Author Topic: Another article about Sandra Bland  (Read 1234 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Another article about Sandra Bland
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:40:09 PM »
There's an article in yesterday's NYT about a news conference by the Waller Co Prosecutor, Warren Diepraam, who held the event to announce his finding that Sandra Bland hung herself with a plastic garbage bag while being held in a County Jail following a bogus and brutal arrest for failing to signal a lane change.

There are other very sketchy issues in this article that are worthy of close inspection, but I'm only going to focus on the one that jumped out at me when I read it and leave it to others to deal with the rest of the news account.

Here's the passage that screamed "WTF??" at me when I read it just now:

An initial toxicology test also indicated that Ms. Bland had recently smoked or eaten marijuana, Mr. Diepraam said. He noted that because traces of marijuana leave the body quickly, she had to have consumed it not long before she died, and he said it could have been used in the jail.

Inmates near Ms. Bland’s cell did not smell marijuana smoke, and the cell contained no evidence of the drug, he said. He raised the possibility that she could have ingested it right before the traffic stop to avoid being arrested for drug possession. Explaining why the information was relevant, he said, “It is a mood-altering substance and a mood amplifier.”

More extensive drug tests may shed more light on that question later, he said.

The emphases are mine, obviously, but those lines are the ones that screamed at me, for what I assume most of you reading this already know: pot does not leave your body quickly, it stays in your system for up to a month, long after the effects of the high have completely dissipated. That this DA would insert that obvious bit of misinformation into his "finding" would be totally mystifying...if it weren't for the second set of bolded sentences in that blockquote, which can be summed up as:

"We think she killed herself because she was high after eating a bunch of pot during the traffic stop to prevent herself from being busted for drug possession."

Why the "paper of record" failed to note the completely obvious factual misstatement by the DA regarding the time it takes for trace marijuana to leave the system is  confounding but hardly surprising these days. The propensity for MJ to hang in the bloodstream for much longer than other drugs is general knowledge, not something on the cutting edge of medical science that has yet to be determined for crissake.

Final note: I wonder if this is what the "defective" autopsy thing is all about? Does the Waller Co DA need to have a higher than "trace" amount of pot in Sandra Bland's blood in order for them to bolster their suicide finding with pot as a mood enhancer, the evil weed driving her deeper into depression?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Another article about Sandra Bland
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »
Explaining why the information was relevant, he said, “It is a mood-altering substance and a mood amplifier.”

Meaning if you are generally happy and in a good mood, you get happier. If you are depressed over being arrested for a felony, being unable to raise bail, and perhaps losing your dream job, not so much.

And if she ingested it before her arrest, that would explain the levels in her system. So what's the mystery?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
If she swallowed it when they arrested her, then how did it cause her to commit suicide three days later?

I would say that is the mystery.

I had had only one experience with marijuana brownies. They tasted awful and they did not seem to have any effect on anyone, but there were witnesses to their preparation.

I have never seen anyone, including people who were depressed and had drunk too much booze, get more depressed as a result of smoking pot.

The number of false attributes of pot are legendary.

This woman should not be dead. She should not have been in jail.

There are a lot of unanswered questions, but I have my doubts that they will ever be answered.

The cops are clearly trying to cover their asses. THAT is no mystery.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah....it's a huge, nationwide police conspiracy.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 03:32:17 PM »
No, it is a local Houston cophouse conspiracy.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »
based on..........your gut?.......your "best guess"?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »
My best guesses will trump yours every time.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:49:25 AM »
Since I'm not the one guessing here, that puts your accusatory guessing sorely lacking any facts to back it up
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
So what?

This is just a conversation here, and I have no ability to make the cops shape up and tell the truth.
I only express the opinion that they have not come clean., are not telling the truth, and will probably get away with it.
If you do not like it, here comes the proverbial rolling doughnut. Prepare to launch.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:18:11 PM »
So what?

Who claimed there had to be some "final verdict'?  And no, this really isn't so much a conversation, as much as you ranting & racing to convict police officers, before all the facts are in.....yet again.  And everytime you get it wrong, I'll be here to highlight it.....yet again

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 12:56:25 PM »
Since when do I have the power to convict Texas policemen?

Since when is my saying ANYTHING here going to influence events in Texas in any way?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »
Since when did anyone claim you did or even should??    :o   This is merely just a continuation of you condeming police officers before any facts are in.  And then even after the facts of previous cases, that pretty much clears the police, you still condemn them for some made up conspirarcy that you have not 1 shred of evidence or proof of

NOTHING to do with Teaxs
NOTHING to do with some bizarre judicial power
NOTHING to do with influencing anyone in any way

Try to focuse on ACTUAL events of abuse of their authority, which there is plenty of, by a small contingent of bad apples, vs trying to make something up that isn't there, based on nothing more than skin color & biased hatred