Author Topic: Question  (Read 5846 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Question
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:03:05 AM »
This is primarily aimed at those who lean towards the fundamentalist side of the spectrum but all replies are welcome:

Is Romney's religion, Mormonisn, a deal breaker, as far as you are concerned,  for the GOP nomination?

If so,  why? If not, why not?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:31:01 AM by BT »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:12:19 AM »
This is primarily aimed at those who lean towards the fundamentalist side of the spectrun but all replies are welcome:

Is Romney's religion, Mormonisn, a deal breaker, as far as you are concerned,  for the GOP nomination?

If so,  why? If not, why not?

No , but I don't expect a seriously fundamentalist canadate to stnd a chance in the prevailing climate of prejudice anyhow.

The_Professor

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:08:22 AM »
Well, it is not a dealbreaker for me and some of my similarliy-minded friends I have talked to. I have worked for several Mormons and I havefound them to be the best bosses I ever had. They were "earningtheir way" and so were very upright and honest in everything, I mean everything. You could tunr your back and not see a dagger in ti. They earnestly cared for your welfare. They were all pro-family trypes who also were well-respected in the workplace, a good combo.

His flip-flopping on abortion is somewhat disturbing, but I have yet to find the time to thoroughly research this issue.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 01:21:50 AM »
My question was prompted by reports in the mainstream press that Romney's religion would be problematic for members of te religious right and thus the republican base.

That didn't seem to have the ring of truth to it.

Perhaps the issue wasn't Mormonism but more a backhanded slap at fundamentalist.

Gald i asked and glad that you both responded.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:31:26 AM »
I'm in the same camp as the Professor.  Currently it's too soon for me to make a determination 1 way or another.  I need more time to see/hear his platform, and how that corresponds with any legislative efforts (voting record) & executive efforts, as Governor
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 01:33:56 AM »
I'm in the same camp as the Professor.  Currently it's too soon for me to make a determination 1 way or another.  I need more time to see/hear his platform, and how that corresponds with any legislative efforts (voting record) & executive efforts, as Governor

The simple fact he is a Mormon would not color your evaluation?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 02:52:11 AM »
The simple fact he is a Mormon would not color your evaluation?

"Color"?  Perhaps, and very little at that.  Be a significant reason for disquailification?, no.  Should it?  If so, why?  (and thar question isn't limited to Bt.  Anyone who thinks being a Mormon is grounds for not being President, may respond)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 06:31:26 AM »
I don't think it should. It wouldn't if he were Jewish, Catholic, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim or Pagan.

It might if he were an anti-theist as opposed to an atheist, but only because being an anti is more a mindset than a religion.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:55 AM »
I, like the Prof, have worked for Mormons and found them to be the best bosses. I would not find his Mormonism a deterrent at all.

My parents, liberal Catholics, would find his religion abhorrent and would not vote for him due to that.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 12:31:51 PM »
I don't think it should. It wouldn't if he were Jewish, Catholic, Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim or Pagan.

It might if he were an anti-theist as opposed to an atheist, but only because being an anti is more a mindset than a religion.

Actually, I disagree. Now, we get into "sacred" ground. I would NOT vote for a self-admitted atheist, Hindu or Buddhist. Regardless of their stance on ANY issue(s).

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »
Actually, I disagree. Now, we get into "sacred" ground. I would NOT vote for a self-admitted atheist, Hindu or Buddhist. Regardless of their stance on ANY issue(s).

To each their own.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
Now, we get into "sacred" ground. I would NOT vote for a self-admitted atheist, Hindu or Buddhist. Regardless of their stance on ANY issue(s).

===========================================================================================
Why not? Do you feel that one can only be expected to behave fairly toward others if they feel threatened with fire and brimstone?
Therefore, shall we assume that you see the Dalai Lama or Mahatme Ghandi as inherently immoral or incompetent as leaders because they do not show proper reverence for the Omnipotent and Omniscient Designer of Tse-tse flies, cockroaches and AIDS?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »
============================================================================

Being "anti", hmmm. There are so many things to not believe in...astrology, phrenology, alchemy, the Great Pumpkin, transubstantiation, The South Beach Diet, the Gazelle Exercise Machine, Ford F-150 pickup trucks, plastic slimmer pants, the Kitchen Magician...

Are people that do not believe in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny "anti" to you?

How about those few who refuse to recognize the existence of Underpants Gnomes?

We all have so many things we could believe in or disbelieve in. Surely someone who believes in everything is wrong about some of what he believes in. Since the possibilities of the Universe are such that everything we know could conceiveably be wrong, or at least mostly incomplete. It would seem that a total disbeliever might be more likely to be an accurate than the Total Believer.

Someone that never believes that the time is correct could be right all the time, provided they were not asked for their opinion just once per day.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 01:30:13 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »
============================================================================

Being "anti", hmmm. There are so many things to not believe in...astrology, phrenology, alchemy, the Great Pumpkin, transubstantiation, The South Beach Diet, the Gazelle Exercise Machine, Ford F-150 pickup trucks, plastic slimmer pants, the Kitchen Magician...

Are people that do not believe in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny "anti" to you?

How about those few who refuse to recognize the existence of Underpants Gnomes?

We all have so many things we could believe in or disbelieve in. Surely someone who believes in everything is wrong about some of what he believes in. Since the possibilities of the Universe are such that everything we know could conceiveably be wrong, or at least mostly incomplete. It would seem that a total disbeliever might be more likely to be an accurate than the Total Believer.

Someone that never believes that the time is correct could be right all the time, provided they were not asked for their opinion just once per day.

I might not mind a Buddist or a Muslim , all other things being equal , but things not being equal might be the problem ,in the case of someone that I beleived to be unfeindly to my own beleif group.
I wouldn't want anone who was contrary to the first admendment .
Not an evangilistic athiest.
Not a satanist.

Mormon is borderline , but there is a very persuasive history amounting to seventy years of good behavior on their part.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »
Not an evangilistic athiest.
Not a satanist.

Mormon is borderline , but there is a very persuasive history amounting to seventy years of good behavior on their part.\

==========================================================================
I don't recall any 'evangelical athiests' ever running anywhere for public office. The last (maybe the only one) of these was Madeline Murphy O'Hare. Atheism is not a religion, just as fasting is not food.

Mormons definitely have some rather crackpot theological ideas: that you can translate texts from ancient Chaldean into King James English by reading them while peering through magical stones called Urim and Thummin, that God wants you to wear special underwear, that eventually you can become a God yourself, that you can have all your ancestors accomany you to Heaven by recording their name in the Mormon Heavenly Database.

On the other hand, the LDS Church does not stress these wacky beliefs much anymore, and Mormons tend to be more honest and helpful to their neighbors than the average Americans. I don't see a problem with Mitt Romney's religion, but I really doubt that he'll get the nomination from the GOP. The Republicans can't win without a huge evangelical turnout, and I doubt that they will turn out for Giulani or Romney.