Author Topic: It is tough to be a middle eastern cartoonist  (Read 2238 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
It is tough to be a middle eastern cartoonist
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »

Iran lifts ban on leading moderate daily
March 12, 2007

TEHRAN --  The Iranian authorities have lifted a ban on Shargh newspaper, the country's best-selling moderate daily until it was shut down by the press watchdog in September, one of its directors said Sunday.

"Shargh will appear again after the Nowruz holiday," said Mohammad Atrianfar, referring to celebrations marking the Iranian new year March 21.

"The judge ordered the chief executive of the paper to pay a fine of 9 million [Iranian] riyals [$970]," in the trial that followed its closure, he said.

The return of Shargh will see the reappearance of a newspaper with a 100,000 daily circulation that was critical of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's government and carried a broad range of cultural and international news.

After a series of warnings, it was shut down for printing a cartoon depicting a donkey, its head surrounded by an aura, facing a knight on a chessboard.

The cartoon was deemed insulting to the president who said that he had felt surrounded by an aura of light during his speech to the UN General Assembly in 2005.

Shargh journalists denied that there was any such political implication, saying that the cartoonist had simply colored in the black squares around the donkey to improve the color contrast of the black drawing of the animal.

Iran's press flourished in the early years of the rule of reformist president Mohammad Khatami although it was then hit by a string of closures ordered by the hardline judiciary.

The stringent regulation has continued under Ahmadinejad, although, even without Shargh, the press still has a surprisingly diverse range of titles including the unashamedly reformist Etemad Melli and Ayandeh-No.

Closures have also hit conservative titles over the past year, with the ultra-conservative Siasat Ruz and the government newspaper Iran both undergoing temporary suspensions for insulting Iran's ethnic and religious minorities. 

http://www.metimes.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20070312-072449-6953r

The_Professor

Re: It is tough to be a middle eastern cartoonist
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
I wonder why the Press in Iran does not have the freedom that the Press in Turkey does?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 09:50:36 PM »
I wonder why the Press in Iran does not have the freedom that the Press in Turkey does?
=========================================================
Turkey is a secular state, and has been one for over 50 years. Iran is an Islamic republic. The press in Iran is subject to censure by religious dorks. The press in Turkey is not.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:23:24 PM »
I know. I must admit I knew this as well. I was basically making a statement.  ;)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:29:19 PM »
I know. I must admit I knew this as well. I was basically making a statement.

You have to remember that XO just knows that all conservatives are idiots and have no subtly.

8)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 02:46:21 PM »
The "Professor" wrote: "I wonder why the Press in Iran does not have the freedom that the Press in Turkey does?"

And I replied:"Turkey is a secular state, and has been one for over 50 years. Iran is an Islamic republic. The press in Iran is subject to censure by religious dorks. The press in Turkey is not."

Pray tell, in what way was the "Professor"'s question subtle?
In what way was it not rather borderline idiotic?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »

Do you need the definition of sarcasm?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »

Do you need the definition of sarcasm?

Obviously       ;D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:58:46 AM »
There is a point at which sarcasm is of such a poor quality as have no edge and merely be taken as the rantings of a doofus.\

This appears to be such a case.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:56:38 AM »
There is a point at which sarcasm is of such a poor quality as have no edge and merely be taken as the rantings of a doofus.

This appears to be such a case.

Seems to be more a case of one of the acute observers of said sarcasm missing the point, and being embarrassed by that fact.