Author Topic: Mark Twain  (Read 3751 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Mark Twain
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:33 PM »
Right back atcha.....demonstrate where he specifically bad mouths the Republican party.  Ball in your court
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »
REPUBLICANS

I had been accustomed to vote for Republicans more frequently than for Democrats, but I was never a Republican and never a Democrat. In the community, I was regarded as a Republican, but I had never so regarded myself. As early as 1865 or '66 I had had this curious experience: that whereas up to that time I had considered myself a Republican, I was converted to a no-party independence by the wisdom of a rabid Republican. This was a man who was afterward a United States Senator, and upon whose character rests no blemish that I know of, except that he was the father of the William R. Hearst of to-day, and therefore grandfather of Yellow Journalism - that calamity of calamities.
 - Autobiographical dictation, January 24, 1906
http://www.twainquotes.com/Republican.html

Mark Twain

“all democrats are insane, but not one of them knows it”
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/532723-all-democrats-are-insane-but-not-one-of-them-knows

Democrats and Republicans

All Democrats are insane, but not one of them know it; none but the Republicans and Mugwumps know it. All the Republicans are insane, but only the Democrats and Mugwumps can perceive it.
     - Mark Twain
http://www.heartsandminds.org/humor/fundemrep.htm

Hahahahaha! how did that one get cut in half?

This is a pretty good article that makes a libertarian claim on Mark Twain, it isn't well written , but it is funny.

http://mises.org/library/mark-twains-radical-liberalism

and it quotes thusly,...
As Clemens himself once wrote,

The mania for giving the Government power to meddle with the private affairs of cities or citizens is likely to cause endless trouble … and there is great danger that our people will lose that independence of thought and action which is the cause of much of our greatness, and sink into the helplessness of the Frenchman or German who expects his government to feed him when hungry, clothe him when naked … and, in time, to regulate every act of humanity from the cradle to the tomb, including the manner in which he may seek future admission to paradise.12

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2015, 07:44:33 PM »
hehe....so in other words, his words that initiated this thread were once again, aimed at ALL politicians, including the professor's prescious democrats
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
prescious?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Oooo, the spelling nazi has returned.   ::)   You couldn't grasp the context, even with the mispelling?  A language professor??  My apologies......the word is precious

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »
One word and you blew it.

Who the Hell cares? 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2015, 02:21:30 PM »
LOL...blew what?  The context??