Author Topic: The most idiotic response ever.  (Read 3995 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The most idiotic response ever.
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:09:17 AM »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The most idiotic response ever.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:17:57 AM »
Actually, that would be this piece of irresponsible clap trap, as the most idiotic response ever
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 06:49:34 AM »
You did not even watch it, sirs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 10:22:44 AM »
The title referenced most idiotic response ever.   I provided it
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 02:51:05 PM »
You are an imbecile.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
And you are a moron.  So there we have it      ::)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/rrqqQAfenUo

Ouch.

I think this reveals that he isn't familiar with the term "nuclear triad" and is trying to pretend he is.

That was pretty bad , but I remember President Obama answering a similar question with a non-sequitur   that made it sound as if he thought that the very recent inventions of the Aircraft Carrier and the Submarine made it un-necessary for the Navy to buy a lot of Horses and Bayonets.

This was so bad I was gobsmacked myself ! How could anyone that had ever seen a ship let alone a warship think that until the recent invention of the Submarine and Aircraft carrier that the Navy needed to buy a lot of Horses and bayonets!

Then Mitt Romney just let it pass , as if he didn't know any better himself, or was he just that overly polite?

So after this painful display of ignorance everyone seems to have forgotten that President Obama was asked about how many ships the Navy must have, which, even  after being commander in chief of the Navy for four years already, he could not answer at all.

I agree that Donald Trump did a very poor job of answering this question he was asked , but there seems to be a very low bar for such things nowadays.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:59:15 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 12:31:08 AM »
So after this painful display of ignorance everyone seems to have forgotten that President Obama was asked about how many ships the Navy must have, which, even  after being commander in chief of the Navy for four years already, he could not answer at all.
==========================================================
The Navy itself cannot answer this. other than to say "It depends". Obviously the size of the ships matters, as does the possible threat posed by
possible naval rivals, which I imagine would be Russia and China,   It is the job of the Secretary of the Navy to answer the question.

By the way, how many ships is the magic number?  Just in case someone asks me.

Obama's reference to horses and bayonets referred to the Army, not the Navy. I think the Army does still have a few horses for various duties, mostly of the ceremonial type.

Trump obviously was ignorant of the term "nuclear triad". The honest thing to do would be to ask the reporter to define the term. One could reasonable expect a presidential candidate  to be familiar with such a term, I had read it years ago, but did not immediately understand it. But I am not running for president, either.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 03:49:42 AM »

By the way, how many ships is the magic number?  Just in case someone asks me.

Obama's reference to horses and bayonets referred to the Army, not the Navy. I think the Army does still have a few horses for various duties, mostly of the ceremonial type..
Nope. He was answering a question about the Navy and actually did say that the RECENT invention of the Submarine and Aircraft Carrier made a smaller number of ships good, just as there is no longer such a requirement for Horses and bayonets. So non sequitur completely. I don't suppose I needed to point out that the invention of the Carrier and Sub was not really recent?

Trump obviously was ignorant of the term "nuclear triad". The honest thing to do would be to ask the reporter to define the term. One could reasonable expect a presidential candidate  to be familiar with such a term, I had read it years ago, but did not immediately understand it. But I am not running for president, either.
. Trump really missed the target there, but it has been a while now since we have had a president who could sub for a general or admiral, apparently a thorough understanding of military matters is not being demanded by the public .

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 08:42:51 AM »
He was correct, the use of submarines and aircraft carriers has made battleships unnecessary. I don't think anyone in the Navy wants battleships. And horses and bayonets were never a major Navy thing, he was making an analogy, and a correct one.

How many ships does the Navy need, by the way?
If it is important all citizens should know.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 04:26:48 PM »
He was correct, the use of submarines and aircraft carriers has made battleships unnecessary. I don't think anyone in the Navy wants battleships. And horses and bayonets were never a major Navy thing, he was making an analogy, and a correct one.

How many ships does the Navy need, by the way?
If it is important all citizens should know.

Again, Six Hundred.

That is my opinion, yours may differ.

But I was a member of a 370 ship Navy , and our treaty obligations stretched us out very thin.

If we have fewer than 500 ships we will keep our crews in exhausting rotations just appearing where we have promised to appear and guarding what we have promised to guard.

If Trump is correct and NATO does not need us and we don't need NATO then we also don't need enough Navy to meet NATO obligations.

So my opinion has modern foundations , perhaps I should brief the President whose opinion seems to be based on inventions of 80 and 150 years ago.

Why couldn't the man who had the Navy in his command for four years already answer this question coherently?  Probably because he had delegated all the decisions to the people who had the knowledge.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »
If Trump is correct and NATO does not need us and we don't need NATO then we also don't need enough Navy to meet NATO obligations.

Trump is totally ignorant about everything. NATO seems to be necessary for the stability of Europe, and the stability of Europe is good for the US.
Convincing Europe to contribute more should not be open to public debate.
The US does not need Estonia to defend it. Estonia is a small and puny nation. But the US defending Estonia serves to contain Russian ambitions.
Estonia is pretty well run. Ukraine is a horrid disaster. The right and the left have both elected  hideously corrupt governments in Ukraine.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
   What does it matter that Trump knows little. President Obama fails this just as well and many are willing to call him a success.

Is there actually a higher standard for Republicans in the first place?

If we have high standards then I can't explain Trump.

Can you explain Hillary and Bill and Barak?

I am so unhappy with these people , that I want to know more about Libertarians and Greens.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »
What does it matter that Trump knows little. President Obama fails this just as well and many are willing to call him a success.

President Obama has been successful at running the US Navy. Has even one ship been sunk by an enemy? Has the Navvy failed since January 2008 NOT to provide the support it could?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
Plane's point was that before Obama ran anything, he knew prescious little, if ANYTHING, especially regarding the navy.  So, if as you say, Obama can be supposedly successful, without knowing anything, what prevents Trumps from attaining the same level of success without supposedly knowing anything??