Author Topic: "What I particularly abhor is inequality"  (Read 5045 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"What I particularly abhor is inequality"
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »
This was such a great window into the mindset of the left, I wanted to start its own thread.  And in particular, I came across an excellent op-ed, on the concept of equality/inequality. 

Again, putting aside there is no right to financial/economic equality, policies pushed by the left to addres supposed inquality, frequently exacerbate the status quo, providing even wider gaps between the rich & poor, as the middle class gets completely screwed, while completely ignoring what's inheirent to the "inequality" to begin with.  Here's a hint, rarely, if ever, does it have to do with discrimination
------------------------------------------

A particular act or policy might not have a discriminatory intent, but that doesn't let you off the hook. If it has a disproportionately negative impact on so-called protected classes, it is said to have a disparate impact and risks being prohibited by law. The uninformed assumption made by judges, lawyers and academics is that but for the fact of racial and sex discrimination, we all would be distributed across occupations, educational backgrounds and other socio-economic characteristics according to our percentages in the population. Such a vision is absolute nonsense. There is no evidence, anywhere, at any time, that but for the fact of discrimination, there would be proportional representation among various socio-economic characteristics. Let's look at some disproportionalities, with an eye toward discovering the causes and then deciding what to do about them.

If one were to list the world's top 30 violinists of the 20th century, at least 25 of them would be of Jewish ancestry. Another disparity is that despite the fact that Jews are less than 3 percent of the U.S. population and a mere 0.2 percent of the world's population, during the 20th century, Jews were 35 percent of American and 22 percent of the world's Nobel Prize winners. Are Jews taking violin excellence and Nobel Prizes that belong to other ethnicities? If America's diversity worshipers see under representation as probative of racial discrimination, what do they propose be done about over representation?

Over representation may be seen as denial of opportunity. For example, blacks are 13 percent of our population but about 80 percent of professional basketball players and 65 percent of professional football players and among the highest-paid players in both sports. By stark contrast, blacks are only 2 percent of the NHL's professional ice hockey players. Basketball, football and ice hockey represent gross racial disparities and as such come nowhere close to "looking like America." Do these statistics mean that the owners of multibillion-dollar basketball and football operations are nice guys and ice hockey owners are racists? By the way, just because blacks are 65 percent of professional football players, let's not lull ourselves into complacency. When's the last time you saw a black NFL kicker or punter?

There are even geographical disparities. Not a single player in the NHL's history can boast of having been born and raised in Hawaii, Louisiana or Mississippi. Geographical disparities are not only limited to ice hockey. The population statistics for North and South Dakota, Iowa, Maine, Montana and Vermont show that not even 1 percent of their population is black. In states such as Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, blacks are overrepresented. When such racial disparities were found in schooling, the remedy was busing. I'll tell you one thing; I'm not moving to Montana. It's too cold.

Geographical disparities don't only apply to the U.S. Historically, none of the world's greatest seamen has been born and raised in a Himalayan nation, such as Nepal and Bhutan, or a sub-Saharan nation of Africa. They mostly have been from Scandinavia, other parts of Europe, East Asia or the South Pacific.

Being a man, I find another disproportionality particularly disturbing. According to a recent study conducted by Bond University in Australia, sharks are nine times likelier to attack and kill men than they are women. Such a disproportionality leads to only one conclusion: Sharks are sexist. Another disturbing sex disparity is that despite the fact that men are 50 percent of the population and so are women, men are struck by lightning six times as often as women. Of those killed by lightning, 82 percent are men. I wonder what whoever is in charge of lightning has against men.

Differences are seen by many as signs of inequality. Nobel laureate Milton Friedman put it best: "A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Equality in conjunction with the general rules of law is the only kind of equality conducive to liberty that can be secured without destroying liberty.

Commentary
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: "What I particularly abhor is inequality"
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:38:34 AM »
Milton Freeman was full of crap.

The truly innovative people have rarely been motivated by huge amounts of money. Jonas Salk, Edward Land of Polaroid,  were motivated by the joy of discovering a new way to do things. People that are motivated by the Big Bucks go where the big bucks are: banking, hedge fund managers, real estate developers.

No one turns down a huge fortune, but if Bill Gates and Warren Buffett were motivated by money, then they would not be giving most of it away.

Do not expect Rupert Murdock or Carl Icahn to be giving away their fortunes, though.

Most people who claim that the major motivation is money do so because that is THEIR major motivation. But they are not creative people, nor will they ever be.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
Do not expect Rupert Murdock or Carl Icahn to be giving away their fortunes, though.

