Author Topic: Draining the swamp?  (Read 8554 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Draining the swamp?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 01:10:32 AM »
You know what I and the GOP were hoping for, despite my and many others' comments to the contrary?

I guess that wasn't very fair. That's what some of the GOP were hoping for I suspect. You? You're part of the mob for the most part.

You suspect that some of the GOP thought Pelosi would be some pushover?  Fall to their wims, now that they had achieved minority status?  Who would those be, I'm curious.  And you want to take a stab at defining what this "mob" is that I'm a member of "for the most part"?  Can you get any vaguer?

Since you didn't personally vote for them, you have no need to criticize their acts you'd be raking Republicans for.

What a pedestrian response. No, I just don't expect them to do any better and your question was about the "bar." I never said I "admired" anyone, or can you point out otherwise?

Oh my apologies.  When you were referencing how smart Pelosi was, how she supposedly outmanuvered those dastardly GOP folk, it sure appeared how much you actually were admiring the tactic.  So it was simply "an observation" on your part?  Me, I actually DO expect better.  then again, that's my bar to bare

Why is this about me anyway? Go back to your mob.

And again with this "mob".  Is this some defensive reaction to highlighting your double standard?  Who again is this "mob", and what makes them such? 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2007, 05:26:54 PM »

I do not recall the GOP holding the hungry and homeless hostage to get pet bills passed. And if you could find an example of that from DeLAy or K Street or whatever the demon of the day is i would like to see it.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Budget/wm1038.cfm
This isn't holding the hungry and homeless hostage, but it does look like a similar deal to what the Democrats have proposed. It connected spending for Katrina relief with spending on the conflict in Iraq. To which was added spending for farm bailouts, rerouteing a rail line, private fisheries, avian flu preparations, relief of a backlog of highway projects and AmeriCorps. Of course, this is the sort of thing that Democrats were promising to stop. They were going to end the practice of adding pork spending to emergency spending bills. But they seem to have changed their tune quickly enough from fiscal responsibility to political expediency. And some folks wonder why so many people claim there is almost no difference between the Republicans and the Democrats. Well, here you go. This issue is a prime example. Only the names have changed, not the actions.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
And you want to take a stab at defining what this "mob" is that I'm a member of "for the most part"?  Can you get any vaguer?

That's probably one of the best ways to know that you're a member ;)

When you were referencing how smart Pelosi was, how she supposedly outmanuvered those dastardly GOP folk

Where did I use the word "dastardly?"

I can admire a great play without being in love with the team Sirs. Surely you've seen a football game where the coach called a great offensive or defensive play and you had to give credit where credit is due. It doesn't mean that you are necessarily a fan of the team does it?

And again with this "mob".  Is this some defensive reaction to highlighting your double standard?

Oh, hard to believe there are people outside your Manichean world, huh?

Who again is this "mob", and what makes them such?

I explained it earlier. Do you need Cliffs Notes or something?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »
Oh I completely agree, but you didn't seem to care when your party was doing it

[Are you honestly telling me that the GOP did not attach riders to their favored legislation Bt? Don't condemn the game of politics then come in here and play it with me. Do you really want to search through the records and find the shit that DeLay and K-Street attached to legislation?

I think most of us had full expectations that the Dems would revert right back into their morbid political posturing & partisan hatred.  The "entertaining part" is in referencing the all to often used quotes of how they were going to refrain from such, bringing respect, ethics, and morals back to Washington.  Yea, right

No. You were hoping Pelosi would be a pushover, as I'm sure many were. You were hoping all the talk of ethics and bipartisanship meant that the Republicans could act like they've always done and easily have the advantage. But it was not to be so. The game is no fun without a good opponent.

That ain't capitalism. American politics, yes, absolutely. Capitalism, no.

Perhaps Prince...I find it difficult to distinguish at times.

I seem to recall that Pelosi being the Speaker of the House was held up as a warning during the campaigns and that Democrats were minimiseing this as a threat. This being so why do you say that we wanted her ro be a pushover? We had the fear that she would be a hard chargeing ultra leftist and a dirty pool player , this is really not quite as bad as I was expecting.

You really think that this was a common tactic during the breif period that the Republicans controlled the house?  Got an example to discuss?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 04:18:45 AM »
And you want to take a stab at defining what this "mob" is that I'm a member of "for the most part"?  Can you get any vaguer?

