Author Topic: Trump Twitter is trite  (Read 8192 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trump Twitter is trite
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
You can expect a response to be along the lines that every individual Chrisitian must prove God's existance themselves, or........... the folks demanding the proof will have their heads explode I guess
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »
Hell, Newton had to prove that GRAVITY exists. Galileo had to prove that the Earth revolves around the Sun and not vice versa,

What keeps you from agreement with DeCart  who found the preponderance of evidence in favor of Gods existence, or Pascal who finds all the risk of the question to be on the "anti" side?

Do you have to prove that Newton exists?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 07:23:04 AM »
What keeps you from agreement with DeCart  who found the preponderance of evidence in favor of Gods existence, or Pascal who finds all the risk of the question to be on the "anti" side?

Descartes said that God exists because he had a sense within him that God exists. That is a fucking cop out. He may not have believed it himself.
Of course, Descartes knew that if he claimed that God did not exist, and the word got out that he has written this, he would have been seriously tortured by the Holy Office. As it was, he arranged for his Research on the Method to be published. AFTER his death. Read up on Descartes.

Pascal was a mathematician and  said that one should believe because if one was correct, one would be rewarded, whereas if one believed and God did not exist, then there would be no penalty.

Of course, Pascal postulated that if there was a God it was the one he had been indoctrinated with as a child, and that God punished nonbelievers with Hellfire and Damnation.

Of course, if your entire belief structure is predicated on a lie, then the penalty is that you cannot be taken seriously.
He also assumes that  believing is a conscious choice. To be a believer, all one has to do is to force oneself to believe and to reject all logical indications that point to disbelief. It does not work that way. One cannot force oneself to believe. At best one only gets a neurosis that way.

No matter how hard I try, whiskey tastes just awful to me. Scotch, Bourbon, makes no difference. I can accept that others like the taste, but I cannot. In the same way, I cannot see Christian theism as anything but a poorly constructed hodgepodge. I cannot bring myself to believe that Pigs are capable of independent flight, either, and for the same reasons.

One thing is belief in a God, another is to believe that said God fits certain perimeters and has various attributes. Christian Theism has a whole bunch of illogical features: Original Sin, which states that Adam and Eve's snack has doomed every descendant forever. We no longer punish people for the sins of their fathers in civilized society. We would not execute John Wayne Gacey, Jr for his father's crimes. Svetlana Stalin came to the US and no one suggested that she be held accountable for what her father Josef did. We are smart enough to understand this. But we think God is not.

The Bible has God declaring, I thy God am a JEALOUS God, Jealous of what?  Zeus? Baal? The Great Spirit? His Noodliness the FSM? How fucking omniscient is jealousy?

The entire doctrine of the Trinity is nonsensical, unless you see it for what it is: a fusion of  Christianity with several  popular mystery religions, done to win converts.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
That's one opinion.  I suggest you chose not to believe.  There, that should set your mind at ease now.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
I do not choose to believe or disbelieve. I simply state that if there is a God, there is no logical way he/she/it could be either of the entities described in the Bible.
Nor the genocidal jealous creature described in the OT or the God of Love described in parts of the NT.
And the concept of the Trinity is just dumb.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
Actually you do....there is no middle.  You either believe there's a God.....or you don't.  Your ongoing OPINIONS not withstanding, its apparent you're of the non-believer category.  I'll keep you in my prayers, come judgement day

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »

Descartes said that God exists because he had a sense within him .........................

Hahaha!

This is a great post!

I am not prepared to answer in kind right now , this argument deserves more thought than I have preloaded.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 02:22:07 AM »
You either believe there's a God.....or you don't.

That is simply not true.

I have insufficient evidence to conclude that there is or is not a God.
I have insufficient information about the nature of such a being as well.
I cannot determine whether a Ford is better than a Chevy, either.
I could probably answer that by trying one or each. Theology is harder to deal with.
I had some woman tell me that I WANTED to believe, but I don't I don't want to disbelieve, either. I think I rather enjoy the mental exercise of finding the many defects in the features of all points of view.

Jesus said "let the young children come to me" or so they say. This is because if you indoctrinate some children when they a0re too young to reason, then belief in not just God but the entire religion is wired in their brains to bypass the logic circuits. I don't think they are CAPABLE of questioning this stuff. Mohammad certainly managed to keep his flock from drifting away by requiring prayer FIVE TIMES A DAY on a set schedule. That is serious self-indoctrination. That is why there are fanatics.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 03:44:38 AM »
You either believe there's a God.....or you don't.

That is simply not true.

Sure it is.  If someone has 2 options, you chose one.  You have made it abundantly clear your disbelief of God.  Fine.  That's your choice.  No one is forcing you to believe or even read a bible verse.  Why this obsession with those who do choose to believe is truly a measure of irrational behavior

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
 You have made it abundantly clear your disbelief of God.
================================================

I have done no such thing, I have merely presented the foolish aspects of the Christian description of God.
I have not presented where I disagree with absolute atheists because there are none here to debate.

My position is that the existence of any Supreme Being is neither provable nor disprovable.

The silliness and illogic of nonsensical crap like thew Original Sin, the Book of Job, the "Great Flood" and the Holy Trinity are quite evident to me.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »
Yes, you have.  Your insidious demeaning and dispecting of any and every Christian, for their "imagined" walk with God is #1 in the clear mode of disbelief.  NOT ONE CHRISTIAN is on record at trying to offer DNA-like proof of God.  Its a faith/belief.  It requires no proving to anyone.  You either believe......or in your case, you don't.  Period
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 02:21:52 PM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
Your God cannot exist because it is logically impossible. You seem to waste a lot of time talking to yourself thinking you are communicating with an Impossible Entity.

Again A god is possible. The one mentioned in the Bible, no.
You can also believe in the Tooth Fairy, Santa Claus, a Guardian Angle and a Fairy Godmother.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 03:11:45 PM »
Your God cannot exist because it is logically impossible.

LOL....SEE.....you don't believe.  Fine.  That's your choice.  oy vey

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 06:05:54 PM »
There are more than two  options here.
(1) No God exists, anywhere. The Universe just happened. viruses and bacteria capable is reproduction appeared in a natural process, and may have appeared on Earth or have arrived on Earth via a comet or some other object.
(2) The Biblical God exists, and  In the Beginning, yammer yammer yammer, etc.
(3) A God exists other than the Biblical God  that is responsible for Creation
(4) A God exists other than the Biblical God that is not a creator but is a part of Creation.
(5) There is insufficient information to determine whether any God exists or not.
(6) There is insufficient information to determine whether a God exists, but there IS sufficient information to indicate that the Biblical God is a creation of some tribe of humans, just as other tribes invented Osiris, Zeus, Thor, Ganesh and so on.
(7) A multiplicity of Gods exist in the Universe. which is quite immense.

And I pick choice (6)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
No, there are 2 options.  God exists....or he doesn't.  Any other "manifestation" is not God now, is it.  and as you keep demonstrating, and making abundantly clear, he doesn't exist.  Bravo on your choice.  I'll keep you in my prayers, anyways