into laws in this country. The American legal system is based on English common law, NOT the Bible.

Turning the other cheek means exactly like that. It does not mean perforating whomsoever confronts you with bullets. Jesus was clearly nonviolent. The NRA is clearly in favor of making violence efficiently, because that is what a firearm does.

There never was any King Oedipus, that story was a myth.  By the way, Oedipus, fleeing a prophesy,  killed his real father Laius(The King of Thebes) and married his mother Jocasta  (The Queen). He was a local hero because he answered the Riddle of the Sphinx, which made the Sphinx stop blocking the road into Thebes, and actually kill herself, which is apparently what Sphinxes do when you answer their riddles correctly. When the truth was revealed that Oedipus had killed his father and married his mother, he gouged out his eyes, and Jocasta killed herself. The moral of the tale is that you cannot run away from a prophesy. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
As I have said many many times before, I do not advocate the government taking away your sacred firearms. That would cause far to many deaths to even attempt. I simply lament that this was not done previously, before the nutcases took over and cause demented fools to arm themselves against mostly imaginary villains.

I am all for you and that idiot LaPierre ranting and raving their slobbering fury as much as they desire.

Fetuses have no rights. You have to be born before you get rights.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 10:52:33 AM »
Your actions debunk your claim of not wanting to abolish my right to own a firearm.  There are already a ton of laws, as it relates to gun ownership.  More laws don't make us safer, they merely strip away more law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves using a firearm, since criminals are going to get their guns illegally to begin with. 

But I do appreciate how you have no problem stripping rights away from an unborn child.  At least you're honest

And stop trying to paintbrush the 10 commandments as supposed "Christian law".  They are simply actions to follow.  Also, as i said, there's nothing encoded in the 10 commandments.  So stop trying to encode something that has no code    ::)