Author Topic: Iraq Discussion.....for the rationally minded  (Read 16185 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Iraq Discussion.....for the rationally minded
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 02:42:57 AM »
<<how everyone practically on God's green earth was mistaken about Saddam's WMD, but Bush alone knew there were none, and took us to war anyways.  That would be an entertaining start. >>

Uh, as I said, if you just read my last post (umm, you CAN read, can't you, sirs?) it is extremely unlikely that ANYONE including Bush was "mistaken" about Saddam's non-existent WMD.  One day, sirs, I will explain to you the concept of a "pretext," and then the word "phony" and then, finally, the concept of a "phony pretext" and you will begin to understand why most folks today think your moron President is a liar.   Till then, sirs, maybe you could just content yourself with reading very carefully what people write so that you won't (inadvertently, I am sure) continue to misquote them.

<<One more time, it's referencing any and all who have adopted the illogical & irrational concepts that either Bush lied us into war, that Bush stole the election . . . >>

Well, since it's clear beyond doubt that Bush did lie you into war AND stole the election, it's starting to look more and more that YOU are the irrational party to this discussion.

<< . . .  that neo-cons were behind 911>>

not proven, and I certainly have not "adopted" that conclusion although I certainly do keep an open mind on it.

<<. . . . that Jews run everything>>

PLEEEEZE, sirs, only SOME of us run everything.  (Note to self:  better explain to this moron this is a joke otherwise he'll have an apoplexy seizure)

<< . . .  that the media is a tool of the right wing>>

There are excellent studies proving exactly that.  You could start with the New York Times coverage of the events leading up to the invasion of Iraq, for example.

<< oh yea, or that our military is one big mass of murdering rapists.>>

They're thugs and their record for torture and abuse of prisoners is the worst that it's ever been.  There is no previous conflict in recent history that even comes close.   And for the record, the blame starts at the top.  The troops reflect the quality of their leadership.  If the leaders don't give a damn, the troops will do what they can get away with.   However "one big mass of murdering rapists" might be giving them more credit than they deserve.  They're soldiers.  Period.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 03:02:05 AM »
And maybe someday you'll even be able to rationally explain how Bush knew there were no WMD, while nearly everyone else, including messers Clinton, Gore, Pelosi, Edwards, the UN, France, Russia, Germany, etc., etc., etc, were all just mistaken about them.  That'll be a neat trick.  The rest of your rant, is pretty much the reason I wanted this thread to be responded to by the sane
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lyndon

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 07:40:04 AM »

Question: Rightly or wrongly having entered Iraq, has the invasion made things worse, as it relates to increasing terrorist recruits & their potential attacks upon the U.S.?

has our entering Iraq & taking out Saddam, been a big mistake on the overall war on Terror?

Yes, in my view. If one can believe anything the intelligence community says then, according to a National Intelligence Estimate released last year, they think so too. “The Iraq conflict has become a cause celebre for jihadists, breeding a deep resentment of US involvement in the Muslim world and cultivating supporters for the global jihadist movement.” “the  Iraq jihad is shaping a new generation of terrorist leaders and operatives”. 

http://www.dni.gov/press_releases/Declassified_NIE_Key_Judgments.pdf

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:07 AM »
Question: Rightly or wrongly having entered Iraq, has the invasion made things worse, as it relates to increasing terrorist recruits & their potential attacks upon the U.S.?

It has increased the number who will sympathize with militant Islam, yes.

I realize Radical Islam was going to gain in terrorist membership, but did our taking out Saddam and the WMD threat speed things up or slow it down? But from a common sense stand point (again referring to the rationally minded) has our entering Iraq & taking out Saddam, been a big mistake on the overall war on Terror?

Well, that would imply that I believe the "War on Terror" is not a mistake unto itself. It is. It is a ridiculous way to approach a situation that is not a war at all. Iraq is not a "front" of the "War on Terror" it is a nation in a power vacuum because we removed its government infrastructure (rightly or wrongly, it is irrelevant at this point). The current situation in Iraq was predicted far in advance of the current date.

