Author Topic: saw a protest for science  (Read 2176 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
saw a protest for science
« on: April 24, 2017, 12:14:00 AM »
I`m curious how this effects government subsidy for scientific research. true people do say it`s wasted money due to the nature of the subject ex. slug migration. but the science is not meant to be efficient. it simply cannot and we benefit greatly from this giant waste of money.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
Re: saw a protest for science
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
within reason...i may agree.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 12:55:36 AM »
On our end its not exactly easy to judge if its a waste. Example it does seem a waste of time to study slug migration but that data can be important for food production and cancer treatment. The lay person will not see the connection. The problem is the research is done for acedemic reason not for the examples i just cited but it still should be done. Research for specific goals sound logical but often even more limiting in results. Many think primate studies is a waste of time but I actually used information from primate behavior to be a more effective worker and problem solver

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
.................................... Many think primate studies is a waste of time but I actually used information from primate behavior to be a more effective worker and problem solver

This has got to be a good story.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 12:33:03 AM »
not really but it does embarrases people who work with me. example we are so tech dependent today people do not clear paper jams on copiers and i come along and take a clue from chimps and put tape on a ruler to fix a paper jam. for decades people know how chimps eat termites but never thought of it as a low tech solution.primate social structure is not really different than humans . to be fair I only applied it since I read freakanomics and started making connections.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »
I like elegant simplicity.

Like a drawing of five strokes that conveys a thousand words of description, those paintings of ten thousand strokes that convey no more are more sophisticated without being better.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »
reminds me when I tried to make my parents wheelchair go uni-directional. people keep giving more complicated solutions like using gears and stuff. but I eventually used a broomstick and string. very simple and very cheap. those people had a hard time thinking in those term