Author Topic: Ricky Martin ala Dixie Chicks?  (Read 1672 times)

The_Professor

Ricky Martin ala Dixie Chicks?
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:01:45 PM »
Ricky Martin defends obscene, anti-Bush gesture

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Ricky Martin, who was a headliner at the 2001 inauguration ball for President George W. Bush, has a message for the American commander in chief about war.

At a recent concert, the 35-year-old singer stuck up his middle finger when he sang the president's name in his song "Asignatura Pendiente," which includes the words, "a photo with Bush." The gesture last Friday prompted cheers from thousands of fans in the San Juan stadium.

On Thursday, the Puerto Rican heartthrob repeated his criticism of the Iraq war and explained his changed position on Bush.

"My convictions of peace and life go beyond any government and political agenda and as long as I have a voice onstage and offstage, I will always condemn war and those who promulgate it," Martin said about his action in an e-mail statement sent to The Associated Press via a spokesman.

Martin, like other artists, has been highly critical of the war in Iraq.

Best known to international audiences for his smash hit "Livin' la Vida Loca," Martin is a huge star in Puerto Rico, where symbols of national identity -- such as the Puerto Rican flag and anthem -- are widely adored, and residents have complicated feelings about Washington.

The United States seized Puerto Rico in 1898 at the end of the Spanish-American War.

Puerto Rico's 4 million people are U.S. citizens and can be drafted into the military but cannot vote for president and have no voting representation in Congress. They also do not pay federal taxes.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/16/people.rickymartin.ap/index.html 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Ricky Martin ala Dixie Chicks?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 01:42:18 PM »
Looks like Ricky has learned a couple of lessons.

Political speech is protected.

And political dissent can be profitable.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »
While I appreciate and endorse the gesture, I have a bad vibe about it coming from somebody who allegedly headlined the Inauguration Ball. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »
While I appreciate and endorse the gesture, I have a bad vibe about it coming from somebody who allegedly headlined the Inauguration Ball. 

Don't see why. Since when is political affiliation an all or nothing proposition?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 06:41:57 PM »
<<Don't see why. Since when is political affiliation an all or nothing proposition?>>

Bush conferred an honour on him by having him sing at the inauguration ball.  He knew what kiind of slimeball scum he was celebrating when he agreed to sing for him.  The exposure had to be of great benefit no matter how big he was at the time.  So NOW he decides to give Bush the finger?  Fuck him.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
So NOW he decides to give Bush the finger?

I can see how you think Martin ungrateful, but then again he certainly is allowed to hold and express differing opinions. Do you think this reflects badly on Latino's?

The_Professor

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 11:47:30 PM »
An issue I find different between this Ricky Martin action and that earlier of the Dixie Chicks is that he at least did it here and not in front of a foreign audience. A fine but important distinction to me at least.

As an aside, why has our culture degenerated to the point that people have to degrade themselves in this fashion publicly (the obscene gesture)? Speak your peace; why be crude about it? Yet another example of societal degeneration.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:56:25 PM by The_Professor »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:10 AM »
Ricky Martin sang at Juniorbush's inauguration because he was paid to do this, and it was beneficial to his career. If he flipped Juniorbush off in a concert in Puerto Rico, it was for the same reason. Ricky is a bit of a prick, but a deep thinker he's not.

Puerto Ricans mostly consider their loyalty to Puerto Rico more important than their loyalty to the US. Puerto Ricans living on the island are not permitted to choose the US president, and consider their island to be a free country with special ties to the US (as is suggested by the Spanish description "Estado Libre y Asociado de Puerto Rico" (Free and associated State). The English term Commonwealth is far more vague.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:57:35 PM »
XO, I understand we have given them several tries to declare their independence. Is this true? After all, if they are unhappy, so be it. See ya!