The "War on Terror" is acceptable as far as increasing security on airplane flights and increasing efficiency of intelligence information gathering, sharing, and cooperation between agencies (which is not what Homeland Security has really done). Other than that it is an exaggerated and rather useless approach to a problem that is not all that significant.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 10:38:22 AM »
 <<Other than that it [ the war on terror] is an exaggerated and rather useless approach to a problem that is not all that significant.>>

I disagree with the "rather useless" comment.  It's a brilliant public relations ploy to justify a neocon plan for ruthless self-aggrandizement that has already put the U.S.A. in  a position (once it has crushed, if it can, the local Resistance forces) to control the second largest proven oil reserves in the world and has them on track to grab even more in Iran.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 11:29:50 AM »
If one can believe anything the intelligence community says then, according to a National Intelligence Estimate released last year, they think so too. “The Iraq conflict has become a cause celebre for jihadists, breeding a deep resentment of US involvement in the Muslim world and cultivating supporters for the global jihadist movement.” “the  Iraq jihad is shaping a new generation of terrorist leaders and operatives”. 

That's a good point Lyndon.  Ironically, it was the NIE, who in even more a concensus, concluded the presence of stockpiles of WMD.  So the conclusion 1 could draw from that is the possibility that they're a tad off on ther conclusions, this time around as well.   "Possibly" being the operable word, not "are", and "could" vs "should"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 11:42:21 AM »
It has increased the number who will sympathize with militant Islam, yes.

OK, that's 1 opinion.  Fair enough

I realize Radical Islam was going to gain in terrorist membership, but did our taking out Saddam and the WMD threat speed things up or slow it down? But from a common sense stand point has our entering Iraq & taking out Saddam, been a big mistake on the overall war on Terror?

Well, that would imply that I believe the "War on Terror" is not a mistake unto itself. It is. It is a ridiculous way to approach a situation that is not a war at all.

Ok, here's where we kind of step into it a bit....not a war at all??  Oh yea, I forgot, you tend to minimize the threat of militant Islam, so then it really doesn't require a war to deal with it.  In that vane, you are being consistent.  Our biggest point of contention then is probably how we see the threat.  I see it as a repeating of history, a growing new fascist movement, with a religious twist.  You on the other hand see militant Islam as.......... well, I'll let you explain it, and the threat it doesn't pose

Iraq is not a "front" of the "War on Terror" it is a nation in a power vacuum because we removed its government infrastructure (rightly or wrongly, it is irrelevant at this point).

Perhaps not "the" front, but obviously "a" front.  And the vacuum caused by our taking out a potential WMD transfer to folks like Alqeada would likely have been filled with a new military shiite faction, perhaps being run right out of Tehran.  IMHO, it would have been reprehensively immoral as well as militarily illogical to have left the vacuum as is, following the accomplished mission of taking out Saddam

The "War on Terror" is acceptable as far as increasing security on airplane flights and increasing efficiency of intelligence information gathering, sharing, and cooperation between agencies (which is not what Homeland Security has really done). Other than that it is an exaggerated and rather useless approach to a problem that is not all that significant.

Anything but actual military intervention, right?      :-\

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2007, 12:28:41 PM »
<<Ok, here's where we kind of step into it a bit....not a war at all??  Oh yea, I forgot, you tend to minimize the threat of militant Islam, so then it really doesn't require a war to deal with it.>>

"Militant Islam," lest anyone forget, is an ideology.  Of course, so was Naziism.  The difference between the two is that the Nazis had a state, and that state had a land mass and a very formidable military organization.

Militant Islam, as an ideology minus a state, a land mass and an armed force, can not be combatted by military force.  There is no military force in history that can defeat an idea.  Military force kills some people and forces others into obedience to the force when it it is confronting them.   What it can't do is change the minds of people who believe in the ideology, unless (as in Naziism) the ideology itself was predicated on military superiority and racial supremacy.  Since militant Islam believes only in the power of God, it is unlikely that any series of military defeats will convince any of them to change their belief system.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:33 PM »
 What it can't do is change the minds of people who believe in the ideology, unless (as in Naziism) the ideology itself was predicated on military superiority and racial supremacy.  Since militant Islam believes only in the power of God, it is unlikely that any series of military defeats will convince any of them to change their belief system.

