Author Topic: Living with Guns...The Swiss Way  (Read 18600 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: Living with Guns...The Swiss Way
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 07:10:19 PM »
more evidence that it is not the guns!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
  That is a very good article , but I am disappointed to learn that in Switzerland a maniac can find gun free zones to wreak mayhem in.

Central in this article is the assertion that having practically 100% registration does not prevent many crimes.
"There is a lack there," admits Mr Suter. "The systems are not connected. But today they are really on their way to fitting all the information together, and there is not a single legal gun here which is unregistered. But a national register does not necessarily avoid tragedy - 100% control you cannot organise. It's impossible."

Since about half of the guns there were either issued by the government or bought with government subsidy , you would expect that registration would be easier there than anywhere.

Laugh line
Yet despite the prevalence of firearms, violent gun-related street crime is extremely rare in Switzerland.
  Despite?  I don't think this word means what the author thinks it does.

I agree with this guy
Hermann Suter, vice-president of the Swiss lobbying group Pro Tell, is infuriated by calls that the Swiss military should give up their guns and store them in a central arsenal.

"It is a question of trust between the state and the citizen. The citizen is not just a citizen, he is also a soldier, " he reminds me. "The gun at home is the best way to avoid dictatorships - only dictators take arms away from the citizens."
  This is the central intent of the second amendment, in this respect getting more like Switzerland would be a winner. Swiss Democracy is much older than our own and they have the method down pat.
          I learn that the Swiss citizen army is a lot smaller than it used to be , and that the government is keeping most of the ammunition away from the rifles. Is this related to the small increase in massacres?Is the shooting that leads this article a result of the harsher gun control that the Swiss are submitted to now?

This chart is mysterious,

What sort of laws does Mexico need? They must be closing in on Chicago.

I learn that the Swiss citizen army is a lot smaller than it used to be , and that the government is keeping most of the ammunition away from the rifles. Is this related to the small increase in massacres?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »
Switzerland has one seventh the number of gun deaths.
How much of this is due to Swiss attitudes and to the greater regulations does not seem to be known, and perhaps is not knowable.

But one seventh is definitely better.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »

But one seventh is definitely better.

Yes , but they don't have as many guns available to the public as they used to , and there is a small spate of shootings in gun free zones.

Given time , perhaps they will reduce their guns enough to have several times our murder rate.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »
Perhaps pigs will aviate.
Get fucking serious.

The Swiss require gun owners to be responsible.
The Swiss require guns to be registered.
The Swiss have ONE SEVENTH the number of shootings we do.

The reason that there are so many guns in Mexico is that Americans, with lax gun laws, sell them to make a buck.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 02:24:02 PM »
We have, in no way, "lax gun laws".  I just purchased an accurized Colt AR-15, and had to go thru multiple bureaucratic hoops, background check, and waiting period

You confuse/conflate the legal responsible gun owner, with the illegal bad gun nut........again
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 03:01:57 PM »
I am glad to hear that it is difficult to buy a gun.

But unless there is a National Gun Registry, we have what anyone with any knowledge of gun laws in the First Word Countries would call lax gun laws.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »
I am glad to hear that it is difficult to buy a gun.

Which refutes/debunks the notion that we have laxed gun laws, and supposed "ease of getting a gun"

But unless there is a National Gun Registry, we have what anyone with any knowledge of gun laws in the First Word Countries would call lax gun laws.

That however runs counter to the whole concept of the 2nd amendment.  Don't like it....tough.  But that still deosn't make purchasing a firearm "lax" in this country......unless you do it illegally of course, in which case no amount of "registering" would absolve that, since when doing it illegally, they're not registering their gun to begin with
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:08:39 PM »
The Federal government has the power to have a National Gun Registry. They can limit a large number of firearms as it is.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 03:09:40 PM »
The Federal Government has the power to impose martial law.  Doesn't make it right or even legal, under our Constitution

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »
I say, pass a law requiring gun registration of all new guns and all gun sales, and let the Supremes decide.

One small step to prevent these mass shootings.
I realize you think that mass shootings are a small price to pay so fools like Zimmerman and you can amass personal arsenals, but that is perhaps because no one you know has been shot. I attribute this to your lack of imagination. You are singularly uncreative and incapable of imagining anything other than a lack of symmetry in News items.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
And I say, not only are you dead wrong, but I also say we abide by our rule of law & Constitution.  Otherwise we are no better than some 3rd world dictatorship

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 06:30:17 PM »
Yeah, the Swiss are a Third World dictatorship. Like the English, the Germans, all the rest of the Western Europeans that do not have to worry about some right wing nut case shooting them in Church, at the Mall, in their universities,  and at the movies.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
Not talking about the Swiss, as they aren't run by our rule of law & Constitution.  Many of their policies & practices would be ruled unconstitutional in this country.  You don't like it?, tough.  Amend it.  The one thing you don't do is ignore the law you don't like