Author Topic: Terrorist attacks in Baghdad have been cut by 80%  (Read 4560 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Terrorist attacks in Baghdad have been cut by 80%
« on: February 18, 2007, 11:49:23 PM »
Iraq says violence in Baghdad cut by 80% 

BAGHDAD, Feb. 17  -- Iraqi military said Saturday that violence and insurgent attacks have cut by 80 percent since the U.S. and Iraqi security forces launched crackdown operation in Baghdad earlier this week.

"Terrorist attacks in Baghdad have dropped by 80 percent," said Qasim al-Mussawi, spokesman for Lieutenant General Abboud Gambar, who commands a joint force of Iraqi army and police.

"Before the operation, the morgue was receiving 40 to 50 bodies every day, but now it has only received 20 bodies in the past 48 hours," al-Mussawi said.

He said that the Iraqi security forces have arrested 144 wanted suspects and 130 displaced families have returned home.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki announced Wednesday the start of a long-awaited security plan aimed at pacifying Iraqi cities, especially the capital.

On the same day, the Iraqi government closed the borders with the neighboring Syria and Iran for 72 hours as part of the crackdown plan.

Al-Mussawi said the borders would reopen but it would take 60 days for the crossing to return normal.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-02/17/content_5751463.htm

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Terrorist attacks in Baghdad have been cut by 80%
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »
Uh-huh.

63 die as blasts disrupt Iraq clampdown
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070219/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_070218163959

"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:24:37 AM »
The article Ricky posted was written on the 17th. Yours has a datestamp of the 18th.

What was true yesterday does not necesarilly have to be true today.

Even if Ricky's article wasn't true to begin with.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:34:02 AM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwww...

Guess you didn't see when he posted it.

Terrorist attacks in Baghdad have been cut by 80%
« on: Today at 10:49:23 PM »

Less than an hour ago, in fact.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 12:35:56 AM »
Though I guess in light of the fact that some in here can't get past discredited claims of WMD and ties between Saddam and Al Qaeda that they keep bringing up as truth, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »
His post time has little to do with when the article was written. Nor did he comment on it.

And it is quite possible he hasn't caught up with the daily news.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:46:12 AM »
Though I guess in light of the fact that some in here can't get past discredited claims of WMD and ties between Saddam and Al Qaeda that they keep bringing up as truth, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

What is readily becoming apparent is some people have problems with understanding the concept of time.

Again what could be true yesterday does not automatically remain true today.

New data changes the equation constantly.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 02:51:55 AM »
Why do I get the feeling, H, that you're posting the terrorists' propaganda with such glee? It's cowardly to set off a car bomb to kill innocent people and then you run in here and post it up to shamelessly do their bidding. Tomorrow is another day. Even with these cowardly attacks, the number of terrorist attacks over the past few days has plummeted dramatically. But the demented anti-war left is going to pooh pooh any success.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 10:36:16 AM »

Yea, if only that were the case, then you'd really have a leg to stand on     ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 12:46:44 PM »
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the number of "terrorist" attacks DIDN'T decrease over a period of months.  The insurgency doesn't have to stand and fight at a time and place chosen by the occupiers.  They can hide and bide their time.  They live there.  While the clock runs, the occupier bleeds megabucks.  They can't afford to stay forever.  The Resistance can.

Since R.R. is outraged by the cowardice of the terrorists, maybe he can tell me how cowardly is this: to drop white phosphorus on civilians; to torture helpless prisoners to death; to rape and murder a 14-year-old girl and her unarmed family.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »
; to rape and murder a 14-year-old girl and her unarmed family.

The guys that comitted this crime are going to do hard time , everyone in our ared forces really ought to know alread that they are not sheilded from procicution if they commit crime.

The gus that killed sixty people with a bomb whose placement was carefully calibrated to catch as mny civilians as possible will be punished by who?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
<<The gus that killed sixty people with a bomb whose placement was carefully calibrated to catch as mny civilians as possible will be punished by who?>>

He'll probably die anonymously in his turn as the "sectarian warfare" continues its merry way down through the years. 

What I'm more interested in is who will punish the guy who supplied the explosives to that guy and connived to allow him to pass unmolested through government and perhaps U.S. checkpoints.  And who will punish the guys who dropped white phosphorus on civilians?  And who will punish the torturers and murderers of Arab prisoners?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 05:50:39 PM »
<<The gus that killed sixty people with a bomb whose placement was carefully calibrated to catch as mny civilians as possible will be punished by who?>>

He'll probably die anonymously in his turn as the "sectarian warfare" continues its merry way down through the years. 

Yes , if we catch him .

What I'm more interested in is who will punish the guy who supplied the explosives to that guy and connived to allow him to pass unmolested through government and perhaps U.S. checkpoints. 
See above, when we catch him.

And who will punish the guys who dropped white phosphorus on civilians? 
Nobody , unless they get caught targeting civilians, how was "bomber" Harris  punished?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/harris_sir_arthur_bomber.shtml

And who will punish the torturers and murderers of Arab prisoners?

The US government , it ought to be Chrystal clear to the members of the Armed services that prosecution is likely if they mistreat a prisoner.

Not like any of our opponents who get commendation for killing lots of civilians or mistreating prisoners , this is a basic difference and I am glad our side is what it is.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »
<<Not like any of our opponents who get commendation for killing lots of civilians or mistreating prisoners , this is a basic difference and I am glad our side is what it is.>>

Your side is a bunch of murdering opportunistic thugs who have invaded a small, oil-rich country on trumped-up excuses, killed hundreds of thousands of its citizens and are intent on subduing its citizens by any means possible including kidnapping, torture and murder, so that they can establish military bases for further regional aggression and ensure themselves a stable supply of energy that rightfully is not theirs to control.

You can pretend as much as you like that your side is not like that at all, but you are not fooling anyone else and most of the world including more than half of your own country now sees "your side" for what it really is.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:40 PM »
<<Not like any of our opponents who get commendation for killing lots of civilians or mistreating prisoners , this is a basic difference and I am glad our side is what it is.>>

Your side is a bunch of murdering opportunistic thugs who have invaded a small, oil-rich country on trumped-up excuses, killed hundreds of thousands of its citizens and are intent on subduing its citizens by any means possible including kidnapping, torture and murder, so that they can establish military bases for further regional aggression and ensure themselves a stable supply of energy that rightfully is not theirs to control.

You can pretend as much as you like that your side is not like that at all, but you are not fooling anyone else and most of the world including more than half of your own country now sees "your side" for what it really is.

I am not pretending that members of our armed fores that commit atrocitys can and do get caught and locked up , this is actual.