The Natzis had a lot of confiene in their eventual victory  their mistakes caused a lot of them to die.

The Islamic extremeists have brought a lot of death to themselves and they are not even close to finished.

The had a large and growing army , a country in accessable to their enemys, large economic resorces.

This has been reduced to an appealing idea and no more.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 02:53:36 PM »
Ok, here's where we kind of step into it a bit....not a war at all??  Oh yea, I forgot, you tend to minimize the threat of militant Islam, so then it really doesn't require a war to deal with it.  In that vane, you are being consistent.  Our biggest point of contention then is probably how we see the threat.  I see it as a repeating of history, a growing new fascist movement, with a religious twist.  You on the other hand see militant Islam as.......... well, I'll let you explain it, and the threat it doesn't pose

Militant Islam is what it is. Really, militant terrorism of any radical ideology is a representation of marginalization, injustice, oppression, and the loss of dignity (or at least the perception of such). Think of riots throughout history and that will generally be an underlying cause (with perhaps some notable exceptions for bread riots).

Nothing can justify terrorism. So don't get me wrong. Yet, military actions, bombing, "collateral damage," those types of actions only lead to more people coming to understand the message of the fringe ideologies. If your house has been reduced to rubble, your family killed, and your holy shrine run over by a tank, then you are going to look at these people who are talking about injustice and loss of dignity with a whole new sense of respect. "Damn, I thought these guys were nutters, but now they make a lot of sense."

So if you are asking me what I think, then no, I don't think war is an appropriate response at all. I think we, both as a nation and a member of the international community, need to begin looking at what makes people turn violent, angry, and seek such horrible revenge even at the cost of their own lives.

We need to address the underlying problems that have led so many to hatred and desperation. We cannot answer the violence of terrorism with the violence of war. We have to demonstrate a different path, a better path.

Perhaps not "the" front, but obviously "a" front.  And the vacuum caused by our taking out a potential WMD transfer to folks like Alqeada would likely have been filled with a new military shiite faction, perhaps being run right out of Tehran.  IMHO, it would have been reprehensively immoral as well as militarily illogical to have left the vacuum as is, following the accomplished mission of taking out Saddam

I can't disagree with your last sentence, as reprehensible as it is to have been led into an unjust war and then stuck in to clean up the mess. It has little if anything to do with terrorism though. Iraq is a war about Iraq and the people there. It is a nation of arbitrary borders and little sense of identity.

Anything but actual military intervention, right?

As I said above, in this case military force may be counter-productive. 
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »
<<The Natzis had a lot of confiene in their eventual victory  their mistakes caused a lot of them to die.>>

As always, you focus on the peripheral issues and ignore the main thrust of the argument.  Whether or not the Nazis made mistakes causing a lot of them to die is immaterial.  Against Russia, the U.S., Great Britain and France, they had no chance to win.  At the end of the day, what caused them to lose faith in Naziism was that a theory of a Master Race destined to rule the earth was inconsistent with the actual facts of ruined cities, decimated armies and the inability to hold their ground against enemy attacks.  There was no Master Race, or if there were, it wasn't them.

<<The Islamic extremeists have brought a lot of death to themselves and they are not even close to finished.>>

It would obviously be more accurate to say that their enemies have brought a lot of death to them.  Which will not lessen their beliefs, since they welcome martyrdom.  The fact that their enemies can kill them will not convince them that they are wrong because their beliefs do not involve being unkillable or invincible.

