Author Topic: The Party of Hate!  (Read 10527 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Party of Hate!
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
But the alternative medicine folks has been quite aggressive in trying to get me off my meds.
These folks are not very responsible. I swear every vitamin store clerk thinks they have comparable medical knowledge to tell people to stop taking medication.

I can agree with that.
You cannot cure every condition with vitamins and minerals.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2016, 05:44:03 PM »
i have a fatal stress relate condition and so far only my primary has suggested lifestyle change to cut my stess. all these others suggest some pill or some bad tasting plant to eat.  which to me says have a crappy sad life as long as you eat ginger and kale.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2016, 08:09:37 PM »
Kale is not bad tasting. It has no taste at all. It is not bad if you substitute it for cabbage in a colcannon recipe. You can mix it with spinach in a spinach cheese and rice casserole, add some mozzarella and maybe some sesame oil.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2016, 11:18:03 PM »
   Kale has a lot in common with cabbage , and it is easy to garden.

If you plant Kale before midsummer you can keep harvesting it until the winter is almost over.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2016, 03:16:38 AM »
Kale reacts badly to my meds and its on some internet list to avoid if your on some cholesteral med. people have a very hard time thinking certain high reputation food can can have bad reactions.

Ive told to give up my meds so I can eat kale. I got serious doubts about the wisdom of that advice. Also I had kale and it just eating waxy leaves to me. I Like cabbage alot more and I eat that often

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2016, 06:41:50 AM »
Kale is not that great as a food, in my opinion. Cabbage, cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts and such are all better tasting.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2016, 08:33:30 AM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2016, 12:11:56 PM »
I think giving up your medications that work in order to replace it with kale would be a really bad idea.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
  Kale has a lot of vitamin K.

So it is an antidote to Warfarin, Cumoden  .

If you are fighting thrombosis, Kale is especially bad, it makes a huge dose of Warfarin necessary for the anticlotting action to happen.

On the other hand , if your blood is not clotting enough , you might want more vitamin K. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
What is it with the way they named Vitamins?
There is only one A, I guess a dozen B's from B-1 to B -1. One C, I think three D's and an E.

I have not heard of Vitamins G, H, I, or J ,but, as you say, there is a K.

They use the Greek alphabet for waves and rays, and names for things of which there are seven: Dwarves, Deadly Sins, United Arab Republics and days of the week.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2016, 09:43:46 PM »
   That is a good story actually, in the main the vitamins were named in the order in which they were discovered, each one has a chemical name for greater precision (Thiamine for example ) but I can only recall a few of these.

Let me see if a web search will find a better source than my memory.

The discovery of the vitamins.

Here we go, this looks like a good one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23798048
Abstract

The discovery of the vitamins was a major scientific achievement in our understanding of health and disease. In 1912, Casimir Funk originally coined the term "vitamine". The major period of discovery began in the early nineteenth century and ended at the mid-twentieth century. The puzzle of each vitamin was solved through the work and contributions of epidemiologists, physicians, physiologists, and chemists. Rather than a mythical story of crowning scientific breakthroughs, the reality was a slow, stepwise progress that included setbacks, contradictions, refutations, and some chicanery. Research on the vitamins that are related to major deficiency syndromes began when the germ theory of disease was dominant and dogma held that only four nutritional factors were essential: proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and minerals. Clinicians soon recognized scurvy, beriberi, rickets, pellagra, and xerophthalmia as specific vitamin deficiencies, rather than diseases due to infections or toxins. Experimental physiology with animal models played a fundamental role in nutrition research and greatly shortened the period of human suffering from vitamin deficiencies. Ultimately it was the chemists who isolated the various vitamins, deduced their chemical structure, and developed methods for synthesis of vitamins. Our understanding of the vitamins continues to evolve from the initial period of discovery

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2016, 10:10:21 PM »
Yes huge dosage of vitamin k is bad for me but smaller amounts seems ok so far.
Ginger gives me chest pains .

It almost seems anything popular for people health is bad for me.

Good thing spam is safe for me to eat so far

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Organic chemistry is made difficult by  extremely long names of compounds.

Pharma companies are not always helpful with the names they make up for their products. They are very fond of the letter X, which variously has the sound of gs as in exam, ch in Greek, and z in other languages.  It suggests both sex and experimentation.