Author Topic: If social security gets cancelled  (Read 6488 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If social security gets cancelled
« on: December 01, 2016, 02:16:28 AM »
Legally the government is not required to return the money to the people they collected from. But that does not mean people would should sit still to it.

Once in awhile this subject keeps popping up and i have not heard answer to what happens to the money if it happens

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: If social security gets cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 02:30:55 PM »
Why preface a scenario that isn't going to happen?  That's political suicide to "cancel" SS.  Modifications are definitely in order.  Some privatization would be an extremely wise approach, but it'll never be cancelled
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
Because most if not all proposals I've witness has been for cancelling it. One time it was called welfare .

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »
People can say...pretty much anything.  It won't be cancelled, however.  As I said, political suicide....not just the President, but party as well
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:10:20 PM »
actually quite alot of of conservatives has been favorable to it and the quote is welfare to the middle class. so far no party has been harmed by this statements.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
actually quite alot of of conservatives has been favorable to it

can you source the "quite a lot" of Conservatives that have advocated cancelling social security without offering a replacement that they feel is better?

i do think social security should be "means tested" after the person gets back what they paid in, because at that point it is basically welfare....

why should T. Boone Pickens get social security checks after he gets back what he has paid in?

that is welfare to the rich.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
Social security doesn't have any money of its own.

Who's bright idea was it to invest all of the Social Security tax receipts into nothing?

Three generations of placing all of that money in the general fund so that it would be spent immediately leaves SS as dependent on the general fund as any other federal program.

If I were offered 50% of all the money I have given to the SS fund as a cash out and quitclaim ,I would grab it as a chicken grabs a June Bug. That would be a terrific deal for me and would confer much greater safety for my future.

Unfortunately there is no way to cashout all of our people at 50% of contributions, there isn't that much money there. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 02:09:09 AM »
actually quite alot of of conservatives has been favorable to it and the quote is welfare to the middle class. so far no party has been harmed by this statements.

I have to echo Cu4's question......who are these "alot of conservatives" who simply want to cancel SS??

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
actually I have a hard time finding it. i get these info passively but for some reason actively cannot get these info. most articles are about trump cutting it . which is not what I`m talking about. this is not about some recent news that just popped up on my computer. i`m talking about years here of getting news about social security getting cut as a strategy to gain support.

it was these news pop up that got me to post hjere

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 11:29:29 PM »
that's ok Kimba....I think some Republicans have offered some alternative plans to SS. It's impossible to cancel it without another plan. Too many people depend on it to cancel it and not offer the alternative.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 05:57:42 AM »
I would be willing to make a bet.

That for two years while the President , Congress and Senate are held by Republicans , there will not be a significant legislation on Social Security passed.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 07:35:50 PM »
I would be willing to make a bet.That for two years while the President , Congress and Senate are held by Republicans , there will not be a significant legislation on Social Security passed.

Normally I would agree....but with Trump.....all bets are off

Ha Ha @ "he cant take a call from Taiwan"

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
Plane brought up a good point about SS is tied to general fund and why it has less money. this should bring a uncomfortable question why is it gone to the government

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:31 PM »
Plane brought up a good point about SS is tied to general fund and why it has less money. this should bring a uncomfortable question why is it gone to the government

I don't even know whose idea it was to use the Social Security money as general fund , but it is years past , I think it is gotten away with at this point .

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 01:28:56 AM »
All these complaints of lack of funds and no one screaming where did it go.