Author Topic: ASIA TIMES: "Deplorably, Trump is going to win"  (Read 2214 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: ASIA TIMES: "Deplorably, Trump is going to win"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:20:15 PM »
   That article is a great find!

Both as well reasoned argument and as a stemwinder.

Then the comments are even better!

John W Berresford  • 15 hours ago 

I recall another, similar loser, Adlai Stevenson, the Democratic candidate for President in 1952. A woman gushed at him "Every thinking person will be voting for you." Stevenson supposedly replied: "Madam, that is not enough. I need a majority." He lost in a landslide for many reasons, but one of them was his screaming sense of superiority to the smelly peasants whose votes he was seeking.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:35:04 AM »
Adlai Stevenson was the best choice.  He would have cashiered the Dulles Brothers and saved us much embarrassment and many lives, 
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:53:20 AM »
Adlai Stevenson was the best choice.  He would have cashiered the Dulles Brothers and saved us much embarrassment and many lives,

Do you agree that an explicit insult to the electorate made a significant difference to his chance to be elected?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:54:34 AM »
I would wager that in modern day politics, the individual that wins the Presidential election, isn't the one with the policies that a majority of the electorate is clamoring for......it's the one that they personally "like" more.  Thats a sad commentary, but when you look back over the decades, it explains why Reagan was so overwhelmingly elected to 2 terms.  Why Bill, despite his horrid sexual depravity was elected to 2 terms.  Bush 2 was far more affable and able to connect with the electorate.  It explains Obama's 2nd win, not so much his 1st.  And it explains why despite the mountain of un-trustworthiness by Hillary, she still polled better, because people generally "liked" her more than Trump

Until now   
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
  Do you agree that an explicit insult to the electorate made a significant difference to his chance to be elected?
======================================
No, I do not recall the statement or the issue. Stevenson lost because he was not (a) a war hero and (b) Harry Truman.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 11:50:48 PM »
I've always liked Spengler's writing, even when I disagree with him. In this case, I don't disagree. As a commenter on another site put it:

"In 72 hours Hillary has called 50% of Trump supporters ?deplorables,? had a f*cking seizure in public, announced she has pneumonia and attacked Pepe the Frog officially on her website,? reddit user Skippyilove pointed out. ?This can?t be real life.?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke