Author Topic: Campus Lunacy  (Read 12719 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Campus Lunacy
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2016, 11:16:35 PM »
Who said they had such a right? Not me.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 03:29:24 AM »
And who claimed that I claimed some right to decide for them?  Not me     ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:38 AM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:22 AM »
To me this looks like a term " becoming ones own enemy "

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Who's becoming whose enemy?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
To me this looks like a term " becoming ones own enemy "

How so?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »
Speaking of more campus lunacy, has anyone noticed the PC tidal wave of trying to rename Insitutions, buildings, and even streets adjacent to campuses, where the name in question was apparently acting politically incorrect, decades, if not centuries ago?  Notice also other names that would also be considered to have been politically incorrect, but because they perfoemed some acts that would be liberal leaning, they get a pass.

Example:  Brown University changed its Columbus Day celebration to Indigenous People's Day & Stanford students have demanded the renaming of buildings, malls and streets bearing the name of the recently canonized Junipero Serra, an 18th-century Franciscan priest who was often unkind to American Indians.  And yet, San Diego State University students are not demanding that the school eliminate its nickname, "Aztecs," even though the Aztecs enslaved and slaughtered tens of thousands of people from tribes they conquered.  Nor is there any demand by UC Berkeley students and faculty in the renaming of Warren Hall, named after California Attorney General Earl Warren, who instigated the wartime internment of tens of thousands of innocent Japanese-American citizens

President Woodrow Wilson was a racist who, among other racist acts, segregated civil service jobs. Should Princeton University rename its Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs plus rename its Woodrow Wilson fellowship program?

Our military has a number of deadly aircraft named with what the nation's leftist might consider racial slights, such as the Comanche, Apache, Iroquois, Kiowa, Lakota and the more peaceful Mescalero. Should they be renamed? Our military might also be seen as disrespecting the rights and dignity of animals. Should military death-dealing aircraft named after peace-loving animals -- such as the Eagle, Falcon, and Dolphin be renamed?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »
I`m saying these seeming liberal students are acting so extreme they are doing very unliberal thing like banning courses and book which would normally supported by liberals. I can`t find the article but  some liberal teachers has stated they can`t teacher thier normal topic out of fear they may offend thier students.

becoming ones own enemy

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
ok, I can see where you're going with that now.  Yes, indeed, making things so politically correct, even simple history can be taken as offensive

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »
The more I think about it I begin to wonder when these school start to bow to the whims of the students wouldn't the quality of the other get effected? Math and english is the most basic and highly undesirable. It's not unreasonable to think students will try to minimize these courses

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 04:35:02 PM »
If a student cannot calculate or do math, then he cannot be an engineer and probably cannot function in a modern society in which money is important.
If a student cannot read and understand what he has read, and cannot explain what he means, he is simply incompetent for anything more sophisticated than a plow.

Reading, writing and math are essential, even if they are not amusing to some.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »
As somebody who has some ability to do math it confused me for decades that people actually needed a calculator to figure something like 20% of 2000 and was amazed i can do this  in my head.

It took me a long while to finally accept some folks just cant do this this and it's about intelligence. I obviously have not ability in grammer but i still try.

But I'm not turned off by my short coming i still try

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »
It seems as though your mind is trained to organize your thoughts in the patterns of Chinese grammar. English grammar is different. This is a common problem with bilingual learning.

Practice is the key.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
Actually your right because several chinese lawyers  has pointed that out to me. Chinese is my birth language .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2016, 04:56:40 PM »
I have heard that one reason Chinese tend to excel at math is because the number system is simpler.
11 is the equivalent of  "ten-one", rather than an unrelated separate word, like  "eleven".