Author Topic: Now for something competely different!  (Read 823 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Now for something competely different!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Feynman never made it to Tuva, unfortunately. The Soviets did not want any ties between the Tuvans and Americans.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187859/

This is a  kickass documentary about Paul Pena,  a blind singer of Cabo Verde ancestry, who did. Pena heard some Tuvan throatsinging on Radio Moscow and then researched it and taught himself how to sing in the "earthquake" style. He made it to Kyzyl and participated in a contest and won a prize. Genghis Blues is the story of his trip. Throatsinging is not just Tuvan, it is also sung in all the Buddhist cultures of Central Asia: Mongolia, Inner Mongolia, and Siberia, among the Buryat people who live around Lake Baikal.

Paul was blind, diabetic and perhaps an addict, but he was a great musician.  I think you can watch Genghis Blues online for free.

Paul  Pena  did not record any Cabo Verde music, but he has serious musical chops.

I am most fond of Cesaria Evora, probably Cabo Verde's  most famous citizen. They named an airport after her.

Here is one of her classics.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 08:03:30 PM »
I read Feynman's book and also watched the great PBS documentary about his attempts to visit Tuva. He was a fascinating genius.

An American who DID make it to Tuva was Paul Pena, a blind musician of Cabo Verde heritage that made it big with a couple of hits in the early 70's (Jet Airline was one.) Penha moved to SF and one night discovered Tuvan throat singing on Radio Moscow. Then he taught himself how to do it. When a famous Tuvan came for a concert, he  sang for him in the lobby after the show and was invited to Tuva for a contest, in which he won a prize. The story of Paul Pena's trip was covered in a cool documentary, Genghis Blues.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187859/

I think you can watch it online for free. I recommend it.

The Cabo Verde Islands are seven major islands and some islets off the coast of Senegal and are now one of Africa's most successful countries: democratic and fairly prosperous by African standards. They were a part of Portugal until the Portuguese deposed Salazar and freed all the old colonies: Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau and Cabo Verde.

Probably the most famous Cape Verdean is Cesaria Evora, a singer of mourna and other local styles, which is a bit like Portuguese Fado and a bit like some Brazilian styles, like Zeca and Jobim play.

Here is one of her best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYHUHa4jl4

I posted this once and it vanished, then I redid it, and it returned.