Author Topic: Trump Twitter is trite  (Read 8196 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trump Twitter is trite
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »

Descartes said that God exists because he had a sense within him that God exists. That is a fucking cop out. He may not have believed it himself.

I think this is actually a reasonable assertion , though I don't think it can be positively proven. There are very few human societies that do not worship some sort of God , indeed as if we were built for it. It is ubiquitous and this indicates it is a part of human nature as Descartes asserted. (BTW thanks for the spelling spellcheck was no help.) 
Of course, Descartes knew that if he claimed that God did not exist, and the word got out that he has written this, he would have been seriously tortured by the Holy Office. As it was, he arranged for his Research on the Method to be published. AFTER his death. Read up on Descartes.
How did he know when he would die? This is a good point though , the first amendment is valuable to us not only to protect religious observance , it also prevents religious observance from being mandatory and therefore less than genuine.

Pascal was a mathematician and  said that one should believe because if one was correct, one would be rewarded, whereas if one believed and God did not exist, then there would be no penalty.
Yep

Of course, Pascal postulated that if there was a God it was the one he had been indoctrinated with as a child, and that God punished nonbelievers with Hellfire and Damnation.
  So Pascal actually is arguing more against Agnosticism than against Atheism or other religions? 

Of course, if your entire belief structure is predicated on a lie, then the penalty is that you cannot be taken seriously.
He also assumes that  believing is a conscious choice. To be a believer, all one has to do is to force oneself to believe and to reject all logical indications that point to disbelief. It does not work that way. One cannot force oneself to believe. At best one only gets a neurosis that way.
If belief is not a conscious choice , what is it? Do you choose to believe your favorite politician, or used car salesman? 

No matter how hard I try, whiskey tastes just awful to me. Scotch, Bourbon, makes no difference. I can accept that others like the taste, but I cannot. In the same way, I cannot see Christian theism as anything but a poorly constructed hodgepodge. I cannot bring myself to believe that Pigs are capable of independent flight, either, and for the same reasons.
I don't think these are as tightly connected as you are positing. The people who love Gin don't look for that flavor in nonalcoholic drinks.

One thing is belief in a God, another is to believe that said God fits certain perimeters and has various attributes. Christian Theism has a whole bunch of illogical features: Original Sin, which states that Adam and Eve's snack has doomed every descendant forever. We no longer punish people for the sins of their fathers in civilized society. We would not execute John Wayne Gacey, Jr for his father's crimes. Svetlana Stalin came to the US and no one suggested that she be held accountable for what her father Josef did. We are smart enough to understand this. But we think God is not.
As a Son of the Confederacy , I am glad to see you have a good attitude about these things and do not think racism and unfairness to be congenital.

The Bible has God declaring, I thy God am a JEALOUS God, Jealous of what?  Zeus? Baal? The Great Spirit? His Noodliness the FSM? How fucking omniscient is jealousy?
yes    also any other thing that costs him his proper place in your life, Golf TV Facebook etc..

The entire doctrine of the Trinity is nonsensical, unless you see it for what it is: a fusion of  Christianity with several  popular mystery religions, done to win converts.
  I don't want to defend the Trinity, I don't see it in the scriptures .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
   God is .

And the instinctive agreement with the existence of God is one of those indications that not only does God exist as our creator , but that we are created with a need for him.

All of nature operates as neatly as a self winding watch. Which strikes one as a violation of the laws of entropy , especially the operation of life which is extremely complicated and full of systems that are interdependent . That this whole thing does not need a guide to come into being seems so counterintuitive that arguments against the existence of God need to discount or attack the need for a creator .

Indeed if the universe is infinite , it must contain everything that can exist. Does this mean everything that God does not forbid to exist?

If there is a God and human beings are created for his use and pleasure , the explanation of human nature is simplified . The existence of all things whether understandable by us or not makes some sense and seems to have some purpose.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2016, 08:01:31 PM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:07:27 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
If belief is not a conscious choice , what is it? Do you choose to believe your favorite politician, or used car salesman? 

I do not see belief as a choice I can force myself to make. I cannot force myself to enjoy the taste of anchovies. I cannot force myself to love a woman, I cannot force myself not to be attracted to a woman I like. The best I can do if she is uninterested in me is simply reorient myself to some other pursuit.
I cannot force myself to believe in God. I cannot force myself  to disbelieve in something that seems logical. I cannot force myself to believe that 11+78 is not 89. Both logic and emotion seem to have a role in this.

I agree that the Trinity is not to be found mentioned as such in the Bible. Paul, however does mention, in separate passages, God the Father, Jesus Christ, and there is somewhere in which he insists that disbelief in the Holy Spirit is the worst sort of wrong.
I have not memorized chapters and verses, though. Perhaps you have seen this. So I assume that at the Council of Nicea, they decided that 1+1+1=the Holy Trinity.  It is all tied up with crossing oneself. and such.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »

And the instinctive agreement with the existence of God is one of those indications that not only does God exist as our creator , but that we are created with a need for him.

==============================================================
I do not feel for a need for any divine being. Upon occasion, I simply wish that there was a way of forcing things to come out correctly, or someone to punch in the nose when they do not.

I think we are all born with an instinct to ask Mommy and Daddy for help, and still have that instinct even after they have left the scene. I would call this a survival instinct, and as such it makes sense to me.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."