Author Topic: Umpqua Community College  (Read 24115 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Umpqua Community College
« on: October 01, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
In a joint statement, the American Association of Community Colleges and the Association of Community College Trustees said called the shootings a "tragedy" and said they were committed to on-campus safety and security.

But "while campus safety is of the utmost priority, due to their open nature, college and university campuses are susceptible to these types of events," the organizations said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/oregon-college-shooting/multiple-casualties-after-shooting-umpqua-community-college-n437051

No.

They are not going to do anything that might even be slightly effective.

Aren't these the guys that made the campus gun free zone in the first place?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Umpqua Community College
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 10:00:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTvEEaYX-SA

President makes Moronic speech.

Yes , this same speech would be moronic if it were delivered by a white president.

Long version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1658140055&feature=iv&src_vid=oTvEEaYX-SA&v=NXDWKVsWV4k
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:11:34 PM by Plane »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 12:07:02 AM »
Research financed by Bloomberg.

http://everytownresearch.org/reports/mass-shootings-analysis/

Ninety-one of the 133 incidents (68%) took place wholly in private residences. Of the 37 incidents in public spaces, at least 21 took place wholly or in part where concealed guns could be lawfully carried. All told, no more than 17 of the shootings (13%) took place entirely in public spaces that were so-called “gun-free zones.”

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Research financed by Dr. John R. Lott, Jr

http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/CPRC-Mass-Shooting-Analysis-Bloomberg2.pdf

Since
only
percent of mass public
shootings
have occurred in places where
civilians are allowed to defend themselves.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Bloomberg definitely minimizes this , Lott might be fairly suspected of inflating this, but both are on the same side of center on the safety of a gun free zone.

You are more liable to this sort of incident in a gun free zone.

If Bloomberg is pointing out his opinion that only 13% of these happen in gun free zones, try to remember that far less than one percent of this landmass is a gun free zone.

So there is not real disagreement that gun free zones increase the danger, the entire disagreement is in how much it  increases the danger.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 04:50:06 AM »
If Bloomberg is pointing out his opinion that only 13% of these happen in gun free zones, try to remember that far less than one percent of this landmass is a gun free zone.

So there is not real disagreement that gun free zones increase the danger, the entire disagreement is in how much it  increases the danger.

Bingo....as in bottom line, the risk is greater in such designated "we're defenseless zones"..... I mean "gun free zones"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:15:02 AM »
  I am kinda sorry that I posted so much , but I watched the presidents speech and got wound up by it.

I don't suppose he is aware of how he seems .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Everyone needs to pack heat to attend community college, obviously.

This crap happens about every other month... only in this country.

American Exceptionalism at work.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 10:33:44 AM »
And in this country, one more time, more people are saved using a firearm, than those taken by one.  This happens every day, not just every other month
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:04:08 PM »
Strangely, people are not saved in Europe or Japan by civilian firearms... Because they are not threatened by guns in the first place.

The US has a murder rate and a gun accident rate higher than any other developed nation.

Your argument is spurious and I reject it entirely. Just more useless gun nut crap.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Not so strangely is because they don't have the same freedoms we do in carrying civilian firearms.  Point remains unrefuted however that expnentially MORE lives are saved in THIS country, than those taken, in the attempted use to kill someone with a firearm

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 02:58:10 PM »
You were previously full of shit, and you continue to be full of shit.

If we wanted to be safe, we would make owning guns much more difficult, as saner countries do.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
as somebody who work with armed coworkers. I got mixed feelings. the majority are highly responsible who I can trust with my safety but  I do know people that hint they raped and killed overseas as sign of manhood. Not all servicemen deserve our respect.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »
Well, when the left redefines facts as AMBE, then guilty as charged

Owning guns isn't the issue or the problem.  Bad guys using them illegally is.  So, until the focus is on the bad guys and not the guns, then the more guns are going to be needed to deal with the bad guys, since they could care less about gun ownership.  What they care about is as defenseless a victim can be

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 10:26:24 PM »
as somebody who work with armed coworkers. I got mixed feelings. the majority are highly responsible who I can trust with my safety but  I do know people that hint they raped and killed overseas as sign of manhood. Not all servicemen deserve our respect.

This suggests a thought experiment.

Imagine all of these guys , the responsible and the irresponsible, being ordered to leave their guns behind.

Do the responsible obey?
Do the irresponsible obey?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 10:38:01 PM »
Strangely, people are not saved in Europe or Japan by civilian firearms... Because they are not threatened by guns in the first place.

The US has a murder rate and a gun accident rate higher than any other developed nation.

Your argument is spurious and I reject it entirely. Just more useless gun nut crap.

Why don't you consider any South American Country to be "Developed"?

The US is actually right in the middle of the Pack in terms of the prevalence of violence .

And not all of the less developed are behind us.

Including the "developed" qualifier allows the argument to exclude any nation that does not support the theory.

Including all of the nations makes us look a lot better.

And we really have more in common with Brazil than we have in common with Norway.

So what is it that makes a nation "developed"?

Is it having less violent crime than the US?

There are nations with more violence than the US and stricter gun control.
There are nations with more access to guns and less violence.

The "developed" qualifier is spurious , if we had tougher gun control we might just as well move in the direction of Columbia as in the direction of France.

And we have more in common with Mexico than we have with any part of Europe.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 09:51:22 AM »

Why don't you consider any South American Country to be "Developed"?

The US is actually right in the middle of the Pack in terms of the prevalence of violence .

And not all of the less developed are behind us.

==================================================================
Because they are middle income countries with an even bigger gap between the rich and the poor. I have been to many of them, you have not.
They are quite developed in the intellectual area. The people, however,  lack money.
In the Dominican Republic, about a tenth of the people are middle class or richer. The 90% are poor by any standard. Poverty is concentrated away from the capital and the tourist areas, but the odds are that the people who wait on you in the fancy hotels do not have water on tap all the time, or electricity 24/7.
Uruguay, Chile and Ecuador are quite pleasant places to live if you can afford to eat and have a house with water and electricity.
This country is becoming more like Venezuela and less like Norway every year.
Republicans actively support this change. That call it "progress" and "freedom to rise". How can you experience the joy of bringing yourself out of grinding poverty unless there is ample poverty grinding around you?