Author Topic: What is enough firearm?  (Read 2338 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is enough firearm?
« on: September 26, 2015, 06:27:33 PM »
http://bearingarms.com/tiny-single-stack-handgun-cute-bro/

How predictable is the trouble?

If you think it is unlikely that you will be assaulted , maybe you don't need a gun at all.

If it is unlikely that you could be in a fight with several enemies, perhaps you don't need a large magazine.

Sure , but if the odds are one in an hundred , does that mean odds are even for three assaults a year?

What if odds are so good that you can only expect one assault in a lifetime? Do you want to do what it takes to be ready for that rare event?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: What is enough firearm?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »
http://bearingarms.com/concealed-carrier-kills-restaurant-active-shooter-houston/

Only the attacker dies.

Such results cannot be depended on , but such result can be made impossible.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »
10-percent of your registered gun owners are felons, Maryland?

http://bearingarms.com/maryland-considers-bill-to-confiscate-guns-from-110000-registered-gun-owners/

This is why the majority of gun buyers required to register in NY state didn't.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
It's rare that one can be "overgunned".  The worst case scenario is using your firearm, and with the threat still present, and being out of ammunition.  Of course, the argument at that point, is you fired 6-10 shots, and the attacker is still present, then where exactly did your rounds go?  Suffice to say, I'd still error on the double stack magazine, with 1 spare.  In case the attacker has friends that aren't so easily dissuaded 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 09:12:57 PM »
I think the usual idea is that once you shoot one assailant, the rest of them are likely to flee.

I note that the actual number of guns required by the original poster is zero.

His paranoia, however, causes him to consider that perhaps twice as many would be needed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:42:33 AM »
I think the usual idea is that once you shoot one assailant, the rest of them are likely to flee.

That's generally what happens.  Bad guys don't like getting shot.  It's why they generally attempt to prey on the weak and UNARMED

But since no one, outside of xo of course, can read minds, its better to have too much ammunition vs no ammunition.  And that has nothing to do with paranoia.....simply common sense
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
It is not common sense for every adult citizen to  roam about armed to commit mass murder should the need arise.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 03:17:59 PM »
It is not common sense for every adult citizen to  roam about armed to commit mass murder should the need arise.

Why is it not?

I would say that it was exactly common sense.

It is disarming the honest and true that makes no sense at all.

Sometimes I think that the gun grabbing constituency , if offered a chance to confiscate 99% of all guns would do it, Even of the result was that the remaining 1% were all in the hands of mad killers.

There is only a small percentage of us that do commit murder, incomprehensible it is that there is a strong minority that effectively wants policies in force to ensure this small percent is well armed and no one else is. 

Then call That "sense".

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 04:40:40 PM »
It would only make sense if there were many gangs of armed brigands roaming about robbing and pillaging the citizens. This was barely true in the final days of the Civil War and in Gold Strike towns in the West.

I have never carried a loaded gun with me, and that has been adequate protection for my entire life. There are a number of gun nuts in my neighborhood, as I hear them shooting every week or so.  On New Years and July 4th, they tend to get drunk (I assume) and there are a variety of guns going off. I do not venture out on such nights.

I probably wouldn't even if I didn't hear gunshots. I bet I have heard more real guns going off than Clint Eastwood and Charleton Heston put together, except for Eastwood's military experience.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 06:30:20 PM »
There's plenty enough bad guys, roaming the streets currently, illegally armed to the teeth, to warrant folks exercising their 2nd amendment right, in defending themselves and their loved ones....not to mention any innocent folks that happen to also be present

And good for you to choose not to have one.  You demonstrate an overt amount of ignorance in how firerams are used by the law abiding, that would make you more of a danger to the public at large.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »
It would only make sense if there were many gangs of armed brigands roaming about robbing and pillaging the citizens.

No.

The logic is the same with few such .

How many are there really?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »
Casull .454 - necked down .45-70 rifle cartridge in a custom revolver.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »
Reminds me of the line in Quigley Down Under, when Tom Selleck's character is referencing his firearm & ammunition....."You know your weapons. It's a lever-action, breach-loader. Usual barrel length's thirty inches. This one has an extra four. It's converted to use a special forty-five caliber, hundred-and-ten-grain metal cartridge, with a five-hundred-forty-grain paper patch bullet. It's fitted with double-set triggers, and a Vernier sight, marked up to twelve-hundred yards. This one shoots a mite further."       8)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
Casull .454 - necked down .45-70 rifle cartridge in a custom revolver.

Sounds like a good choice for a walk around Kodiak Island.