Author Topic: I want to talk about atheism  (Read 11429 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I want to talk about atheism
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »
Lately i have been talking about religion to a very old friend who is very largely anti-religious. The mere mention of it upsets him. I notice this way of thinking is happening alot. I'm a radical baptist as such I'm the very last person who can defend my faith. But these folks are quite irrational in thier anti-religion rant.
I want to know is this trend noticeable to you. I not really concern since thier arguements are just so extreme that atheism has been called a religion now.,they have become thier enemy

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I want to talk about atheism
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »
Atheism, requires faith.

Agnosticism requires apathy.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:48:26 PM »
I think this particular bunch is neither

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »
  You don't think he has more faith than proof that he is right?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 12:02:48 AM »
I'm an atheist. I am not anti-religion. I figure if it makes you feel better to believe in some sort of god, whether it's a hairy thunderer or a cosmic muffin or something in between, have at it. I only ask that you not show up at my door trying to sell it to me.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 01:52:14 AM »
But did you get upset that people prayed for the wellbeing of the survivors of the paris attack. Said praying means you support the attack because that is the nature of prayer.

This is the degree of anti religion i deal with. I'm not really sure this is atheism. Note I'm not talking about one person.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:19:58 AM »
Prayer doesn't bother me, per se. I don't mind if you want to pray for (whatever) at home, in church, out in public, anywhere you want, on your own. But I do take issue with teachers leading prayers in public schools, in classrooms, or at school sporting events. If the students want to say a prayer on their own, more power to them. But to have some adult authority figure call for group prayer, no, and here's why.

I grew up and went to public school in the South, in the Bible belt. Every morning in class, over the intercom, came the obligatory reading of the Bible passage of the day, and a prayer. Now, often as not, the passage read was from the New Testament, and it seemed Jesus and the 'Holy Trinity' were always mentioned in the prayer. I was aware, even then, that we had Jewish kids in school, and their religion recognized none of those. As well, from the 4th to 6th grades I was in class with a girl whose family was atheist. She was forced to sit through all this and listen to it, even though it went completely against her family's beliefs, or lack thereof. She was picked on and harassed by the other kids for quietly doing her schoolwork during the Bible reading and prayer, and for not standing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. NO child in public school should have to be subjected to that kind of pressure and harassment from their classmates over religion.

Notice I said child. If someone wants to open a town council meeting or some such with a prayer, I don't care so much, because the attendees most likely are adult enough that if they don't believe that way, they can ignore it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »
Would you get upset with religious dietary kaws saying it's the role of government to deal with peoples bealth and religion has no role in telling telling people to not eat harmful foods. Example hindi do not eat beef. Muslims halil food restrictions. Jewish kosher laws. These rules actually has been beneficial but my friends are upset it'sreligion has a role in it.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
Would I be upset if the government decided I had to follow some religious dietary law? Hell yes. Government has no business enforcing any religious law.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »
  I take prayer seriously and would encourage anyone to try it.

But forcing or coercing or cajoling someone to pray just results in a meaningless prayer at the cost of freewill.

I don't imagine God wanting anything like forced prayer.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 10:24:54 PM »
Would I be upset if the government decided I had to follow some religious dietary law? Hell yes. Government has no business enforcing any religious law.

Besides, I like bacon. Well, pretty much any kind of pork. The gummint can have it when they pry it from my cold, dead, greasy hands.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 04:06:43 PM »
Prayer is a demonstrable waste if time in the sense that some higher power that gives a damn is listening and is capable of actually doing something. Stating what one wishes for in coherent terms can often be beneficial. What exactly do you want, and why, in the sense that one thinks he should explain why he thinks he should have a wish granted can often lead to helpful insight. Admitting that one is not personally all powerful by acknowledging that there is a more powerful Being is also helpful.

The Lord's Prayer is minimally helpful, The 23rd Psalm is drivel. Thinking of oneself as a sheep in a flock is NOT helpful. I mean SHEEP? Please!

The Christian religion ( and Islam as well) are largely faith-based  self- contradictory nonsense, If a loving God did exist, he would NOT  have written such messes as the Bible and the Koran. This does not prove that there is no God, just not one that would behave in such silly and often violent and illogical ways.

It require faith to not believe in Christianity and Islam (and we could throw in some others as well). It requires logic and an ability to think logically.

Nor does being an agnostic require apathy.  Saying one does not know is not the same as saying that one does not care or care to know.

One can arrive at the conclusion that the Christian/Muslim/Jewish God does not not exist by simply reading the various holy books which are far to poorly7 written and contradictory to be the work of a Perfect Being or inspired by ant such being. Of course, one does need faith to believe that God must be perfect, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent,

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 01:28:39 AM »
   It requires a lot of confidence for one  to state that all the actions and words of an omnipotent and supremely intelligent being would be totally comprehensible to the confident stator.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 09:51:48 AM »
 It requires a lot of confidence for one  to state that all the actions and words of an omnipotent and supremely intelligent being would be totally comprehensible to the confident stator.

============================================================
Omnipotence is a clear term and is not hard at all for anyone to comprehend.
If the Biblical God had been omniscient, then he would have done something to have prevented the necessity of the Great Flood and the wiping out of most life on the planet. That does not require any great amount of logic.

The idea that Adam & Eve eating one piece of forbidden fruit is clearly NOT proper justification for damning the entire human race forever. NOT the act of any loving deity at all. 

There is no need for malaria or the mosquitoes that transmit it on this planet.
No loving God would create evil shit like malaria and Guinea worms.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »
There is no need for malaria or the mosquitoes that transmit it on this planet.
No loving God would create evil shit like malaria and Guinea worms.

A God with justice would curse nothing?

And the bible is exactly literal? No allegory? No metaphor?

Potters do not slam and pound clay , whirl and fire it , because they hate clay.