Author Topic: Hopefully this trend continues!  (Read 6052 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hopefully this trend continues!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:54 PM »
Don't call it improbable , no one needs to guess.

Homeschooling has a good success rate , this is established , why speak of probability?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
I do not think they have the proper tools to evaluate home schooling.  Some states give some tests, other states give other tests.

Th get a HS diploma, students in public schools must pass a test that included math, reading comprehension and basic knowledge.
Home schoolers, charter schoolers and private schoolers do not need to take the test.

There were private for-profit groups that advertise "GED in three months, no FCAT".

Maybe other states evaluate them adequately, but Florida does not.

Some homeschoolers get a really good education, others do not.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »
Just like many Public schoolers get a good education, while many do not.  Anyone seen the latest test results from the Los Angeles Unified School District?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
Are the homeschooling their students? If not, why bring it up?

It is irrelevant to the argument, which seems to be that more parents should homeschool their children, and that is true for some but not all, and there are no valid statistics to judge, and therefore it cannot be compared with Los Angeles Schools.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
The arguement is that Home schooling should not be inhibited or prevented.  Nor is it an arguement that more parents "should" homeschool their children.  The arguement is the freedom of choice, that parents, should they want to homeschool their children, would not have some blankent condemnation that since some home schooling may occur in some "backwoods hick region of the country", that homeschooling in general should be avoided, if not abolished.  Public education is just as bad, if not worse, when it comes to educating our children.  Especially in places like LAUSD, where Public Education and Teachers' Unions reign supreme

It's funny, how the supposed party of "choice", is so anti-choice to anything that isn't supportive of Government services
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:32:53 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 01:48:36 PM »
Some people perhaps should homeschool their children.
Others should not.

There, argue against that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »
One more time...its not an arguement about should....its an argument about being allowed

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 05:38:32 PM »
Did I ever say it should not be allowed?

Did I?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 05:46:20 PM »
No, you keep arguing that folks like myself & Plane say more people should be home schooled.  That's what YOU keep saying.  Speaking for myself, it's not an issue that more children should be home schooled, and never has been

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
Observe that CU starts this nonsense by declaring "Hopefully this trend continues". What trend? the trend to homeschool children,ie to homeschool MORE of them. Look up the word "trend". 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
For a lingustics professor, you really have a problem with words and their definitions.  A trend where more kids are getting a better education is a good thing.  That's something that SHOULD be supported.  No where in there however is the proclamation that kids SHOULD be homeschooled, and to avoid any other means of education

The point Plane & I were taking, was along the lines of squelching this knee jerk dislike the left has of any education that occurs outside of Public Education.  There are bad homeschooled students, just as there are bad publically educated students. 

I support any and all endeavors to educate our children, be it Public, Private, Charter, Homeschooled, etc.  I will also highlight where they are failings, and currently there's some major failings in the Public Education System.....especially in those Union dominated regions, where the emphasis isn't about educating the Child but protecting the Public Education teacher

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »
TREND means that what there once was some of, there now is MORE of.
CU wants more homeschooling.

Maybe it would be a good idea, most likely not. It depends on who the parents are.

I would not homeschool my children, because I think that they need to come in contact with other children and socialize to develop their skills with other people.
I do not believe that there are any figures showing that homeschooling is always better or always worse.  If the parents are Jehovah's Witlesses or members of some other nutball fundie sect, they have a right to homeschool their kids, but the results are not going to be good for the children. I suppose in an Amish community, they would get along just fine, so long as they stay in that community.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »
  If the parents are Jehovah's Witlesses or members of some other nutball fundie sect, they have a right to homeschool their kids, but the results are not going to be good for the children. I suppose in an Amish community, they would get along just fine, so long as they stay in that community.

This is a value judgment that the government should not be making.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
I do not think they have the proper tools to evaluate home schooling.  Some states give some tests, other states give other tests.

The tools are the same as for kids emerging from public school.
    There are a much smaller number of homeschooled , but the number that do well on college admission tests is high.

This does not really demonstrate that homeschooling is high standard. Just that the standard of education available at public school is not really hard to surpass .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:40 AM »
TREND means that what there once was some of, there now is MORE of.
CU wants more homeschooling.

He wants our kids to be better educated, and if there's a trend that homeschooling is doing that, THAT'S A GOOD THING

Maybe it would be a good idea, most likely not. It depends on who the parents are.

Ditto regarding Public schooling, though that largely depends on who the teachers are, and their motivations.

I would not homeschool my children, because I think that they need to come in contact with other children and socialize to develop their skills with other people.

Fine....that's your choice.  THAT'S THE POINT.  It's about the freedom to choose what you think best for your child....NOT what's best for the school system or teachers.  Some parents might think their child will get plenty of socialization outside of school hours, and would rather focus their learning efforts in a setting where they can concentrate much better.  The point is, that'd be their choice