Author Topic: Safe space in school  (Read 5261 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Safe space in school
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:12:53 PM »
Any bets this will result in meds student demanding not to see icky dead bodies and study gross stuff.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Safe space in school
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:19:21 PM »
...if it offends them
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
i just read the claim is safe spaces will make the student into trailblazers to more able the change the world for the better instead of being compliant. Let me state a fact a large percentage of comedians are giving up going to campuses due to these hyper-sensitive students. if these kids do change the world it means humor will be gone.

jerry sienfeld gave up going to campuses . these kids grew up on his show and he can`t do his bit.

I`m actually inspired to make pc based jokes. ex. Oh I`m sorry I didn`t mean to say you look nice I understand thats offensive nowadays.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 03:24:29 PM »
i just read the claim is safe spaces will make the student into trailblazers to more able the change the world for the better instead of being compliant.

It will, and has been, doing precisely the opposite.  The idea that people, students in particular, should be shielded from opposing points of view, isn't being "compliant", it's being respectful and civil.  No one says you have to agree, and will absolutely have the opposite effect proponets claim.  Although I love the term that's being applied to these supposed stellar minds....that of "prescious little snowflakes"

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 04:08:45 PM »
Their also take offense to pc being a negative and say pc means being polite

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 04:25:35 PM »
The way of semantics.   PC is actually the opposite of being polite....it's being intolerant.   Polite would be in respectfully disagreeing,  not using rhetoric to attempt to inhibit, if not prevent, a differing thought or perspective.

It's consistent with how the pro-transgender crowd is attempting to redefine the Bill of Rights, when it refers to discrimination based on race or sex is unconstitutional.   Sex here is clearly in relation to biology. ..not how someone feels, at any given time

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:19:08 PM »
   The best I can see , respect for another person includes respect for their right to be different.

Not just in appearance but in thought and habit.

If PC does not do this , then it does not deserve to be called politeness.

Politeness is a formalized respect , and is how every relationship ought to be started.

The passage of time can loosen the bindings of politeness and allow a deeper understanding of respect to take over. A real friend can tell you that you stink.

PC has some of the form of politeness, but without the reciprocal respect. What does the passage of time lead PC to develop into?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 07:51:53 PM »
Political Correctness is the shutting down of opposing viewpoints in the guise of politeness.  Another way of putting it is in the absense of any conflict, then all that's left is supposed politeness.  Never mind that the "offensive" thought/POV has been shut down to not allow any potential conflict.  That's the land of Political Correctness

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:07:21 PM »
7 months ago i was listening to an interveiw who was a gay black conservative that got his speaking gig cancelled at a college because despite it was sold out the very thought of him coming(not yet there) was traumatizing to some of the students there and counselling was being provided. i think this the incident that may of started the notion of safe spaces.

a few years ago I kinda notice that my old world upbringing of looking at people`s eyes while talking to them intimidates young people. technology has made this new batch abit more timid. the idea cyber bullying a nonphysical attack is traumatizing kids is just so .. my caveman brain has trouble with this

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50:25 PM »
I found one of the supoosed positives for asian is no more people saying arent you good at math. I rarely ever get that to begin with and none of my friends gives a rats ass if we ever hear it. We're too busy trying to get our kids into college without being denied for being asian let alone just getting hired.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »
I would think a Gay Black Conservative would be an interesting person to listen to.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
He's quite funny and with this current trend of comedians not taking college gigs . I think he would of gotten band anyway.

I do understand why , comedy is mostly about finding humor in every single thing possible. It will cross boundaries. Even clean humor will touch the edge of whats not appropriate.

i find seinfeld very restrained so to think he offends student kinda pushed me over the edge to make this post. Most comedians has clean skits for children so when thats not enough .....

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 01:46:29 PM »
A student would be have to be seriously  hypersensitive to be offended by Jerry Seinfeld.

I respect Seinfeld  for quitting while he was ahead and ending his series appropriately.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »
A student would be have to be seriously  hypersensitive to be offended by Jerry Seinfeld.

And yet they are.....which is why he doesn't perform on college campuses any longer, with all those prescious snowflakes, that apparently can be so mentally damaged.  I respect him all the more for quitting those