Author Topic: Marriage is now allowed for gays in Florida.  (Read 13299 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Marriage is now allowed for gays in Florida.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 01:18:28 PM »
Turning the other cheek means exactly like that. It does not mean perforating whomsoever confronts you with bullets.

So, in Xo's governed world, turning the other cheek is turning so the criminal thug can shoot in the other.  *whew*...so thankful that's not part of this country's governance     :o
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 01:25:43 PM »
There is NO SUCH THING as an unborn child. That is like  pointing to 20,000 empty beer cans,  and calling it an "unmanufactured trailer."   

Every human being has the right to their own body. 

A wart is a living thing. I suppose you would say that Congress has a right to tell you that you have no right to have a wart removed.
======================================================
So, in Xo's governed world, turning the other cheek is turning so the criminal thug can shoot in the other.  *whew*...so thankful that's not part of this country's governance     :o

No, that is NOT what I am saying. I am reminding you of what Jesus meant when he said "turn the other cheek".  That is what would happen if Jesus were running the country according to his teachings.  I think that Jesus' teachings were impractical. When you hear that they are going to crucify you, the logical thing to do is not stick around until they come for you, it it to light out for the territories, as Mark Twain would have said.

I make no claim to being a Christian. You do. You are the one that should be turning the other cheek. You should be willing to turn at least ONE for Jeezus. After all, you have a total  of four cheeks.  My solution has always been to flee bad guys. That has worked very well for me so far.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
Sorry to throw mud on your rant, but there absolutely is such a thing as an unborn child.  So, yes, I agree, every human being born or about to be born, has an absolute right to their own body....period

And I know precisely what Jesus meant when he encouraged us to turn the other cheek.  I do it every time I'm having to rebutt some asanine accusation you make.  That doesn't equate to standing in front of some thug about to assault/kill you, and you just turn and take it
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:54:30 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
I have this feeling that you are not down with Jesus.

Your Jesus would be packing heat, I bet. If only there were heat in those days for him to pack.

As Messiahs go, the best example of a traditional Old Testament Messiah would be none other than Shimon bar Kochkba. He actually threw the Roman out of Judea. And he had no heat to pack, but he did use weapons.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
You can "feel" anything you want.  Doesn't make it right.  And in your case, with your batting average, is pretty much a guarantee that whatever you think "I think", is likely the exact opposite of what I actually would think
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:32:45 PM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »
You fail to understand what "turn the other cheek" means.

Meanwhile, even as I write this, Key West and Miami are working on being a major destination for gay weddings.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
I know exactly what "turn the other cheek" means, in the context that Christ references it.  It means when someone is abusing you, you take it.  It wasn't meant to take physical abuse, yet there you are trying to connect that, with defending oneself with a firearm.  What's patently apparent is you're the one who has no fricken clue what Christ meant when he said many a thing, including turning the other cheek

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 06:02:50 PM »
A cheek is a  physical part pf the body.

I suppose that you think Jesus was talking about verbal abuse. That is not what he was talking about. but again, continue to believe all the nonsense you wish.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
Jesus wasn't being literal, Dr Deflection.  Jesus wasn't referring to someone slapping someone else.  It's rhetorical....AS IN HE WAS TALKING RHETORICALLY, NOT LITERALLY, and NOT SPECIFICALLY ABOUT VERBAL ABUSE.  One would think a linguistics professor could grasp that point.  Apparently not those who teach spanish.  Then again, that's one of your go-to tactics, argue a point never made,    ::)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 07:34:04 PM »
   The context in which Jesus said to turn the other cheek was instructing his disciples on how to conduct themselves.

If slapped on the cheek turning the other, if sued for a cloak give two cloaks , if required to carry a pack for a mile , carry the pack two.

Then he and most of the people he told this directly became martyrs.

Lots of Christians since became martyrs, this is a high standard of service.

Wasn't long after this instruction that he told his disciples to make sure and buy some swords.

Then when he was being arrested one of his guys started to put up a fight, ... but Jesus stopped him , told him to put his sword away and performed a healing on the wound.

I think Jesus was making it clear that he was going willingly into martyrdom , not being surprised and overwhelmed when helpless.

This is a serious subject, is a gun a waste of money , if you havn't the will to defend yourself with it? 

Not necessarily, there are indeed circumstances in which having a gun can serve the cause of peace  , and times when it does not.

If you have the gun , you have the choice to use it , or not, and you can choose to be injured rather than shoot , if this is what seems right.

But if you havn't prepared , not only with getting the gun, not only with practice and proficiency, but also with serious thought and prayer. Then you are not being a free agent and making choices at all.

Whether you get a gun or don't but especially if you do it is worthy to settle within yourself what the decision is and why sooner than the need. So that when the need is present the decision doesn't take all day, and isn't wrong for you.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »
There is NO SUCH THING as an unborn child. That is like  pointing to 20,000 empty beer cans,  and calling it an "unmanufactured trailer."   

You say this as if there were a clear definition of "Human Being ".

Is there?

It took a long time and a lot of struggle for Colored people to get something like equal standing under the law.

What makes the people that are a day ahead of being born a lower grade of creature than someone a day older?

I have read quotes of Thomas Jefferson in which he rationalizes the status of slaves and Indians on the basis of real and supposed difference, is this the same exercise?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2015, 08:01:30 PM »

It took a long time and a lot of struggle for Colored people to get something like equal standing under the law.

What makes the people that are a day ahead of being born a lower grade of creature than someone a day older?   

I have read quotes of Thomas Jefferson in which he rationalizes the status of slaves and Indians on the basis of real and supposed difference, is this the same exercise?

BINGO

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 04:57:29 PM »
You have to be born to be a human being.

An egg is not a chicken, a maggot is not a fly.  There is a far greater difference here than skin color.

The usual distinction was that a human is different from a clam, a chicken or even a dog because a human has a soul, and animals and vegetables do not.  Perhaps God needs to let us know when he installs souls. Is at the moment of conception, the time of bih, somewhere in between, or perhaps at some later date after birth.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 05:07:27 PM »
You have to be born to be a human being.

Let the rationalizations continue.  I bet Hitler was at one time rationalzing something similar (not identical professor literal, but similar), in justifying the need to murder millions.  The jews just weren't "human being enough"

A growing child, being carried by a mother, is just as much a human as you or I...period

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »
Only in your mind.