Author Topic: In US, record numbers are plunged into poverty: report  (Read 2925 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In US, record numbers are plunged into poverty: report
« on: February 25, 2007, 04:17:45 AM »
WASHINGTON (AFP) - The gulf between rich and poor in the United States is yawning wider than ever, and the number of extremely impoverished is at a three-decade high, a report out Saturday found.

Based on the latest available US census data from 2005, the McClatchy Newspapers analysis found that almost 16 million Americans live in "deep or severe poverty" defined as a family of four with two children earning less than 9,903 dollars -- one half the federal poverty line figure.

For individuals the "deep poverty" threshold was an income under 5,080 dollars a year.

"The McClatchy analysis found that the number of severely poor Americans grew by 26 percent from 2000 to 2005," the US newspaper chain reported.

"That's 56 percent faster than the overall poverty population grew in the same period," it noted.

The surge in poverty comes alongside an unusual economic expansion.

"Worker productivity has increased dramatically since the brief recession of 2001, but wages and job growth have lagged behind. At the same time, the share of national income going to corporate profits has dwarfed the amount going to wages and salaries," the study found.

"That helps explain why the median household income for working-age families, adjusted for inflation, has fallen for five straight years.

"These and other factors have helped push 43 percent of the nation's 37 million poor people into deep poverty -- the highest rate since at least 1975. The share of poor Americans in deep poverty has climbed slowly but steadily over the last three decades," the report said.

It quoted an American Journal of Preventive Medicine study as having found that since 2000, the number of severely poor -- far below basic poverty terms -- in the United States has grown "more than any other segment of the population."

"That was the exact opposite of what we anticipated when we began," said Dr. Steven Woolf of Virginia Commonwealth University, a study co-author.

"We're not seeing as much moderate poverty as a proportion of the population. What we're seeing is a dramatic growth of severe poverty."

US social programs are minimal compared to those of western Europe and Canada. The United States has a population of 301 million, but more than 45 million US citizens have no health insurance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070225/ts_alt_afp/useconomypoverty_070225003515
=========================

But we can afford, what is it now, six or seven billion dollars a month to spend on GW's pet project in Iraq? Think of the real good that money could have done.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: In US, record numbers are plunged into poverty: report
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:23:39 AM »
How much do we spend anually on education? And how many of the newly poor took advantage of those opportunities.

Statistics are one thing. Lets take a look at a typical severe poverty familiy and try to figure out what went wrong.

My guess is that few of the critical decisions that led to this status were made by Bush.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »
<<"These and other factors have helped push 43 percent of the nation's 37 million poor people into deep poverty -- the highest rate since at least 1975. The share of poor Americans in deep poverty has climbed slowly but steadily over the last three decades," the report said.

<<It quoted an American Journal of Preventive Medicine study as having found that since 2000, the number of severely poor -- far below basic poverty terms -- in the United States has grown "more than any other segment of the population.">>

Hey  look at the bright side.  Maybe the U.S. military won't have to take in so many Salvadoreans and Messkins.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 01:55:33 PM »
<<My guess is that few of the critical decisions that led to this status were made by Bush.>>

Yeah but why do more and more deep poverty families making those bad critical decisions seem to be making them during the Bush administration?

I've got it!!  They all made their bad decisions during Clinton's administration, but it took until now for the unfortunate results to surface. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:18:37 PM »
Does it matter when they make them?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 02:20:50 PM »
I've got it!!  They all made their bad decisions during Clinton's administration, but it took until now for the unfortunate results to surface. 

Finally, some common sense from you!

;-)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:28:13 PM »
I am suspicious of this report.

Unemployment is still very low .

Mexicans are still coming at the rate tha keeps one eventh of Mexico's workforce in th US.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
<<Does it matter when they make them? >>

Of course not.  I was being ironic again, BT.  If their poverty really were the result of their own stupid decisions, you'd expect them to have made just as many stupid decisions under the Clinton administration as they did under the Bush administration, so you wouldn't see any trend towards worse poverty under Bush.

It's only when government policies are having an effect on the poverty rates that  you'd expect to see, as you do, more poverty under Bush than under Clinton.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:07:30 PM »
It's only when government policies are having an effect on the poverty rates that  you'd expect to see, as you do, more poverty under Bush than under Clinton.

WHat is the birthrate for the severe poverty strata vs the working poor. Does the increase in head count raise the percentage? 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 12:04:10 AM »
<<Does it matter when they make them? >>

Of course not.  I was being ironic again, BT.  If their poverty really were the result of their own stupid decisions, you'd expect them to have made just as many stupid decisions under the Clinton administration as they did under the Bush administration, so you wouldn't see any trend towards worse poverty under Bush.

Unless you don't.

Could this just be another fabrication?

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/histpov/hstpov13.html

2005......         7,657             9.9         4,044            28.7
 2004 14/..         7,835            10.2         3,962            28.3
 2003......         7,607            10.0         3,856            28.0
 2002......         7,229             9.6         3,613            26.5
 2001......         6,813             9.2         3,470            26.4
 2000 12/..         6,400             8.7         3,278            25.4
 1999 11/..         6,792             9.3         3,559            27.8
 1998......         7,186            10.0         3,831            29.9
 1997......         7,324            10.3         3,995            31.6
 1996......         7,708            11.0         4,167            32.6
 1995......         7,532            10.8         4,057            32.4
 1994......         8,053            11.6         4,232            34.6
 1993 10/..         8,393            12.3         4,424            35.6
 1992 9/...         8,144            11.9         4,275            35.4
 1991 8/...         7,712            11.5         4,161            35.6
 1990......         7,098            10.7         3,768            33.4

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
How much do we spend anually on education? And how many of the newly poor took advantage of those opportunities.

This is a sticky question
true alot of opportunities are avialable in the united states.
but the truth is alot of it is not accessible.
their are layer and layers red tapes attached too alot of it.
no child left behind programs enable many school to provide free tutors to children.
but it is to the schools best interest to only offer a faction of it for budgetary reasons that escape me.
I`ve seen many homeless programs turn people away due to lack of paperwork.
also there is virtualy no effert to educate people to have skills .
I asked several times here what profession has the greatest need for workers,so somebody can focus on that field to qualify.
the most common answer is( look it up)-which really means nobody knows but want to sound semi-clever.
only one person ever answered it.
if i get this kinda of flack for just asking a question,imagine how hard it is for these people to get out of poverty.
until somebody publicly say to to these folks how to do to get out of poverty this will not get solved anytime soon.
study hard is not the answer
I`m talking from experience .
it took years to get the knowledge I have from trail and error.
people should not have to go through what I`ve been through.
and I totally acknowledge I could easily be worst off now,if it wasn`t for dumb-luck.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »
So far I've seen two conservative answers to the purported increase in poverty:  BT suggests maybe it's all just due to natural increase, the poor breeding like rabbits and plane just attacks the stats themselves - - they're not right and they can't be right.

I'm gonna bow out of this one because I am not a statistician, but not without obvserving that any statistical survey worth its salt would take natural increase into account and I'd think less of the survey quoted if it did not.  Usually I would endorse statistical surveys from reputable scientific or academic sources but in this case (McClatchy Newspapers) of course I'd want to see the credentials of whatever experts they employed before endorsing the results.  It does seem unlikely, however, that a national chain like McClatchy would employ an unqualified bunch of schleppers to conduct its surveys for it.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 06:09:34 AM »
So far I've seen two conservative answers to the purported increase in poverty:  BT suggests maybe it's all just due to natural increase, the poor breeding like rabbits and plane just attacks the stats themselves - - they're not right and they can't be right.

Heeheehee...
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016