Author Topic: What sets Jeb apart?  (Read 7832 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What sets Jeb apart?
« on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:13 AM »
The media is ignoring this telling Jeb Bush gaffe
Updated by Dylan Matthews on August 7, 2015, 11:10 a.m. ET

Texas Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower once famously said of George Bush Sr., "He is a man who was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple." There has never been a better illustration of that attitude in the Bush family than this verbal slip-up Jeb Bush made in last night's Republican presidential debate, when challenged by Fox News moderator Bret Baier to address "the real concern in this country about dynastic politics:

"I've got a record in Florida. I'm proud of my dad, and I'm certainly proud of my brother. In Florida, they called me Jeb, because I earned it."

Jeb is called Jeb because his name is John Ellis Bush, a name given to him by George H. W. and Barbara Bush. He is claiming that he "earned" something that was literally bestowed upon him by his parents. In hindsight, he probably meant to use the "earned" line later in his answer, where he bragged about being known as "Veto Corleone" because of his 2,500 line-item vetoes of spending programs. But intentional or not, it's not a very compelling way to rebut concerns about dynastic politics.

More than a bungled answer, this seems to be a genuine blind spot. Just before Nameghazi, Bush contended that he faces "a higher bar" as a presidential aspirant due to his family connections, when the reality — obvious to anyone but a member of his immediate family — is that there's no way an ex-governor who left office in 2007 would be leading in fundraising or endorsements absent a vast political network bequeathed to him by his father and brother. Just ask George Pataki.

“He is claiming that he "earned" something that was literally bestowed upon him by his parents”

The rest of his answer was a rote recitation of some highlights from his tenure as Florida governor: tax cuts and balanced budgets every year, expanded fiscal reserves, a AAA bond rating, the spending vetoes, 1.3 million jobs created. Sure, fine. But how exactly does this set him apart from his brother?

Jeb Bush put zero distance between himself and his brother

You know who else signed tax cuts?

After all, Jeb's brother passed big tax cuts, both as president and as governor of Texas, too. Of course Jeb balanced the budget; that's literally a constitutional requirement in Florida. Jeb could not legally submit or sign into law a budget that wasn't balanced.

The spending vetoes aren't a differentiating factor either; the federal government doesn't have a line-item veto whereby presidents can excise specific provisions from budgets. And the jobs brag, if anything, ties him more closely to his brother. For six of Jeb's eight years in office, his brother was president, and one could plausibly argue that George had more effect on the economy of Florida than Jeb did.

Contrast this with what Jeb could've said if he really wanted to differentiate himself from his brother. He could have said that the Iraq war was misconceived and that the US shouldn't engage in nation-building efforts like it in the future. He could have denounced his brother's torture regime. He could have argued that his brother's administration was too lax on Wall Street and embraced reforms like those his primary opponent Rick Perry and Sen. David Vitter (R-LA) have promoted. He could have denounced No Child Left Behind as a failed experiment in federal control over education. He could have criticized his brother's Civil Rights Division for hacking away at the right to vote.

But he can't do any of that. He has already gotten into trouble for goofing and saying that he would've invaded Iraq even knowing what we know now, before clarifying and saying he would've invaded knowing what we knew then, which is still pretty bad. He has also surrounded himself with advisers from his brother's administration, including dyed-in-the-wool neoconservatives like Paul Wolfowitz and Paula Dobriansky (not to mention former NSA director and surveillance proponent Michael Hayden).

He can't distance himself from his brother on education because he's also a fervent proponent of an accountability agenda and federally promoted standards. He can't attack his brother on financial regulation because he's heavily reliant on Wall Street for campaign cash. He can't criticize his brother on voting rights because he restricted early voting and purged voter rolls as governor of Florida, and has supported voter ID laws.

Those aren't the only possible lines of differentiation, of course. He could have attacked his brother's administration for spending too much and for adding a costly entitlement in the form of Medicare Part D. He could have lambasted the handling of Hurricane Katrina, comparing it with his widely praised handling of hurricanes in Florida during his tenure. Neither of those contradicts past positions Jeb has taken — and Jeb has even mildly criticized his brother's spending record already.

But when Baier handed him a perfect opportunity to make that contrast again, he refused.

"When you love someone or your brother or your dad, it’s not easy for me to throw them under the bus to make myself look better," Bush said in an interview in June. "I just can’t do that."

In a joint interview with his brother in 2010, he went further: "I am the only Republican that was in office when he was in office as president that never disagreed with him. And I’m not going to start now. 'Til death do us part."

It's a nice familial sentiment. But Bush fatigue is real, and Jeb has to find a way to acknowledge his brother's screw-ups if he's going to have any hope of beating it.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/7/9116053/republican-debate-jeb-bush
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: What sets Jeb apart?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
   Great great great....

If we get offered a choice between Clinton fatigue and Bush fatigue voter turnout will hit record lows , even in states where they don't care who you are when you vote.

On the Upside , the low turnout will make cheats easy to catch.

Hmmmm... JEB has not ever made the cover of Time?
Oh there he is , he just hasn't been on the cover of Time by himself. Time made him share the space , as if his importance arises from his connection.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/23/bill-told-hillary-to-run-for-office-instead-of-marrying-him/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/03/05/just-how-much-money-is-jeb-bush-going-to-raise/

http://time.com/3732647/jeb-bush-cover-story/

http://www.ethiogrio.com/news/world-news/20225-did-time-magazine-just-put-devil-horns-on-hillary-clinton-s-head-subtle-political-jab-has-democrats-seeing-red.html

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:43:41 PM »
I absolutely agree that both the Bush & Clinton fatigue is real & tangible.  I would reluctantly support Bush, if he were the GOP nominee, but I'm sure hoping the delegates are not swayed by the name or money, that either bring to the table, as a supposed prerequisite for becoming Commander & Chief
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:05:44 PM »
Jeb had a very poor performance in the debate...Zzzzzz....but the Oligarchy probably still likes him.