<<The had a large and growing army , a country in accessable to their enemys, large economic resorces.>>

You are delusional.  They never had a large and growing army, that is your paranoid fantasy.  They had no army, just a cadre of young men willing to die for their belief, which is still growing.  They had no country inaccessible to their enemies and in fact when their enemies did access it, they just faded away to fight elsewhere.  Large economic resources are and always will be accessible to them.  Arabs with money will give to the cause one way or another.  There is no evidence that I am aware of that these guys are short of funds.

<<This has been reduced to an appealing idea and no more.>>

Militant Islam is more appealing than ever.  The only armed force it needs are resourceful and determined young men unafraid to die for their cause because of an idea.  That idea is something that no army can ever stop.  Which is why it's foolish and delusional to fight a war on "terrorism" (which is nothing more than an idea and the fearlessness of its supporters) with an army.

domer

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »
I will amend my remarks from last night. To be justified a so-called preemptive strike must have a TRIPLE support: imminence (that is, soon to occur, otherwise events may intervene to change the intent and thus the threat); a high level of certainty; and a certain degree of severity (that is, launching a full-scale attack on a foreign enemy to prevent the murder of one spy would not be wise or congruous).

Turning to the Iraq War solely in terms of its efficacy for US policy, we cannot ignore as a first consideration the great amount of lives lost due to the initiative, most completely innocent lives. Then, hands down, it can be asserted without fear of rebuttal that the war has stoked terrorist recruiting and built average-Muslim sympathy for that cause. Further, the region has become destabilized and will restabilize with Iran preeminent in the region, which represents a direct threat to our interests but also the potential for further regional strife as the dominant Sunni states bristle at and perhaps react aggressively to the new Shiite hegemony in the region, which those Sunni states very well may take as a serious threat.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »
"...and a certain degree of severity (that is, launching a full-scale attack on a foreign enemy to prevent the murder of one spy would not be wise or congruous)."

Should we tell them what this limit is?

You can kill one spy and we will do nothing , if you kill sixty four we will start to get alarmed, if you kill 291 we will not retaliate much , but if you kill more than a thousand we will bomb the stuffing out of you.

Seems to me that after an announcement like that there would be a lot of killing right up to the limit.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2007, 04:06:10 PM »
I feel a little bad, in that A, I let this thread peter out, when it really was for the most part a rational discussion going on, and B, I did write up a nice response to this particular post by Js, but apparently it got eaten b the cybermonsters that periodically show their claws.  So, I'll take another stab with tackling both targets with this post

Our biggest point of contention then is probably how we see the threat.  I see it as a repeating of history, a growing new fascist movement, with a religious twist.  You on the other hand see militant Islam as.......... well, I'll let you explain it, and the threat it doesn't pose

Militant Islam is what it is. Really, militant terrorism of any radical ideology is a representation of marginalization, injustice, oppression, and the loss of dignity (or at least the perception of such). Think of riots throughout history and that will generally be an underlying cause (with perhaps some notable exceptions for bread riots).

OK, so far so good

Nothing can justify terrorism. So don't get me wrong.

We're 2 for 2

Yet, military actions, bombing, "collateral damage," those types of actions only lead to more people coming to understand the message of the fringe ideologies.

NOT, if as I have been saying all along, the Muslim leaders are able to effectively educate the difference between accidental death involved in collateral damage vs targeted death at the hands of those who have hijacked their religion.  Yea, yea, I know, death is death, and a father's not going to care how, just who.  The point remains if both can be explained, it's much more likely that an understanding of the message that there is a war, and it's their own radical elements fostering, festering, and facilitating it.

If your house has been reduced to rubble, your family killed, and your holy shrine run over by a tank, then you are going to look at these people who are talking about injustice and loss of dignity with a whole new sense of respect. "Damn, I thought these guys were nutters, but now they make a lot of sense."

As is the case that most of the deaths are mass murdering car bombs & suicide bombers in the most populated locations, such as market places, schools, mosques, etc., again it's more plausible that the "nutters" can be indentified as those that have mutated the message of Islam vs the accidental death caused via collateral damage, and that with their assistance, can help bring an end to their movement, and thus reduce, if not completely abolish the rubble causing tank

So if you are asking me what I think, then no, I don't think war is an appropriate response at all. I think we, both as a nation and a member of the international community, need to begin looking at what makes people turn violent, angry, and seek such horrible revenge even at the cost of their own lives.

