Author Topic: Solar Power - the future of energy (Hey Brassmask, check it out!)  (Read 1197 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Some days, seems like the world is becoming a dark, and insane place. And then there is this, and I think what wonderful possiblities are ahead for us. Here are some interesting (to me) excerpts from the Telegraph article on the future of solar power:
      Within five years, solar power will be cheap enough to compete with carbon-generated electricity, even in Britain, Scandinavia or upper Siberia. In a decade, the cost may have fallen so dramatically that solar cells could undercut oil, gas, coal and nuclear power by up to half. Technology is leaping ahead of a stale political debate about fossil fuels.      
[...]
      The "tipping point" will arrive when the capital cost of solar power falls below $1 (51p) per watt, roughly the cost of carbon power. We are not there yet. The best options today vary from $3 to $4 per watt - down from $100 in the late 1970s.

Mr Sethi believes his product will cut the cost to 80 cents per watt within five years, and 50 cents in a decade.

[...]
      "We don't need subsidies, we just need governments to get out of the way and do no harm. They've spent $170bn subsidising nuclear power over the last thirty years," he said.      
[...]
      Villages across Asia and Africa that have never seen electricity may soon leapfrog directly into the solar age, replicating the jump to mobile phones seen in countries that never had a network of fixed lines. As a by-product, India's rural poor will stop blanketing the subcontinent with soot from tens of millions of open stoves.      
Whole article at the other end of this link.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Solar Power - the future of energy (Hey Brassmask, check it out!)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:37:14 PM »
When do the Chinese, who can make everything for pennies, start making solar cells?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Solar Power - the future of energy (Hey Brassmask, check it out!)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:36:24 PM »
I hope this is true
I`ve seen many claims like this ,but none pan out
remember cold fusion?
it`s kinda funny
we`ve made many technological leaps ,but power we`ve always sort of trickled
sometimes go backwards
people are starting to shun power usage ,for practical reasons
in many places the ultilities equal mortgage payments.