Author Topic: question about pot  (Read 11148 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: question about pot
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
gimme shelter

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »
Domer---
One of my sons told me about an episode of South Park (I think).   One of the  characters is urging the people who attended Woodstock to actually DO something.

Slowly I turned....and let him hear what I remembered about the years previous to that. 
Russians are going to bomb us
Nukes in Cuba
Space race, accellerated math
JFK assassination
Touring bomb shelters with my Brownie troop
Duck and cover drills
Civil rights marches, demonstrations, little kids getting sprayed by huge fire hoses and hurt
RFK assassination, MLK assassination
Churches bombed, Freedom Riders killed
RIots, riots
Peace marches/SNCC/ Weathermen/ etc
Friends getting drafted

I told him that a 3 day party in the mud listening to music was not a whole lot after all that.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 11:27:54 PM »
next thing i will hear is that pot should be legal.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 06:41:02 AM »

I think that makeing pot leagal, would solve more prolems than it would cause .

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
the problem with legalizing pot is way too many potheads are supporting it
when i say potheads I mean people who not only think pot should be legal,but it`s 100% safe.
they will not acknowledge it should not be used will driving or operating heavy machinery.
or that some people have bad reactions to it.
pretty much both sides has been giving fairly in accurate data on the item
the pot side is a bit more truer though.

The_Professor

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 03:24:26 PM »

Surely you jest....

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 03:27:40 PM »
Surely you jest....

Well, it wasn't really causing problems when it was legal 100 years ago. What has changed?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 03:32:22 PM »
william randolph hearst had alot to do with that
had nothing to do with drugs strangely enough.
hemp was the issue if i remember right
the drug part was hook to make it illegal

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »

Surely you jest....

Caffeine, nicotine and alchohol are legal. Drugs that alter brain chemistry (anti-depressants) can be, with a prescription from a doctor, bought at local pharmacies all over the country. Why should marijuana be completely illegal? What harm would come from making marijuana legal?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

The_Professor

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
Well, let's see. We have spent decades and literally billions fighting the smoking epidemic, cigarette smoking that is. And now, you want to encourage smoking yet again, except with a different substance? I would guess, and it is only a guess, that if this were to be made legal, cigarette smoking would increase as well.

Plus, any substance that alters your judgment and not for the better, needs to be treated with kid gloves.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »
ah
smoking is another matter altogether
tobaco smoke is so toxic you need to inhale it on and off for twenty years for it to effect your health
second hand is so toxic you need to breathe it continually for 40 years to get ill.
note not a single study say smoking will definately harm people.
I smoke a cigarette every 3 months
am i playing russian roulette?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 04:45:40 PM »
And now, you want to encourage smoking yet again, except with a different substance?

First of all, making it legal is not "encouraging" it.

Second, there are other ways of ingesting marijuana without smoking it.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 05:11:20 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Plane on Today at 05:41:02 AM
Quote from: The_Professor on March 14, 2007, 10:27:54 PM

Well, let's see. We have spent decades and literally billions fighting the smoking epidemic, cigarette smoking that is. And now, you want to encourage smoking yet again, except with a different substance? I would guess, and it is only a guess, that if this were to be made legal, cigarette smoking would increase as well.

Plus, any substance that alters your judgment and not for the better, needs to be treated with kid gloves.

You predicted well when you predicted the next thing that you would hear didn't you?
I undertand the problems wth intoxiants and I wouldn't ever want to encourage recreational intoxication in any form.
But I have lost a freind to the eforcement of the law , as have thousands of other people .

If the leagalisation of Marijuanna caused problems that were on balence less than the problems of haveing it illeagal then naturally we should choose the lessor evil.

If the leagalisation of Marijuanna caused problems that were exactly equal to the problems of haveing it illeagal then I would rather err on the side of trusting the people and preserveing their liberty.

Only if the problems of haveing it illeagal are less than the problems of it being leagal is there any excuse for the Government to be involved .

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »

The smoking epidemic? Uh, anyway, I did not say I wanted to encourage anything. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that you're correct and making marijuana legal would result in more cigarette smoking. So what? It is not as if anyone goes into smoking without knowledge that it can be bad for one's health.

Just for the record, I've never used marijuana. However, outside of the government drug war propaganda, I have not heard much in the way of reports that marijuana is necessarily detrimental to one's judgment. So what makes you think marijuana alters one's judgment for the worse?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 06:15:22 PM »
which is worst ?
alcohol or pot?

In terms of impaired judgement under the influense
I really have no idea