Author Topic: Kaepernick Started something, it appears.  (Read 7929 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kaepernick Started something, it appears.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 08:09:43 PM »
Uhm
By saying million died for him to protest then what he did is a positive and in no way is he should be portrayed as ungrateful.

I wholeheartedly disagree.....and such is the power of the 1st amendment   

I do not recall a single arguement stating what he did was incorrect.

Actually, it has...multiple times.  There are far more respectful ways to protest something that perceive as some racial injustice.  He chose a very blatant dispectful means...thus an incorrect manner in which to portray his protest.  The pigs on his socks didn't help, either
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »
................................to protest then what he did is a positive......................

I would not go that far.

Americans are pretty tolerant , but also quite fond of the Nation and its symbols.

What exactly is he protesting and what would be the intended result?

If the big guy you are insulting does not hit you , that is good on the big guy , not you.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »
i`ll say it again my 1st response when colin did was did he get stopped by the police. he did a few weeks earlier. so to me that was a tipping point that made him think about how much this country done for him. he found it lacking. note he was not the 1st but the most visible and the fact more are following his example means something needs to be addressed. what he`s protesting was in the news for quite awhile but the response was behave . not a good answer

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 12:25:18 AM »
Kimba.....I feel like we're just repeating ourselves here....whatever he did or didn't do, as it relates to getting pulled over, didn't result in a shooting, or even him being "roughed up", so that in itself is a hard pill to swallow for "tipping him".  But more to the point, the national anthem is literally a sacred song to this country.  We sing it to honor those who fought and have defended our country.  You can hate this country, and think its all manner of racist, but there are ways to express that without degrading those that the National Anthem honors

In other words, what he did was incorrect, if he wanted to perform some protest, given he's in no way oppressed, in any form or fashion.  It's wholly ungrateful to the millions who have sacrificed their lives in defense of this country, and its way of life that he has been so rewarded in

So, he has every right to protest however he wants.  We all have every right to protest how he decided to protest.  That's how the 1st amendment works
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:01:13 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »
We sing it to honor those who fought and have defended our country.

==============================================
We sing it (if indeed we do sing it) because the sheeple around us are singing it, at least at NFL games.We only sing the first verse, because there are some pro-slavery bits in the following verses.

Perhaps it is sung out of patriotism at VFW meetings. But at football games? Get effing serious!

It is the IDEAL place for a Black American to convey the idea to White Americans that this country is arresting, detaining and occasionally killing  Black American fellow citizens because of the racism of the police. Most of the viewers of NFL games are White guys. When they see some cop has pulled over yet another Black driver, it may give at least some of them something to think about.

Just sitting down and not standing is as non violent as a protest can get. Wearing socks is merely humorous. But it sets off sirs & CU4's dogwhistle racism.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 12:13:32 PM »
Your opinion on the "why" we sing the national anthem is duly noted....and discarded.  Colin's actions are still grossly inappropriate & hypocritical.  And its MY 1st amendment right to say such

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »
You have a right to be a dogwhistle racist and a buffoon, it is true.
It is your good fortune that you have me to remind you of this.

Why should an NFL game be an occasion for patriotism?
I can understand burials of veterans and Veterans' Day events, but venues for wall to wall beer commercials?

Do you stand up for the National Anthem when you watch NFL games on TV sirs?
Does exhibiting patriotism while hearing the anthem require an audience for you to respond by rising from your Barca Lounger?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 12:45:44 PM »
And you have a right to call anyone you dislike any name you want, regardless of how wrong you are.  That is indeed your right as well

An NFL game, like any sports related activity, is a PRIVATE enterprise.  If they all choose to make it an occasion to remind us of the sacrafices this country has had to endure to enjoy the sports function, who are you to say they can't, or even shouldn't??

I stand for EVERY event that I GO TO, in which the announcer asks that everyone please stand for the singing of our National Anthem.  It's the very least I can do to honor those that defend this country, and those that died doing so

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
And if you don't stand up for the National Anthem, then there is something seriously wrong with you

See how that works?
=========================================
The next time you watch an NFL game, make sure you stand attentively with your hand over your patriotic  little heart as the sacred song is sung. If you get up to pee, get another beer, or just sit there in your Barcalounger, there is something seriously wrong with you by your own definition.

Why do you need to be surrounded by football fans you do not know to be a patriot and exhibit your love of country? Should you not love your country from the comfort of home?

Why do you need an announcer to tell you to be patriotic? You sound like you are in Junior High.

If you are sitting down when they play the Sacred Rhetorical Question that is our National Anthem, you are joining Kaepernick in his protest.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:45:10 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 01:44:27 PM »
The next time I ATTEND an NFL game, (or ANY event, where the announcer has asked us to stand and pay or respects in singing the National Anthem) you can bet I'll be standing with everyone else who recognizes those that defend this country, and those that died doing so.  It's a sign of solidarity

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
sir you said did not get roughed up which means he complied which is what was expected of him but believe it was the tipping point for him. i understand you believe the anthem was the wrong way to protest but i think this was  something that would still happen by him or somebody else. the national anthem simply cannot be excluded . remember I did say he was not the first just the most noticable. I do think because he was always a unlikable player so the spotlight shines more on him.

the issue here is excessive abuse from police and still that issue does not get that much attention. the news does cover white teens getting shot by the police but it just does not register

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »
That can be perceived as an "issue", one that doesn't appear to be bolsted by facts, simply pushed by social media and camera phones, making it appear its some "out of control" activity.  I would wager just the opposite, in which police now are far less likely to engage with subjects, for fear of being sued.....or worse, shot

But that's really all besides the point.  No one is claiming, or even implying Colin shouldn't be allowed to protest, what he perceives is some racial injustice.  Doesn't make his protest based on any facts, merely his perception.  And more importantly, doesn't protect him from those exercising the very same 1st amendment right in proclaiming how ignorant and ungrateful his form of protest is

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 02:37:42 PM »
I said before i got no problem him getting fired for this but stating he did cause a reaction which other are following his example.

true police are under the microscope now but they always are . I assumed police would behaved after ferguson. But it seemed to have no effect at all. It now a wait and see if it works now. Im now curious if those body cams helped. I predict an increase in crime if the officers are second guess on arrests

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
Just to be clear i expect people who protest getting some kind of blowback for thier efferts. Your rights to protest does not mean your protected.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 02:59:12 PM »
Just to be clear i expect people who protest getting some kind of blowback for thier efferts. Your rights to protest does not mean your protected.

Which has been my point all along.  However to leftists, he shouldn't be "shamed" apparently...the ever famous shield of political correctness shines its ugly sheen once again
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 03:53:13 PM by sirs »