Author Topic: Chicago has a tough weekend  (Read 3365 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Chicago has a tough weekend
« on: July 06, 2015, 05:16:06 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/chicagos-fourth-of-july-rituals-fireworks-gun-deaths/ar-AAcDPOx

Nine deaths , Fifty injuries.

This is more than any state in the south , or north including Illinois if you don't count Chicago.

Last year, 82 people were shot — 16 fatally — over the Fourth of July weekend in Chicago... so the trend is good?

In this article the police are cited for their increased patrolling and their confiscation of dozens of guns.

Is this the effect of the toughest gun control in the nation?

Or are these numbers large just because the city is large?

http://smartgunlaws.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/RGIA-For-Web.pdf

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Chicago has a tough weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:32:59 PM »
Obviously, the people of Chicago need MORE GUNS.

Yeah, that'll work.

Dummy!
And let's blame it on Obama, because he used to live in Chicago and is therefore responsible for all those people getting shot.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:52:38 PM »

Yeah, that'll work.

Dummy!
And let's blame it on Obama, because he used to live in Chicago and is therefore responsible for all those people getting shot.

There seems to be a definite co-relation between tough gun law and energetic enforcement of tough gun law and absolutely nothing at all.

At various times and places the law is tough or lax and the rates of violence is high or low and by picking what is wanted one can prove whatever one wishes.

It is akin to taking credit for the sun rising because you killed a chicken last night.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:58:25 PM by Plane »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »

Yeah, that'll work.

Why would it not?

Everyone who wants to do mayhem seems to have one already.

Giving a criminal another one is not harmful a bit he can't shoot two at once effectively.
So covering Chicago waist deep in guns shouldn't increase violence .

Unless there is one criminal in Chicago who can't get one, there might be one, probably not two.

But giving a gun to a good victim makes him a bad victim, not a criminal.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:15:10 PM »
They need to send for sirs to come up to Chicago and go all  Charleton Heston on them.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:01 PM »
They need to send for sirs to come up to Chicago and go all  Charleton Heston on them.

If Chicago were populated with clones of Sirs, there would obviously be very little crime , and very good orthopedic health would be common.

I do not know how this solution can be implemented , but I am and Idea man , implementation is not my department.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 10:25:54 PM »
sirs has NEVER deterred any crime. He just likes his dangerous toys, perhaps because they make him feel less wimpy.
But it is still amusing to think of sirs in Chicago, deterring all the Bad Guys.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 11:40:57 PM »
It would work.

Where it has been tried it works right well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/us/in-bid-to-allow-guns-on-campus-weapons-are-linked-to-fighting-sexual-assault.html?_r=0

The key concept is not the idea of a gun fight, it is to excite the cowardice in the perpetrator.

Suppose you were going to steal something out of a box, but the box buzzed like a rattler when you got close, perhaps you would rethink the theft idea.

Suppose you wanted to rape someone , but you find a group of women , you might wait to find one alone, but then word reaches you that one in twenty of these women are packing a trusty Roscoe, you then start thinking about the threat to yourself .

Smart criminals (yes there is such a thing) seek vulnerability.

Stupid criminals have short careers.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
Plane is right on target yet again.

You see xo, you have it so bassackwards, its quite mystifying.  Good gun nuts like me want to avoid confrontation.  The LAST thing we want to do is to pull out our roscoes, jump behind a chevy, and start plugging every bad guy we see.  It's neither a goal nor function of us good law abiding gun nuts.  Nor do we walk down the middle of the street in full bravado, just itching for someone to mess with us, knowing we're packing.  We're simply prepared, and even then, nothing can prepare you for such an attack.  But at least, we'd have a fighting chance

What we do function as, is to act as a deterrent to bad gun nuts....you know, those that would shoot us in the back of the head, or gun down some innocent youg girl simply walking with her dad in San Francisco.  Smart criminals are the ones who are going to avoid the areas we frequent and legally cleared to carry, and instead focus their bad gun nut wrath on those areas that the laws have made so restrictive to law abiding citizens, that its a good bet they can attack without fear of immediate retaliation.

As I've pointed out many a time, I've had my CCW now for over 2 decades, and never once have I had to pull my weapon or even brandish it.  But if me, my family, or any loved ones near me were to find outselves under some rare attack, by some bad gun nut, my "uselessness" will be demonstrated as nothing of the sort
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:23:29 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:18:20 PM »
   Do you know the Movie "Dr. Strangelove" ?

I recall the title character  expressing frustration that the doomsday device might be a secret, without telling the opposite side about it its deterrent effect is nil.

On a smaller scale it should be well known to the public that a certain percentage of us are armed at any time. It should be common knowledge , so that the criminals know about it.

But not which particular households are equipped, not which persons are packing, this part should be a mystery.

If I were the chief of police I would inflate the numbers , just to make my job easier and better.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
Agreed. 

And is any wonder bad gun nuts will congregate to places like Chicago, DC, NY, LA, or San Fran, knowing how far less likely the law abiding will be able to defend themselves?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
If you do not want to get shot, stay away from where the guns are.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »
I have no fear of being shot at an NRA event, an IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) event, or even a Gun Show.  I wonder why that would be.  Here's a hint....its not the gun or even # of guns

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 11:06:21 PM »
If you do not want to get shot, stay away from where the guns are.

This is very contrary to experience.

How often is a mass murder committed at a gun free zone as opposed to any other venue?

Reverse your advice , it will work better in the real world.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »
There are no guns in my home. There are no guns where I live most of my life, other than cops and guards. I have never seen any gunfights except on TV.

More guns means more people will be shot.  You idiots cannot face reality.