Author Topic: The coffee rebellion; or, the importance of that first cup in the morning  (Read 2282 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Last year, due to a severe injury and infection, I spent some time in the hospital and, later on, in a rehab facility. It helps to know two things - after years of working odd hours, I'm pretty much an incurable insomniac, and I drink coffee. Lots of coffee, at all hours.

In the hospital, this was only a minor issue. I'd wake up, hit the call button, and a few minutes later, viola, I'd have a cup of coffee. After the first few days, I found out the visitors' lounge was just down the hall, and there was always coffee there, so it wasn't unusual for the nurses to see me up at 4 am, pushing my IV pole to the lounge, then going back to my room with a cuppa.

Rehab was a different story. Every time I asked for a cup of coffee early in the morning, I got an excuse. Usually it was, well, the kitchen isn't open yet, they don't have coffee until 7, you'll have to wait until they bring your breakfast. Even then, half the time the sonsabitches would 'forget' to bring me coffee with breakfast. They would bring me frigging grits, which I have no earthly use for, not even for landscaping, but they would forget the coffee.

Finally, caffeine withdrawal got to me, and I'd had enough. I woke up one morning around 430 and called the nurses' station to again ask for coffee, only to be told the kitchen wasn't open yet, blah blah blah. I got up and managed to get dressed, then got my rollator (like a walker with wheels), and set off down the hall.

As I passed the nurses' station, one of the nurses asked just where I thought I was going, and I told her I was going to find a cup of coffee if I had to break out of the facility and go to the convenience store down the street. She warned I couldn't do that, because the doors weren't unlocked until 8 am, and I told her to watch me, by God I was going to find a cup of coffee.

I tooled around the corner and down the long front hall. Halfway down were the doors to the kitchen and dining room. These were locked, and you needed an employee pass card to get into the kitchen. I rattled the door but no one answered. By now it was well after 5 am and I was sure they were in there, making up those damned inedible grits, but no one would answer the door. I pushed on.

At the end of the front hall, I turned a corner, and came upon three of the older residents, sitting in their wheelchairs, lined up against the wall. I'm not sure what they were there for, but there was a nurse with a med cart nearby. I knew one of the older folks, a gentleman everyone called Bubba, and I said good morning to him and the others as I went by. The nurse heard me and, seeing I was from the other wing, asked what I was doing wandering around so early in the morning. I told her I was on a quest for a cup of coffee, and if there was anyplace in the facility I could get one, I was determined to find it.

She called an aid over and asked her to open the little snack room, where they kept the evening snacks, cold sandwiches, etc they passed out in the evening, and get me a cup of coffee. When she opened the door, I saw they had one of these 50 or 60 cup commercial coffee makers, already made up and ready to go.

The three older folks, Bubba and another old guy and an older lady, all perked up at the mention of coffee, and they were watching as the aid handed me my cup of coffee. That's when I got wound up.

"Folks, you have a God-given right to a cup of coffee when you get up in the morning, it's right there in the Constitution, the umpty-umpth amendment, the right to a cup of coffee shall not be abridged." Their eyes lit up and they were like, yeah, bring it on, so I did. "It was the great American patriot Patrick Henry who said, 'Give me coffee or give me death!'" Now they're starting to get wound up, and so am I. "And it was that great patriot Nathan Hale who said, 'I only regret that I was only allowed one cup of coffee before you hang me.'" The nurse and aid are looking at me like I'm nuts, but the old folks are getting into it. "And finally, Admiral Farragut, fighting the British tea-drinkers, said, 'Damn the torpedoes, give us our damn coffee!'"

Now the older folks are laughing and giggling, chanting 'Coffee! Coffee!', except for Bubba, who had a stroke and couldn't say 'Coffee' and instead was chanting 'Taco! Taco!', which was as close as he could get. Even the nurse was laughing, and the aid was even smiling a bit, as she went back into the snack room to get three more cups....

The rest of the time I was there, I had no trouble getting a cup of coffee in the morning. I never did convince them to quit bringing me those damned grits, though.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
My brother worked in ABM security and once he told me the lady in charge of budget thought a great way to save money is cut coffee. Since she's nit a coffee drinker she didn't see the harm in it. Let's just say that in less than 2weeks the coffee cameback. The staff started raiding other floors for coffee and performance nosedive in a matter of days. She learn never to mess with the coffee

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Ha Ha...Kimba...I can relate
When I inherited the job of ordering the throw away coffee cups at our company
I was SHOCKED at the amount of cups we are going through
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
One of the coolest perks I had, was working at a 7/11, and having to open fresh bags of coffee every Sunday morning.  Mind you, I don't drink coffee, but that smell when you 1st open a bag, is intoxicating
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I am a more recent convert to coffee
some at the office claim I just like "a little coffee with my creamer"
which is more or less true
my coffee is more like a malt...lol

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Coffee was said to be bad for you,
Now they are saying it is good for you.