That's probably one of the best ways to know that you're a member ;)

Trying your work as a politician, in how to answer a question, without actually answering the question?

When you were referencing how smart Pelosi was, how she supposedly outmanuvered those dastardly GOP folk

Where did I use the word "dastardly?"

It was an obvious implication     ;)

I can admire a great play without being in love with the team Sirs. Surely you've seen a football game where the coach called a great offensive or defensive play and you had to give credit where credit is due. It doesn't mean that you are necessarily a fan of the team does it?

Point taken.  It sure did appear in response after response, to not just myself, but Bt & ami as well, in how thoroughly enamored you were with her.  It seemed to be a safe assumption with the rhetoric you were using.  Apparently I was in error

And again with this "mob".  Is this some defensive reaction to highlighting your double standard?  Who again is this "mob", and what makes them such?

Oh, hard to believe there are people outside your Manichean world, huh?  I explained it earlier. Do you need Cliffs Notes or something?

Apparently so, since I have yet to see any explaination or definition of who this mob is, how you come about proclaiming them as the mob, and how I'm an apparent member.  Do we have a secret handshake?  Is this where you could tell me, but then you'd have to kill me?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2007, 04:27:48 AM »

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2007, 12:01:49 PM »
Sirs, I'm trying to think of how to explain it. It is a metaphor and as such not so easily broken down into mere A = B definitions.

In the movie Gladiator Senator Gracchus makes the following statement:

I think he [Commodus] knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. He will conjure magic for them and they will be distracted. He will take away their freedom, and still they will roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it is the sand of the Colosseum. He will bring them death, and they will love him for it.

There's no secret about it. Take out Rome and replace it with "America." The pronoun "he" can be any politician, or more accurately a group of politicians. The sand of the colosseum is a bit anachronistic (and trying to sell a movie) and can be replaced with many things including warfare, taxes, terrorist threats, etc. The more unfied the arrangement, the better.

The mob is. It is fickle and difficult to control for long periods of time.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 04:01:00 AM »
So, in other words, you have no definition to give to "the mob", and you have no criteria by which I have been deemed a member of.  Simply your conclusions of such.  Ooookaaaaaay

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 11:26:18 AM »
Sirs, I'm trying to think of how to explain it. It is a metaphor and as such not so easily broken down into mere A = B definitions.

In the movie Gladiator Senator Gracchus makes the following statement:

I think he [Commodus] knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. He will conjure magic for them and they will be distracted. He will take away their freedom, and still they will roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate, it is the sand of the Colosseum. He will bring them death, and they will love him for it.

There's no secret about it. Take out Rome and replace it with "America." The pronoun "he" can be any politician, or more accurately a group of politicians. The sand of the colosseum is a bit anachronistic (and trying to sell a movie) and can be replaced with many things including warfare, taxes, terrorist threats, etc. The more unfied the arrangement, the better.

The mob is. It is fickle and difficult to control for long periods of time.

Do you have respect for the common man?

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 03:13:18 PM »

That's a good question.

Do you Plane & Sirs? If so, how and why?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 03:22:36 PM »

That's a good question.

Do you Plane & Sirs? If so, how and why?

I beleave that the Mob is no more likely to make a bad decision than is Commodius.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 03:27:59 PM »

That's a good question.  Do you Plane & Sirs? If so, how and why?

"Common man"?  Respect is earned.  Just being born man (or woman) doesn't give you automatic respect status.  If gives you initial tolerant status in my book

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 03:30:25 PM »
I beleave that the Mob is no more likely to make a bad decision than is Commodius.

You didn't answer the question.

"Common man"?  Respect is earned.  Just being born man (or woman) doesn't give you automatic respect status.  If gives you initial tolerant status in my book

Interesting.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 03:35:49 PM »
The Democrats were elected because the voters wanted to get out of Iraq.

If they didn't do everything possible to end this ghastly ness now, they would be ignoring their mandate.

Everyone agrees that the war canot be won by military means, including Gen. Petreaus. It is bleeding OBVIOUS as Hell that the US cannot ever win an Iraqi Civil War.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 05:22:07 PM »

You didn't answer the question.

Neither did you.