Author Topic: Hopefully this trend continues!  (Read 6056 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hopefully this trend continues!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
My problem with this subject is not how successful home schooling is but the blatant disregard of the success rate of public schools . San francisco has three magnet schools but hearing people talk it sounds like public schools in the whole country has 100% failure rate. If i were to say that crzay statement im pretty i get alot of agreements.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
I wouldn't be one of those, Kimba.  I would be one of those that does see & a witness to a factual decline in Public Education results, while at the same time seeing a trend of improving homeschooling results.  That's not a blanket condemnation of Public Education, no more than some claim that we should all be home schooled.  Merely pointing out the current "trends"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:47 PM »
 I can honestly say for the past few decades zero credit for anything on  public education . I understand trends and do acknowledge decline in some  schools but refuse to say all schools. from where I stand all these complaints has never brought a suggestion of fixing but more for abandoning these schools and sending SOME kids to alternatives.

I have no problems with charters schools but people forget unlike a public school they are not required to accept all students. home schooling is a purely voluntary system and needs no endorsement whatsoever. I don`t recall parents being forbidden from using it. but it should never be for everyone, we`re talking about a serious tie up of family resources here.

basicly home school is definitely not for the poor

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2015, 01:28:53 PM »
I refuse to say all schools as well.  It gets very irritating when I see blanket condemnations placed on some aspect of life, based on the actions of a few.  That doesn't refute however any trends that are also taking place at the same time, is all I'm saying
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2015, 01:51:07 PM »
most Asian student go to public school. If public school is such a failure than doesn`t that mean Asian kids are poor students also?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »
And who's saying Public school is "such a failure"?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2015, 02:41:23 PM »
isn`t that the current theme of home school parents. in fact the whole topic of education is to put down public education. I did state I never once anything positive for the past few decades. I think I`m the only guy defending that it still has merit.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2015, 03:01:15 PM »
It might be...which is what led them to want to homeschool their children.  Are we supposed to condemn them for what they perceive?  I think its great that your area has some magnet schools, Kimba.  Southern CA however, led by the mighty LAUSD has an abysmal record in educating the children.  Would you deny that those parents might come to the rational conclusion that Public Education has failed their children?

And no, you're not the only one.  The Professor has been doing his darndest to diss homeschooling as a bunch of hick whack jobs

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
There are THOUSANDS of public schools in the US.  Some are excellent, some are essentially baby sitting services.
They are best in prosperous neighborhoods where nmost of the parents are also well educated, They are worst in poor neighborhoods in which the parents are poorly educated.

Poverty is less of a contributing factor with many Asians, including Koreans, Japanese and Han Chinese, because of the reverence and respect that parents in these communities have for education, which is different from other groups, including the descendents of rural African Americans, American Indians, some Hispanics and some rural immigrants from Southeast Asia, such as Hmong and Cambodians.

Homeschooling follows a similar pattern: the wealthier and better educated the parents are, the better the education tends to be.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
in matters of bad education their plenty of blame for everybody instead of squarely on the school and the system. not publicly acknowledge but a fair amount of people prefer education to be highly limited. history,language,social studies,all the sciences, etc. is considered unneeded in school.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »
CU wants more homeschooling

I want more of whatever takes children away from leftist indoctrination.

Two of my nieces home-school...
the one in Manhattan Beach, CA
just had her 16 year old start college.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2015, 01:18:43 AM »
Leftist?

Thats just a political opinion. Has no baring on education. Meaning depending what leaning in the area you can effect what education on what relative you desire. I don't blame poltics on this matter . A parent who complains the curriculum is too hard for thier child is likely equally blamed on both parties. You'll be hard press to say you're party want a higher quality to the point willing to have your child flunk.

So i blame parents not polical party.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2015, 12:25:02 PM »
Fundamentalists are far more likely to brainwash their kids than any leftists are.

The problem with education has very little to do with politics. It has to do with kids that never read books and cannot do math.
Students get promoted from one grade to the next even though they do not know the subject.

Miami Dade Schools, when I taught there for a semester had this rule that you could not fail more than 6% of the students in your class without submitting an eight page form explaining why the kid had a learning disability.

Most did not have any learning disability: they cut class, they never turned in the homework, they did not study.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »
We all have our own ideas how education should be run but it's not a one size fit all situation. My take on the issue firstly it is not a voluntary institution and should not ever get direct feedback from parents ever. Kids are made to go there. I do believe teachers need to make the material learnable so the most kids will learn. 

Also like all government institutions it should get some oversight on the finances. We never hear of aidts being finished and finances are all accountable