Author Topic: How about Cecil the Lion vs the Fugitive Dentist?  (Read 10934 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How about Cecil the Lion vs the Fugitive Dentist?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
What I particularly abhor is inequality

BINGO!
That is the crux.
I love that some people are super-talented and excel beyond all others.
The world benefits from world changers.
People that push the envelope and innovate are priceless.
People are not equal in talents.
I love and realize that some like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison,
George Washington Carver, Sir Isaac Newton, etc...are not created equal.
Their impact is unlike others....there can never be, nor should there be equality of results.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 10:11:51 PM »
The problem is not that everyone is not exactly equal. The problem is that so many lack the basic essentials. One third of the children in Miami Dade County are below. the poverty line.

There are very rich people in Scandinavia as well, but  there are very few homeless people, single mothers raising their kids in a car. In this country, there are many who will never get a decent education, not even enough to eat.

You will never be one of these bazillionaires, sirs.

There are millions of children who will never be able to demonstrate their talents. Carver was never wealthy. Edison would probably be unable to use his talents today, because he would not be capable 0f becoming an engineer.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 01:47:33 AM »
  Edison invented what modern engineering is about, if he was born more recently he would be called  Dean Kamen.

G.W.Carver was not attempting to get wealthy, he was attempting to do good things with education. True this didn't make him wealthy , but he is a success story .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dumpling_Island

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Carver

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:17:36 AM »
Liberal logic: If you shoot an animal, YOU are evil.. but.. If you shoot a human, GUNS are evil.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 10:13:20 AM »
Well summed up, C
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 11:55:25 AM »
What simpletons!

Once again, there is no bingo.

If you shoot an animal for food, that is normally not any problem. If you shoot an animal for some other reason, you are wasteful.

It depends on the animal, some animals are invasive species, like rats and perhaps raccoons.

If you shoot an animal that is a member of an endangered species for sport, then you are unwise, and the government would be wiser not to permit you to do it.

If you shot a gun and kill a human for sport, then YOU are evil and should never have been permitted to own that gun.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 12:22:00 PM »
Like that bit of rationalization?..."Normally not a problem".  Not to mention NO ONE, not even the NRA supports evil people having access to firearms.  But at least we're making some headway....we have xo rightfully applying the evil dislcaimer to the thug homicidal maniac shooting the gun, and not the gun itself.  That's at least, some progress

Not to mention, the "bingo" reference was made by Cu4 regarding the twisted crux the left has with the whole notion of equlity/inequality, and had nothing to do with the gun tangent    ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »
Now you are deflecting. Or engaged in some form of mental masturbation.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
More projection.  Get back to us when you actually have a serious response or question.....with the pertinent disclaimer that of being serious

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
If you shoot an animal for food, that is normally not any problem.
If you shoot an animal for some other reason, you are wasteful.

XO I am not really a hunter, although I might try to shoot a wild hog this winter.
However I have heard that organizations like Ducks Unlimited and deer hunters
are actually good for the populations because they keep them from over-populating and starving to death.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 03:04:41 PM »
I have nothing at all against people hunting ducks, wild boar, wild geese, deer and other animals that are not endangered if they actually eat them, or perhaps shoot pest animals like rats or raccoons. Hunters that are careless tend to shoot themselves or one another. There is a Darwin Effect occasionally.

Since natural predators like wolves and cougars are extinct in many parts of the country, they probably do maintain a balance. Of course, the natural predators eliminate mostly the weaker animals, while someone hunting with a gun may not.

The problem with this dentist is that he almost certainly was aware that the $55,000 he paid to hunt a lion would not go to the Zimbabwean government. That country is extremely corrupt. As for his hunting not being properly sporting, it was no less sporting than teenage Masai in Tanzania hunting lions with a spear.

Luring the lion off the reserve with a carcass was not very sporting. I imagine that if a Masai had a friend with a Land Rover he might try it.

Of course, a Minneapolis dentist does not really have a need to satisfy his ego by killing a lion. He does not have to face growing up with the entire tribe thinking he is a sissy. Once a park hangs a name on a particular animal, as they did with Cecil, then hunting it is clearly a big no-no.

By the way, Zimbabwe was once Rhodesia, named for CECIL Rhodes. I suspect that was where they got the name. One might expect a Zimbabwean lion to have a Shona or Ndebele name.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »
i did a quick look and everything seems to point this was an illegal hunt so the issue is not about the hunt but how it went about. from the very start it sounded illegal to me. the lion was living in a reservation that didn`t give me the impression they do this often.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 08:22:00 PM »
Kimba...I don't understand why people enjoy killing what I call "grand animals".
Hell unless under attack I could never shoot an elephant, a moose, a bear, a tiger, a rhino, etc...
But if an animal is not endangered then I am not opposed to people being able to hunt.
If not endangered and it's a wild animal...what can of worms would that open to the control freaks?
What next I can't fish for large-mouth bass?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 09:27:13 PM »
  Africa needs a reason for dentists to tour and leave behind a few thousand dollars.

Hunting is possibly a good employer , and a good reason for conservation of game animals.

The big threat to the survival of most of these animals is how useless they are to the local people , imagine how much an elephant seems a pest when it is eating the crop you planted for yourself, or what a bad neighbor a pride of Lions can be.

But suppose that tourists will pay you a months pay if you lead them to get a good look at a heard of elephants , or a years pay for a group of you if you help him shoot a Lion.

What we have here is a good reason to support wise game management, also the funds that wise management requires.

If this can't be done , what is a good alternative for the people there?

Perhaps they should eradicate all the handicaps to efficient farming the way we almost did.

There was a few decades when Deer were absent from Georgia, the deer we have now were transplanted from Virginia , by hunters.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 09:49:22 PM »
We do that here in the bay area to control the deer population in one of our islands. It really annoys the animal rights folks.

Wild pig is like rabbit totally legal to hunt to stop farm destruction.
What I truely hate is the opposition to hunt coyotes and cougers in our area that the animals rights nuts say are harmless. I grew up believing once they kill they lose they fear of killings people. Its said todays thats a myth. I say bullshit.  I know tiger that go toward explosion knowing that sound equal a dinner bell.

I always believe hunters has an important role in our society im just against idiots