I always start my day with it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I had my first cup of coffee at about 7 years old.

My mother took us to visit her aunt Ruby (my great aunt), who, naturally, as soon as we arrived offered my mother a cup of coffee while we sat at the kitchen table. My mother took it, dumped in several spoonfuls of sugar and a hefty portion of cream, and stirred it. Ruby watched in amazement, then allowed as how she couldn't figure out how anyone could drink their coffee all duded up like that.

Then she asked me if I would like a cup. My mother jumped in and protested that I was only 7 years old and I didn't drink coffee, to which Ruby replied I was a guest in her house and if I wanted a cup of coffee, I could have one. She poured it, then asked if I would like cream and sugar; I allowed as how I couldn't see how anyone could drink their coffee all duded up like that...

I've drunk it black ever since, except for an occasional iced coffee.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
So, what brand do you like, Hnumpah?

I like La Llave expresso.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I'm not fussy, as long as it's black and strong. Even instant works for me.

I have a cousin who is a coffee snob. He gets these special beans, roasted just so, grinds them himself, uses something called a French press. I tried it. It's coffee. He was disappointed I told him I couldn't tell the difference between that and Folger's crystals.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Thier is two types of coffee drinker. Coffee drinker and caffeine drinkers .

I'm a caffeine drinker

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Thier is two types of coffee drinker. Coffee drinker and caffeine drinkers. I'm a caffeine drinker

Kimba...so you'd just as soon be drinking Mountain Dew (caffeine) as coffee?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
My first tour overseas was 13 months at a base on the Black Sea coast in Turkey. I was an electronics tech in the communications center, maintaining the crypto gear for encyphering/deciphering our message traffic. We usually had one crypto tech and several teletype operators per shift, with a teletype tech on call. During the day the OIC, NCOIC, crypto clerk and a couple others were also there. At the end of shift, we would always make a fresh pot of coffee for the incoming shift. We had about a 30 cup coffeemaker in the NCOIC's office; we would take it to the latrine, empty it in a large utility sink, dump the ground in the trash, rinse the pot and works, then fill it with fresh water, and bring it back to make a fresh pot. This was always the job of the junior person on shift.

Since the pot and works never actually got washed, merely rinsed, the residue buildup after years of use left a noticeable oil slick on top of every cup of hot coffee. I would hazard a guess this is the case in Army coffee pots around the world. We ignored it; we were used to it.

Until we got a NUG (nugget, new guy) who took over coffee duty one night as the junior operator. He took the pot to the latrine to rinse it out, and he was gone so long we wondered if he had fallen asleep. Finally he brought it back, measured the coffee into the basket as instructed, and turned it on.

It was horrible. We all tried it and it was just nasty, it didn't taste right. We asked him what he did, and he said he just washed the pot....

Washed? Yeah, he scrubbed it with steel wool to get all the old residue out. Scoured it clean. Oh yeah, he made sure he rinsed it good afterwards, it wasn't a soapy taste or anything, it was just missing the taste of the residue we had all gotten so used to.

It was days before it tasted right again.....

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I use a metal French press made by some German company. I got it in a garage sale, almost new. It was a gift from one rich Coral Gables Cuban to another, The recipient was told by his DR to give up coffee.

I wash it out and add four heaping Tsps to about 18 oz of water I heat in my microwave. I drink half one morning with Steevia and Publix Cremora and reheat the other half the next day.

It tastes a bit different the next day, but not bad.

In the Dominican Republic here is how to make coffee. Mix 3 Tbsp of turbinado (ie light brown local sugar)   to 12 oz of water in one of those hexagonal Italian aluminum Expresso pots, Fill the coffee basket and perk it. It tastes very different with the sugar heated in it. But not bad.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I like the taste of coffee better.  But I used to make my own energy shots and annoy all my coworkers.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  That is a good story , and I drink a lot of coffee so I can understand  the crave .

I hope that if I am ever trapped away from the coffee that I will have the same courage and fortitude to demand my caffeine rights.