Author Topic: Tragedy in San Bernadino  (Read 14204 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tragedy in San Bernadino
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »
I hardly think that permitting civilians to own bazookas, grenades and grenade launchers would be in any way advantageous. If they were readily available, we would have nuts going around saying "When bazookas are outlawed, only outlaws will have bazookas." The same with grenades and all the rest.

There is little chance that firearms will be confiscated by the government, but many fewer people would die if they were, and it would not make us less free, just less violent and less likely to  shot.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2015, 10:51:18 PM »
Why?  It's the same concept.  In fact, as Plane pointed out, back in the 1790's we had the SAME firearms as the military.  Not the case now is it.  So.....are you supporting Plane's idea that we be allowed to have the same military firearms as the military?

Bottom line is that the amendment itself is specific to "the general population", just as every other Bill of Rights' amendment is specific to.  A well regulated militia is simply the needed cherry on top, towards maintaining the freedoms we hold and have died for

The more complex weapons require more training.

The Militia of Switzerland is a lot like what I want , and the indoctrination of discipline would be good for most of us.

Especially those of us that would maintain a weapon, discipline is part and parcel of keeping that thing harmless most of the time.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2015, 10:53:06 PM »
The Swiss do not send members of the militia home with bazookas. All anyone gets is a rifle. Everything else says in an armory, of which there are many.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »
The Swiss do not send members of the militia home with bazookas. All anyone gets is a rifle. Everything else says in an armory, of which there are many.

This is only true of recently.

They used to trust their people with heavy machineguns and mortars, this worked fine and didn't cause crime.

IN the last few years they seem to have elected some less trustworthy people .

You can tell they are not trustworthy , when they don't trust you.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:37 AM »
I've been to switzerland an in no way can we follow them anytime soon. They are very different people. i just dont see americans doing anything like them. Am i insulting americans. Hell yes. Tough. I'll also say the adult should  learn to pull up thier pants and prove me wrong.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
Switzerland is certainly not the United States. The Swiss are far more orderly than Americans.

I liked this book a lot.

https://cs.brown.edu/~sk/Personal/Books/McPhee-Place-Concorde-Suisse/

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
The keyword that pops to me is refreshers. I work with armed people and i know some of these guys would be highly offended to the very notion of updating thier skills. I woukd have a hard time believing americans can handle this also. I know several people who barely if not outright fail to maintain thier permits to work or drive.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
I've been to switzerland an in no way can we follow them anytime soon. They are very different people. i just dont see americans doing anything like them. Am i insulting americans. Hell yes. Tough. I'll also say the adult should  learn to pull up thier pants and prove me wrong.

Well , what do you think the authors of the Bill of Rights intended by calling for a well ordered militia?

Is this a chicken or egg argument?

Can the Swiss manage a militia because they are disciplined , or are they disciplined because they have militia training?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 01:18:44 PM »
Obviously they are disciplined to use arms because of the training. They are probably disciplined at home to follow the directions of their parents as well.
The Swiss do not have their rifles at home to defend themselves from burglars or terrorists. It is for national defense against foreign invaders. The percentage of gun nuts in Switzerland is surely lower than in the US.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 02:00:49 PM »
it's not just guns switzerland has a greater political participation from its citizens than america. We keep making gun a singular topic. Thier are numerous overlapping issues that are involved. Culture,politic, finance,health,childcare,education.

Gun control singular is a sloppy way to deal with it.

I felt like i was in a adavanced civilization when i was there. Due to the fact it's the only place i can get serious good wifi compared to anywhere else in europe. Everything everything was orderly there. Everything was clean . Ok alittle less comfort than us yanks are used to but clean

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
According to the CDC, over 30,000 people have died from falling.

We need to have more "common sense" regulations and licensing for standing, walking, and running!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »
  What part of that Swiss experience is impossible for us?

And I won't accept that they are all one sort , they have three official languages , from groups that have had a lot of fights. They could be divided if they wanted to be.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 06:35:53 PM »
There are FOUR official languages, the least spoken one is called Romansch. The main conflict was about religion, Catholics vs Calvinists. But these four groups have shared the same country since the 1500's and before. Gun nut mass shootings are very rare in Switzerland.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
  All the better to show that community is better prevention for violence than is making people harmless by force.