With all due respect Js, they've already let us know why they (Radical Muslims/Islamofascists) are angry, and no, it's not because of supposed interferrence in their ways or support of Israel.  For some yes, that's the reason.  But for the core of militant Islam, with they're actions, rhetoric, and claims of Koran justification, it's because we're not Muslim.  And because we're the infidels, who dare not embrace Allah and the ways of the Koran, we are to be wiped out, if we can't be made to convert or be subjugated to it.  Does it mean it's doable, like Tee keeps trying to reference?  Highly doubtful.  What it does mean is a continued growing perceived win-win movement where they kill as many "infidels" as possible, and if they get killed in the process, lots of virgins await them.  Yea, it's an irrational mindset, but radical fundamentalists of any religion will latch on to those passages of killing non-believers, and believe they are doing God's work.  They're condemned when they do it in the name of the Christian God, and they are condemned when they do it in the name of Allah.  Difference being, there's a massive growing element of 1 that is not occuring in the other.

We need to address the underlying problems that have led so many to hatred and desperation. We cannot answer the violence of terrorism with the violence of war. We have to demonstrate a different path, a better path.

Alas my friend, you can not appease militant islamic terrorists.  You can not placate, rationalize, and try to "understand why they feel the way they feel".  We seem to be trying to discuss 2 different things.  I think you're trying to reference the "plight of poor Arabs/Palestinians", as if they alone are the foundation to militant Islam.  I'm actually referencing militant Islamics, who can be poor, middle class or upper class.  They're a mutation of a very peaceful religion, who's focus is on killing the infidels.  The "why" is because we dare to not embrace the Muslim way, and convert to it.  And the only way of dealing with them is surgical removal.  But you're right in 1 vane.  It will take more than "the violence of war".  It has to come from within.  It has to come from the Muslim community.  They have to rise up and condemn these factions, and take a much more active roll in taking them out.  Yet your recent references of how these country's and their leaders really can't do that, because of geo-political reasons, leaves us nothing BUT war in dealing with militant Islam.  Did you take that into consideration?  You are removing the most important non-violent option of dealing with militant Islam, yet condemn our use of violence, when it's all that's left

IMHO, it would have been reprehensively immoral as well as militarily illogical to have left the vacuum as is, following the accomplished mission of taking out Saddam

I can't disagree with your last sentence, as reprehensible as it is to have been led into an unjust war and then stuck in to clean up the mess. It has little if anything to do with terrorism though. Iraq is a war about Iraq and the people there. It is a nation of arbitrary borders and little sense of identity.

Your opinion of this being an unjust war is duely noted

Anything but actual military intervention, right?

As I said above, in this case military force may be counter-productive.  

In which case, I wholly and rationally disagree, but appreciate your comments none the less

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »
I will amend my remarks from last night. To be justified a so-called preemptive strike must have a TRIPLE support: imminence (that is, soon to occur, otherwise events may intervene to change the intent and thus the threat); a high level of certainty; and a certain degree of severity (that is, launching a full-scale attack on a foreign enemy to prevent the murder of one spy would not be wise or congruous).

Turning to the Iraq War solely in terms of its efficacy for US policy, we cannot ignore as a first consideration the great amount of lives lost due to the initiative, most completely innocent lives. Then, hands down, it can be asserted without fear of rebuttal that the war has stoked terrorist recruiting and built average-Muslim sympathy for that cause. Further, the region has become destabilized and will restabilize with Iran preeminent in the region, which represents a direct threat to our interests but also the potential for further regional strife as the dominant Sunni states bristle at and perhaps react aggressively to the new Shiite hegemony in the region, which those Sunni states very well may take as a serious threat.

I disagree that Immanence is important .

If there is certainty and seriousness in a pereived threat , what good is waiting for it?