Author Topic: I just realized raising minimum wage means our taxes cant subsides these workers  (Read 2199 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Which workers?
What minimum wage?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
In the LA area, Unions are trying to exmpt themselves from it.  No surprise there
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Kimba does not live in LA, why do you assume that this is the place?

The Los Angeles raise in the minimum is a gradual raise. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I didn't assume anything.....I'm merely pointing out a fact, that as soon as a $15/hr minimum wage ordinance was passed here in the LA region, pushed heavily by the Unions, I might add, Unions then immediately went into overdrive to try and get themselves exempt
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  Rebuttal

....The problem with this is that only one of those programs is a subsidy to WalMart: all of the others are subsidies to the workers and thus are, in fact, costs to WalMart. For, as Bryan Caplan has pointed out, it matters whether you get the benefit of the welfare payment or service whether you are in work or out of it. Benefits that you get out of work are not benefits to potential employers. They are costs to them, for they raise your reservation wage.

So, yes, the staff at WalMart do get that $6.2 billion in aid (let’s not quibble about the way they’ve calculated the figure). But now we’ve got to try and work out whether it’s a subsidy to WalMart or not? In order to do this think of if WalMart did not exist. Would those people still be getting $6.2 billion in aid? They would be, as the unemployed, getting Medicaid, school lunches, breakfast, Section 8 vouchers and so on. So, it’s not a subsidy to WalMart at all as the existence or not of WalMart doesn’t change the amount paid.

Actually, we can go further, these people would be getting more taxpayer money if WalMart didn’t exist........

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/04/14/phantastical-nonsense-about-walmart-the-waltons-and-7-8-billion-in-tax-breaks/

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
If WalMart did not exist, the same customers would buy their stuff in other stores, probably smaller and less efficient ones, and there would probably be more hours of work available. WalMart pays more than most of the Latino supermarkets in Miami, and I think more than WinnDixie. Aldi's, Publix, and Whole Foods pay more.

The biggest gripe about WalMart is that they do not offer full time jobs to most of their employees.  I do not know what the practices of other stores is.

It is incorrect to assume that if Wal Mart did not exist, the people who work for them would all be unemployed.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Actually msybe not. Walmart has been very aggressive in controlling how retail function around it and o have notice it tends to make things depressed. Maybe a coincidence but alot of businesses has bellyup since these mega stores started popping up.

It very uncertain that without walmart tax dollars will be less spent. Since its wages are set to insure subsidies are spent . Unlike other jobs which does not get this tag

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Walmart probably plans the way it grants hours to workers to match welfare subsidies. It knows how many children its workers have, whether they are married, where they live and lots of other data. No Ma & Pa store could successfully use this data to its own advantage.

Recently, Aldi's a German chain, has opened up a lot more stores, and they have WalMart beat on price and convenience, since they do not make customers wait in line so long, and are much smaller, parking problems are fewer. It is easier to find the groceries you want in a smaller store. If you buy house brands, Aldis as well as Save-A-Lot have WalMart beat on prices. Both of these do make you bag your own groceries, and pay for the bags, if you do not bring your own. WalMart makes it hard to bag your own, as they use a bagging carrousel. When Public=x has a sale, their prices are lower than WalMart, and the quality is always the best.

Aldi's owns Trader Joe's, that has the same format as Aldi's, but there are fewer Trader Joe stores.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Just realize the very concept of businesses paying so low the employees needs government assistance means no economic stimulus in that areas which explains what i witness at several areas which has walmarts.

Now the reverse can be said in high priced areas which needs a walmart like san francisco. It's so costly that people buy outside of that town. So a walmart is much needed there.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Now the reverse can be said in high priced areas which needs a walmart like san francisco. It's so costly that people buy outside of that town. So a walmart is much needed there.

I can't compare Georgia areas with WallMart to areas without, Wallmarts are as common throughout Georgia as fleas are on a Dog.