Carl Icahn:

One of the top fifty most generous people in the United States, billionaire and business magnate Carl Icahn has three separate foundations and last year gave $200 million to the Mt Sinai medical school in New York City. Icahn has also founded and currently support six charter schools, all of whom report significantly higher test averages on reading and math than public school students. Carl Icahn says that the major challenge of today is the disparity in the United States between the very rich and the poor working class who are not afforded the same opportunities, which is why education is his main pursuit in charitable giving. Icahn has three foundations, the Icahn Charitable Foundation, Foundation for a Greater Opportunity, and Children?s Rescue Fund. Through these foundations he has the charter schools and charitable gifts, as well as scholarships funds and a housing complex for single mothers and their children, as well as a homeless shelter in the Bronx. He is also a member of The Giving Pledge, although he committed to bestowing all of his wealth to charity twenty years before the project came to light.

https://philanthropy.com/article/No-8-Carl-Icahn/155493
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:10 AM »
Ouch
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:16 PM »
Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have Icahn beat by many a mile.

You read hype, then you believe it.

And in any case, the issue is that TRUE INNOVATORS like Gates, Sabin, Salk, Land,  probably not Buffett or Icahn, are motivated only by huge fortunes. Actually, very few of them are.

So Icahn is not even in the running as any sort of innovator.  All he does is buy companies, throw people out of work, loot the company's assets and resell it. He is the guy that destroyed TWA in just that manner. That is not innovation: it is legalized piracy.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Your grasp of mind reading, and a person's "intent" is shall we say, sorely lacking in ability

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
I do not need to read anyone's intent.

I was commenting on what innovators have said and what their biographers have said about them.

Creative people ( who you do not understand, being one of the least creative critters on this planet) are mostly motivated by goals other than vast fortunes. Medical innovators are motivated by ending suffering.  We do not have many Edisons and Teslas around, since modern innovators tend to work in groups, because simple inventions have largely been invented. The light bulb is a lot more simple than the LED or the photocopier. The Internet was  created by people working for the military, it was originally called ARPANET.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
Apparently you have that gift of mind reading, since you, and you alone, know why anyone that became wealthy, the priorities of their motivation.  You should really sell that gift to the highest bidder

So, can you provide a quote by ..... oh, let's say Murdoch, that his sole motivation to succeed in business was to make as much $$$ as possible.   

It's interesting how you grabbed only 2 rich names, and 1 was already shot down as supposedly not being generous with his monies.  You do also realize that multiple stories have been provided that demonstrates Conservatives & Republicans as FAR more generous in their charitable giving than Liberals, right?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 01:08:22 PM »
I have no idea. This is about creative people and their motivations, not the politics of rich people.

Here is one good way to help creative people be creative. I think it has been more successful than the lure of great wealth.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/John_D._and_Catherine_T._MacArthur_Foundation.aspx

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »
I understand your need to keep moving the goalposts.  Point being, YOU HAVE NO FRICKEN CLUE WHAT MOTIVATES SOMEONE.  You seemed to be under some twisted reality that if a person is rich and supports leftist causes, their intentions of becoming wealthy was purely coincidental.  But if they're rich and they support conservative causes, they're just greedy bastards.....DESPITE the fact that Conservatives support more charitable causes than their liberal counterparts

Which again is all completely beside the point of the article, in that inequality is natural phenomenon.  Just because inequlaity exists doesn't automatically mean something is wrong, or someone(s) are being discriminated agaist.  There is no rational basis to push the notion that the rich need to have their wealth siphoned to give to the poor.  "A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
People tell us what motivates them. All you have to do is read their autobiographies  and biographies. If they are interested mostly in money, they drone on about the good news their accountants have told them. This is not normally the case for the truly creative people. Read some interviews with Elon Musk or Steve Jobs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 12:28:52 AM »
People tell us what motivates them. All you have to do is read their autobiographies  and biographies.

So, show us where Murdoch is quoted that money is his #1 motivator to being successful

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/books/review/Carr-t.html?partner=rssjborbamp;emc=rss&_r=0

Murdock does not like to talk about his motives, but this biography makes it pretty clear that money and the satisfaction of his huge ego are his main motivators.

You would have to actually read the entire book to understand why I say this, but this review seems to do a fair job.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 06:45:56 PM »
Sorry, you can't point to a book, and say the answer is in there somewhere.   YOU get to back up your own accusation. .... provide us a quote  (from the book if you'd like) that clearly supports your claim that Murdoch is only motivated by money, as in HIS words, or a biographer perhaps

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »
Read the book or fuck off, sirs. I am not going to read to you.