Author Topic: Living with Guns...The Swiss Way  (Read 18567 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Living with Guns...The Swiss Way
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 07:06:18 PM »
That is total bullshit.  There is no proof of your crap.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 07:13:47 PM »
Actually there is.  It's called the FBI

Bottom line however, is that in this country, as opposed to "the Swiss", Firearms isn't just some mandate by the Government, it's Constitutional right, as legally protected as your free speech
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
Actually there isn't.
If someone scares an armed burglar with a gun, they don't always report it.
The FBI statistics you crow about are invalid to the case you are making, and don't count.

There still are SEVEN TIMES MORE gun crimes in the US than in Switzerland.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
Actually there is, regardless of how deep you want to bury your head in the sand with that reality & FBI facts

If someone comes at you with a knife and you point a gun at him, he is very unlikely to keep coming, and far more likely to head in the other direction, perhaps in some haste, if he has a brain in his head. Only if he is an idiot are you likely to have to pull the trigger. And if he is an idiot with a knife coming after you, you had better have a trigger to pull.

Surveys of American gun owners have found that 4 to 6 percent reported using a gun in self-defense within the previous five years. That is not a very high percentage but, in a country with 300 million people, that works out to hundreds of thousands of defensive uses of guns per year.

Yet we almost never hear about these hundreds of thousands of defensive uses of guns from the media, which will report the killing of a dozen people endlessly around the clock. 

TEN TIMES MORE LIVES SAVED WITH A GUN in the U.S. that those killed with a gun, in the U.S.  Hell, more children die in bathtub accidents, than shooting accidents

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
There are no accurate statistics on lives saved with guns.
That is just horseshit.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Why not enact the laws that the Swiss have, and see if six-sevenths of gun deaths are avoided?
It would not turn this into a "Third World Country".
Switzerland is clearly a first world country which has its share of gun nuts and far fewer gun deaths.

Is it a matter of the law?

Or is it more the general attitude and expectation of the public at large that is different?

We can change the law , and we can change the knowledge and attitude of the people , or both even , but which would be most effective?

If the Law was really that effective Chicago would be one of the safest Cities in the world.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:49 PM »
That is just horseshit.

Everyone knows a few anecdotes of that nature.

There may be no reliable means of tabulation , but this results in an underestimate , not an over estimate.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:24 AM »
That is just horseshit.

That is just FACT.   Just demonstrated some.  If a life is perceived at risk, it is in fact a life saved, if the person doesn't die, by whatever means they used to prevent said injury/death. 

But by all means, keep head firmly planted in sand

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
You are clueless and just like Fox Mulder, you WANT to believe.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »
I don't have to believe anything......like hard core liberals are required.  I just have to be able to read & do math
- a little over 30,000 gun related murders in the U.S., on an annual basis
- a LOW ball figure of 200,000 cases where a gun was used to defend oneself, on an annual basis.  Other polls cite upwards of a million uses annually.  But let's go with the low ball figure

200,000 / 30,000 = 6.7

Well lookie there, that magic 7 TIMES number, if we round up.  In this country, for every life lost at the hands of gun violence, 7 were saved.  And that's using the low ball figure of 200,000. 

Perhaps you should have focused more on your math skills than Spanish
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:03:54 PM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »
Come off it, you do not know shit. You are even incapable to the guy standing next to shit.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »
Yet we almost never hear about these hundreds of thousands of defensive uses of guns from the media, which will report the killing of a dozen people endlessly around the clock.

HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS???

I doubt that most of these are actually reported, which means that the FBI does not know about them, either.

Guns ate the favored means of violence in the US. This is untrue of countries with stricter gun laws and many, may fewer guns.

I do not believe what you call FBI statistics. I do not believe this HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS crap, either. I think you are brainwashed, irrational and obsessed and I do not believe you and I doubt that I ever will.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 08:56:17 PM »
YES, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DEFENDING ONESELF WITH A FIREARM, ANNUALLY, IN THE UNITED STATES.  So its a moot point if guns are a "favored means of violence", since apparently its at minimum a 7xTIMES favored means of defending oneself.  Although most defensive uses of guns do not involve actually shooting, nevertheless the total number of criminals killed by armed private citizens runs into the thousands per year. A gun can also come in handy if a pit bull or some other dangerous animal is after you or your child.

The painful reality that the left would have us ignore, is that regardless of what we do or don't do about gun control laws, there will be innocent people killed by guns. We can then look at hard facts in order to decide how we can minimize the number of needless deaths.  In this country, exponentially far more lives are saved using a gun than those taken by one.  That's just a fact in this country

So, be my guest, and keep sticking the head in the sand and don't believe the facts.   What's that old saying?.....facts to a die-hard liberal, like kryptonite to Superman.  My goal has never been to try and get you to believe me.  My efforts are to simply produce cogent debate, provide facts and common sense to irrational leftist ideological tripe, and highlight hypocrisy when it rears its ugly head.  I truly appreciate your efforts in helping me along those lines

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 01:00:11 AM »
It's quite unfair to compare america to switzerland. Thiers hardly anything similiar about the two.i've been thier and i seen nothing familiar about the place. A small multi-lingual country with a homogenized culture with a differing economy. Nobody smiles there. But thier definately better looking than us.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »
You're absolutely correct, Kimba.