We are still a long way from the finish line.

Dr. Carson probably has the highest IQ of any candidate running from either Party.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:35 PM »
Agreed.   Here's hoping Carly is invited to the next go around,  as she blew away the others in the earlier debate?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:37:34 AM »
Yes.

She deserves her time.

I hope that there is a good way to let each one of them speak at greater length.

I think that Trump would loose some of his charm if he was speaking longer.

Jeb might explain himself better if he was not trying so hard to be brief .

Carson might prove to have the charm, if he had the time to say something.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:52:15 AM »
When Carson has had the time to say something, he has said DUMB things... like saying Obamacare was the worst thing since slavery.

Any way you look at it, that is one dumb remark
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »
Obamination Care is very likely fhe worst piece of crap legislation thats ever been saddled on this country. .... made worse by the fact it was not only passed on a pure party line basis, but fhe Dems had to pull some reconciliation maneuver, never used before on such a massive piece of crap legislation

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
It was passed legally.
The Republican'ts refused to participate, even though it was a very close copy to Romneycare.

It will be reformed to make it more efficient, it was badly needed, and it was NOTHING like slavery.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 01:17:02 PM »
There is nothing dumber than the Iraq Wars. The first one happened because of deliberate of incompetent diplomacy, the second was based on deliberate deceit and exaggeration. It was hard to do, but the Iraq War rivaled the Vietnam War as an exercise in futility. Of course, after Vietnam, the Vietnamese posed no threat to the US as perhaps Isis does now.

The deceit, incompetence and idiocy of the Bushes was unrivaled by any administration, and now we have a third Bush waiting to screw thing up even more. If money is spent to make Americans healthy, at least it stays in the country. Money sent to Iraq leaves the country and has no multiplier effect on the economy.

Ben Carson likes to say provocative, stupid things. He should stick to medicine.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
Obamination Care is very likely fhe worst piece of crap legislation thats ever been saddled on this country...

Jonathan Gruber, a professor at MIT and an architect of Obamacare admits they had to lie to get ObamanationCare passed!

During a panel event last year about how the legislation passed, turning over a sixth of the U.S. economy to the government, Gruber admitted that the Obama administration went through "tortuous" measures to keep the facts about the legislation from the American people, including covering up the redistribution of wealth from the healthy to the sick in the legislation that Obamacare is in fact a tax. The video of his comments just recently surfaced ahead of the second open enrollment period for Obamacare at Healthcare.gov.

"You can't do it political, you just literally cannot do it. Transparent financing and also transparent spending. I mean, this bill was written in a tortured way to make sure CBO did not score the mandate as taxes. If CBO scored the mandate as taxes the bill dies. Okay? So it's written to do that," Gruber said. "In terms of risk rated subsidies, if you had a law which said that healthy people are going to pay in, you made explicit healthy people pay in and sick people get money, it would not have passed. Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage. And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really really critical to get for the thing to pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G790p0LcgbI
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:16:10 PM by Christians4LessGvt »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
speaking of Iraq....

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »
The United States government was doing the waterboarding of people they thought, often mistakenly, were terrorists.
The people killing Christians in Iraq and Syria are NOT  Americans, but Sunnis, over whom the US government has no control.

The Juniorbushies invaded Iraq, provoking religious wars Sunnis against Shias and everyone else. I didn't hear Rumsfeld or Cheney or Juniorbush say one damned word of sympathy for the Christians, Zahidis, Druses and Armenians in Iraq. The Syrian revolution occurred as a direct result of the tons of weapons that became available to Syrians as a result of the Iraqi War.  I am very much against killing Christians or any innocent parties anywhere, but the US government is not killing Christians and others with taxpayer money. We cannot demand our congress people to withdraw funding of these killers.

Fools who rooted for war are far more to balme than those of us who were against invading Iraq in the first place.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 04:21:13 AM »
It was passed legally.

No one claimed it wasn't, Dr Deflection.  What WAS done, was to lie in what it was to do, and pass it on not just  apure party line basis, but thru a reconciliation procedure, to make sure nothing culd stop it

The Republican'ts refused to participate, even though it was a very close copy to Romneycare.

Nor should they have, as Romneycare was crap, otherwise they'd be married to the worst piece of crap legislation as well.  Currently, this piece of crap belongs solely to the Democrats.  The GOP had multiple other options that the Demawon'ts, under Reid & Pelosi wouldn't even allow to be voted on.  Nope, with the Dems it was this crap, and nothing else

It will be reformed to make it more efficient,

It is logistically IMPOSSIBLE to make this more "efficient"

it was badly needed,

What was "badly needed" was bipartisan support of legislation to target what was so "badly needed"....that being to help insure those with pre-existing conditions

and it was NOTHING like slavery.

CONTEXT Xo....the reference was that Obamination care was not "like Slavery", merely that Carson believes that its as bad as.  Which is's likely correct in that deduction

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
AS bad as slavery? Really?  That is lunacy. A stupid remark. The guy likes to put his foot in his mouth to draw attention, just like Cruz, Trump and Huckleberry. NOT presidential.