Author Topic: Soros  (Read 1523 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Soros
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:00:50 AM »
"America needs to follow the policies it has introduced in Germany," Soros said. "We have to go through a certain de-Nazification process."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/2/18/185315.shtml?s=ic

http://www.soros.org/about/bios/a_soros

http://www.georgesoros.com/excerpt-thinking

The fact that our thinking forms part of what we think about, has far reaching implications both for our thinking and for our reality.

When we ourselves participate in the events we think about, the complications become much more pervasive. Not only is our knowledge incomplete, but, more important, our imperfect understanding or fallibility becomes part of reality.

We cannot rely on knowledge alone when making our decisions. Reality is not independently given but is contingent upon our decisions. As a result, our decisions cannot correspond to what we would do if we possessed all the relevant facts. In other words, our behavior is not entirely rational.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Soros
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 04:16:20 AM »

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/crash/interviews/soros.html

"
Actually, I see tremendous imbalance in the world. A very uneven playing field, which has gotten tilted very badly. I consider it unstable. At the same time, I don't exactly see what is going to reverse it. Certainly, a slowdown in our economy would leave the world extremely vulnerable, because the U.S. economy is, today, the single engine that is driving this very big plane. So if that engine were to conk out, you'd have a very serious problem. It's a question [of], can you repair the other engines before this one gives out. Because even though people say that we live in a new world, and the past is not relevant ... cyclical fluctuations are not eliminated. That's my main concern.

... I just want to clarify ... that what you have is a very uneven playing field. You have excess liquidity at the center and a great deficiency of capital at the periphery. The money is still flowing from the periphery towards the center. So we ought to find a way to inject liquidity in the periphery. Instead of that, we can only inject liquidity at the center. The Federal Reserve can lower interest rates, and has done so.

What you need is a mechanism to provide capital to countries like Brazil, which is where money is fleeing. Interest rates are very high. The country is going into recession. So this is what creates a tremendous imbalance, at the moment, which is not sustainable. It could lead to ... if this engine now gives out, then you have a problem.

I mean, in fact, there is a certain danger that because of the injection of liquidity, our financial markets have become overheated. You have signs of speculation, excessive speculation in areas like Internet stocks, and so on. You could conceivably have at some point a crash that would then have negative effects on the real economy ... In this country. And then, indirectly, on the rest of the world ..."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:30:51 AM »
In a March 14, 2003, Op-Ed, Soros likened the Bush administration's "pursuit of American supremacy" to "a boom-bust process or bubble in the stock market." Both, he argued, "have a solid basis in reality but reality is distorted by misconception. In this case, the dominant position of the US is the reality, the pursuit of supremacy the misconception. Reality can reinforce the misconception but eventually the gap between reality and its false interpretation becomes unsustainable. During the self-reinforcing phase, the misconception may be tested and reinforced. This widens the gap leading to an eventual reversal. The later it comes, the more devastating the consequences."

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=George_Soros

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »
You may not like his politics, but the guy is a genius when it comes to currency markets.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »
<<In this case, the dominant position of the US is the reality, the pursuit of supremacy the misconception. Reality can reinforce the misconception but eventually the gap between reality and its false interpretation becomes unsustainable. During the self-reinforcing phase, the misconception may be tested and reinforced. This widens the gap leading to an eventual reversal. The later it comes, the more devastating the consequences.">>

I think what he is saying is that the U.S. is dominant but not really supreme.  Some Americans are deluded into believing America is supreme.  They act accordingly and the delusion is tested.  (If we're supreme, how come those ragheads keep blowing up our soldiers?)  So they reinforce the delusion (We ARE supreme, we just need to send more troops and we'll break them.)  They might succeed in crushing the "ragheads."  So the delusion is further reinforced.  Now it's beyond question they are supreme.  So next time they fuck with someone bigger than Iraq and its 23 million people.  Huge gap between misconception and reality. 

"Leading to eventual reversal" means what?  That the delusion becomes the reality and the reality becomes the delusion?  Doesn't seem to make sense.  I think he just means that the reality of dominance becomes reversed.  The people their delusion leads them to fuck with will fuck them up so badly that their former dominance is submerged as other powers rise to take their place.  Or more likely, they'll bankrupt themselves trying to win a fight they picked with a country they had originally considered an easy mark.  Others will supplant them in influence and control over what used to be their empire.  Soros is pretty fucking smart but I think he is taking a long view.  I think that for the rest of my lifetime, the U.S. will continue to get away with murder as it's done since the end of WWII.