Author Topic: do you think this is funny?  (Read 1704 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
do you think this is funny?
« on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:58 PM »
I was never a fan of these kinds of jokes but if I would like to know if from now on I`m gonna have to deal with this

i never believe saying it`s just a joke is a defense

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/calif-student-deportation-letters-minority-classmates-article-1.2869924?utm_content=buffer65c43&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: do you think this is funny?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »
  That is a hard question.

Hardly anything is funny unless someone is shamed or pained.

But the falloff happens suddenly when the shame or pain is too great.

I recently watched a video of Sammy Davis Junior performing with Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra, the songs were good and the audience was rolling over the jokes. But the jokes were too racially insensitive for someone conditioned as I have been , so I got a lot more cringe than humor. This was top of the line at the time , but the markers have moved since then.

I like to be funny , but I hate to suffer shame , so there are a lot of jokes I don't repeat, either they are not funny enough, or they are over the marker for offense.

Realizing the placement of this marker is the hardest part , and watching Chappelle is not,  much   help.      https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/5colix/dave_chapelles_snl_monologue/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHKprqCNUmc

I could not find the same one again , but this one is similar, at about 1:20 Johnny Carson asks Sammy Davis Jr to do an impression of a race riot.  They are all very familiar with each other and having a good time, but there are several things that would not fly right now.

Perhaps what makes the difference is how such things get understood, where the intent is clearly humor you can get away with a lot, when the intent is clearly to hurt you can't even smile.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 02:25:45 AM »
I`m a very big fan of comedy and do understand context dealing with our past. but lately the claim we should not be sensative is a tricky one since I do understand both sides.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:56:31 PM »
Then we agree that it is difficult.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
Yes.  Lately it seems humor has taken a serious hit and do believe we should not loose this but i also believe somethings should be unacceptable.
doesnt help im not the kind of guy who picks sides