Author Topic: The Bill of rights returns to DC  (Read 1812 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Bill of rights returns to DC
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:23:30 PM »
Gun control advocates argue that the phrase "well-regulated militia" means that owning a gun is a group right, subject to restriction.

But the court essentially said the right to bear arms is an individual right for private activities, including self-defense.

“The district’s definition of the militia is just too narrow,” Judge Laurence Silberman wrote for the majority. “There are too many instances of ‘bear arms’ indicating private use to conclude that the drafters intended only a military sense.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17538139/

domer

Re: The Bill of rights returns to DC
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
With the politics withdrawn from the legal analysis, the judge is entirely and inexorably correct in my view. I should hasten to add that this conception of the problem does NOT foreclose appropriate (and heavy) restrictions on gun use as the given state'locality may find suitable.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 06:22:16 AM »
With the politics withdrawn from the legal analysis, the judge is entirely and inexorably correct in my view. I should hasten to add that this conception of the problem does NOT foreclose appropriate (and heavy) restrictions on gun use as the given state'locality may find suitable.

The situation in DC was that only licensees could posses a gun , and these licenses were very hard to get.

I thin that restrictions on gu use are more reasonable than restrictions on gun possession.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 07:55:49 AM »
The situation in DC was that only licensees could posses a gun , and these licenses were very hard to get.

Last firearms license in DC was issued in 1976, IIRC.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 11:48:34 AM »
Last firearms license in DC was issued in 1976, IIRC.

Good gravy....you're kidding    :o    And what's the violent crime rate in DC again compared to so much of the rest of the country, where such restrictions aren't the case?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »
This just means that honest, law-abiding citizens will just get their weapons anyway and hope to never have to use them.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 10:02:59 PM »
This just means that honest, law-abiding citizens will just get their weapons anyway and hope to never have to use them.

Yeah, that's what happened to that liberal, pro-gun-control reporter. Then he felt he had to use his gun to defend himself and found himself arrested.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

The_Professor

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
Yes, Ami, os correct, but what else are you to do? NOT possess a weapon when you kNOW the bad guys have them?