Author Topic: Nation's largest police union endorses Trump  (Read 2700 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nation's largest police union endorses Trump
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:14:39 PM »

Nation's largest police union endorses Trump

By Ben Kamisar

September 16, 2016

The nation's largest police union on Friday endorsed Donald Trump for president, lauding his commitment to police officers.

The Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) gave the GOP presidential nominee its endorsement after he received support from more than two-thirds of the group's national board.

"[Trump] has seriously looked at the issues facing law enforcement today. He understands and supports our priorities and our members believe he will make America safe again," said Chuck Canterbury, the FOP's national president.

"He's made a real commitment to America's law enforcement and we're proud to make a commitment to him and his campaign by endorsing his candidacy today." 

With labor groups overwhelmingly behind Clinton, Trump made an aggressive play for support from the police union.

He met with top officials from the FOP at Trump Tower in May, and he has made stops on the campaign trail at the union's local chapters.

"I'm on your side 1,000 percent," Trump told an FOP chapter in North Carolina in August. "What you do is incredible."

The FOP had expressed anger at Trump's rival, Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, for declining to fill out a questionnaire necessary to win the group's endorsement.

The group characterized Clinton's refusal as a snub, and Canterbury referenced it in his statement Friday.

"Obviously this is an unusual election. We have a candidate who declined to seek an endorsement and a candidate without any record as an elected official," he said.

"Donald Trump may not ever have been elected to public [office] but he is a proven leader and that's what we need for the next four years, a leader unafraid to make tough choices and see them through."

Trump has made "law and order" part of his campaign message while portraying Clinton as not supportive of law enforcement. Clinton has fought back against that charge with the help of officials like outgoing New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton.

The FOP did not endorse a presidential candidate in 2012 after backing Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) in 2008. The group has not endorsed a Democratic presidential nominee since Bill Clinton in 1996.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/296342-nations-largest-police-union-endorses-trump
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Nation's largest police union endorses Trump
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »
I get a call from these  sumbitches twice a year in which some clown says that he is a paid fund raiser for the FOP and then he hits me up for money.

Or at least I assume that he would do this, since these days all I have to hear is "paid fund raiser for the FOP" and I just hang up. It the bastards are too lazy to do their own begging, I am not giving them or anyone else that uses paid fund raisers a dime.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:47:30 AM »
I get a call from these  sumbitches twice a year in which some clown says that he is a paid fund raiser for the FOP and then he hits me up for money.

Or at least I assume that he would do this, since these days all I have to hear is "paid fund raiser for the FOP" and I just hang up. It the bastards are too lazy to do their own begging, I am not giving them or anyone else that uses paid fund raisers a dime.

You are totally right to do so, there is no way to prevent frauds from claiming to represent anyone or everyone on the phone.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 12:50:45 AM »
   Why isn't HRC getting this endorsement?

The Clinton administration had a strong law and order record and made a point of hiring a lot of police and building a lot of prison.

Hmmmm.....

Then they filled those prisons with male black humans.

Perhaps HRC would like some of the record to not be discussed in depth.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
The FOP asked each candidate to write down answers to a questionnaire to be reviewed by the honchos. Trump filled it out, Hillary didn't.

So they had to give the endorsement to Trump or not endorse anyone.

I do not doubt that the "paid fundraiser" really did represent the police union. The FL State Highway Patrol also hires paid fundraisers. Sometimes I see a notice in the Miami Herald about their fund drives. They don't say much about what the money pays for.

Once along time ago, my now ex-wife said we would contribute, because they were mailing out a sticker you could put on your license plate. A friend told her that it would result in her not getting a ticket. Naturally, she did not send any money, telling me that it was MY obligation. Then the paid fund raisers started calling demanding we send $25, like the damned sticker was something that did not cost them 50ยข to send out. After a couple of calls, I asked for the address, telling the paid fund raiser that we were in serious financial ruin and I would peel off the sticker and mail it back to him. He said he would call back with the address. But I peeled the damned thing off and sent it to the address in the phone book. After than, I just hung up on anyone from the police begging for money, and told my ex to do the same.

In the beginning the paid fund raisers did not identify themselves as such. I think the ACLU threatened to sue them until they started doing this.

I donate money to whom and when I please, never to telephone solicitors. I wish everyone would do the same.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »
I work in security and know alot of police officers and even they say thier a douches and sometimes woder they don't attack each other. Which they do.

So an endorsement from them should not carry much weight. We can respect the hard job they do but must acknowledge how dangerous they can be to the public.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 03:39:29 PM »
I notice publicly the police does very little to get public trust. Is it the least thing required of a officer?

This arrest is legal

http://www.insideedition.com/videos5700-woman-in-labor-begs-cops-not-to-arrest-husband-who-was-speeding-to-hospital

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 04:38:56 PM »
The FOP asked each candidate to write down answers to a questionnaire to be reviewed by the honchos. Trump filled it out, Hillary didn't.

So they had to give the endorsement to Trump or not endorse anyone.

Seriously?.....they "had to"?  The largest Police Union is going to endorse someone for President because 1 person filled out a questionaire, and the other didn't?? 

Putting aside that just your say so, you believe that's how Unions, via their leadership, make decisions like who to endorse for President of the U.S., on who did or didn't fill out a questionaire??  Nothing at all related to policies or positions taken?  Wow, what a low level of intellect you give Unions
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 04:46:04 PM »
The FOP is not a real union. It certainly is not a typical one.
Most police do not belong to it.

And Hillary refused to fill out their questionnaire,
So Trump won a race in which he was the only contestant.
You should be impressed.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »
Naaa, the thing I'm impressed with is your notion that a large union, is going to make an official endursement, as serious as President of the U.S., based merely on who did and didn't fill out a questionaire.  I wonder if the candidates turned in their questionaires to SEIU & AFLCIO, for their endorsements
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »
Unions are free to require or not require whatever paperwork they wish regarding endorsements.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
I'm sure that's the case.  I'm simply of the belief that Unions take their endorsements seriously, especially for President, and make such decisions based on far more than who handed in their homework