Author Topic: All of Tehran was outraged  (Read 2718 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: All of Tehran was outraged
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »
JS, what a preposterous generality!

Oh really? I'd love to see a poll conducted and how many people can even name a Roman leader other than Julius Caesar. You might be right that I'm far too cynical, but I'd wager quite a bit of money that the majority of Americans aged 15+ have no idea what century and in what war the Battle of Thermopylae was fought. Hell, I doubt most Americans know what sides fought in the Punic Wars.

And from reading numerous letters to the editor about how America is turning into Rome in its "moral decline" which led to Rome's fall, plus attending a Protestant church that taught just that, I can safely say that I've witnessed that very teaching on more than one occasion. A generalisation, true and perhaps not fair to place on the widespread populace, but I'm not sure how preposterous it is.

As far as Sparta, it is a good demonstration of holding the military to a higher standard and what military does not need that? Frankly, the purpose of the military is not to govern but to break things. If you are going to do it, DO IT EFFECTIVELY or don't bother. But, the other side of the coin is that your VERY EFFECTIVE military should only be used in last resorts (unlike Iraq) or specific instances where a nation's interest is involved (again, not Iraq).

That's some rather selective history of the Spartans, is it not? You forget that Spartans were raised in a military environment and only those who lived long enough and achieved a certain rank could hold government office. Should we even get into the "lifestyle" choices of those in the Spartan military? Also, Spartans really believed in the state. You belonged to the state and were loyal beyond the faux patriotism we have today. The state was a religion in Sparta, it was much closer to Fascism than any of today's governments.

If you drive from Athens Ga to Sparta Ga you won't learn much about Anchient Greeks , but if you drive to Colmbus Ga. and stop in at Ft. Benning you will find a group there that talk about  the Spartans constantly.