Author Topic: Happy Anniversary  (Read 5229 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Happy Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 05:24:38 PM »
Logic fallacy.

What does North Korea have to do with Iraq if the FOCUS is on IRAQ now?

What rule says democracy has to be sought in all offending countries simultaneously?

I don't know of one. Do you?

No, but that's not the point at all.

The point is that when you apply a fallacy for a conclusion that employs a broad generalisation, then ethically it has to apply universally. Racism should be universally wrong, lest your ethical system is failing.

You seem to think that my post above is about the war. It is not. It is about Sir's conclusion that those who oppose the war must be inherently racist and elitist with their beliefs towards the Iraqis. If we apply that universally, it doesn't hold true. We could do so not just with war, but with any policy.

That is why it is a logical fallacy. 

I think you have found a falicy where there is not one.

If there were ten poor people in your neighborhood and you had the resorces to feed and educate one of them you really shouldn't help the one because you can't help the ten.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »
No NO NO.  That is NOT the implication.

But it is the implication. It was the same when Bush referred to the "people who don't believe that the brown-skinned folks can have a democracy." Of course there never were any such "people" specifically pointed out and Bush quickly dropped that line of rhetoric.

But let's focus on the text we have here. Three rhetorical questions that you use as a conlusion Sirs.

The first question asks: "Are they not sophisticated enough?"
The second question: "Are they not smart enough?"
The last asks: "Are they not worthy of freedom?"

These questions have nothing to do with the administration. In fact, they have nothing to do with the war itself. The sole focus here is that the individual (in this case you specifically refer to Tee) is being implicated as not believing the above. The "they" is referring to Iraqis.

So you (sirs) are implying that Tee and his ilk do not believe the following:

A. That Iraqis are sophisticated enough to have a democracy. That Iraqis are smart enough to have a democracy. That Iraqis are not worthy of freedom.

B. Because Tee does not support the Iraq War he believes the above.

C. Because Tee does not support the Iraq War he is a racist.

We know C must be true because the definition of racism lies in B. So yes, you are implying that Tee is a racist because he does not support the Iraq War. Now, you may not have intended that. I don't know (and frankly don't care anymore). But that is the issue.

That is a fallacy.

Sorry Plane, but it is. Implying that everyone who does not support the Iraq War is a racist is a fallacy because it does not meet universal standards. In fact, it is quite ironic because Sirs defence is to declare that his rhetorical test can only apply to Iraq. That in and of itself is a racist notion because it infers that the very criteria he set up can only apply to one race. (I'm amazed that no one else appreciates the irony of that - but humour is subjective I suppose).

Sure it is. Did Sirs say the North Koreans are not worthy of democracy? DId he say only Iraqi's were?

Yes, he did. He implied that his rhetorical test of racism as it applied to anti-war individuals only applied to Iraq. So in essence it has no universal value which means that North Koreans do not deserve democracy by the very test Sirs gave Tee. That is why it is logically idiotic. That was my point (for which you and others have blown greatly out of proportion).

That Saddam was running an aparthied regime as bad as South Africa was at its worst?

Not really. Saddam's regime wasn't inherently bigoted, though he played off of traditional Sunni favoritism. Otherwise Baathists were generally secular. For example, he had very high ranking Christians in his cabinet and gave Christians a great deal of religious freedom. Hussein was more of a traditional dictator who played groups against one another and did perform purges and crackdowns.

Don't get me wrong, he was a loathesome individual with a tyrannical regime. Yet, apartheid wasn't really a policy of his (forced segregation, racial laws, etc weren't an important part of his policies).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
" He implied that his rhetorical test of racism as it applied to anti-war individuals only applied to Iraq. "

I don't see this .

All the peoples of the world can benefit from the abolition of slavery , and slavery has been reduced a lot since its heyday.

Can't we say that all the peoples of the world can benefit from liberty?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 06:06:19 PM »
No NO NO.  That is NOT the implication.

But it is the implication.

No, it's not, and never has been.  If you want to keep claiming the sky is green and the sun is blue, go right ahead.  My implication was clear, especially after I made it even more so, in the preceding post.  For you to keep twisting it into some racist arguement is telling me more about your implication, than mine.     :-\

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 06:15:44 PM »
"Sorry Plane, but it is. Implying that everyone who does not support the Iraq War is a racist is a fallacy because it does not meet universal standards."

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

I wouldn't say that everyone who is against the Iraq war is racist , but there is a faction of them who are , I mean in particular those who claim the entire project is hopeless because Iriquis havent had a democracy in 10,000 years , as if there were a racial momentum in an anti democratic direction or as if any ones ancestors were democratic that entire streach of time.

The anti war croud definately includes people who are not racist in the least , I do not wish to imply otherwise.

domer

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »
The truth about Iraq: 1) the US initiated an elective war; 2) the costs so far in US and Iraqi lives and treasure would nullify even a best-case outcome, that is, make it not worthwhile from a policy standpoint; 3) even so, the outcome is in doubt, and more lives will be lost; 4) the best we can now hope for, it seems, if not partition, is a loosely (as opposed to tightly) Iranian-aligned central government; 5) Saddam, as evil as he was, was a natural counterbalance to the Iranians, who, through Bush's Blunder, have assumed far greater influence regionally and globally, in a far more menacing way, than would have been the case otherwise; 6) money, time, effort and lives spent in Iraq diminish the availability of the same assets in Afghanistan, the ur-site of our terrorist scourge, where both the Taliban and al Qaeda are becoming frightfully resurgent. This ANALYSIS is far different from Sirs' cheerleading, on a distinctive false note at that.

The_Professor

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »
Logic fallacy.

What rule says democracy has to be sought in all offending countries simultaneously?

The point is that when you apply a fallacy for a conclusion that employs a broad generalisation, then ethically it has to apply universally. Racism should be universally wrong, lest your ethical system is failing.

You seem to think that my post above is about the war. It is not. It is about Sir's conclusion that those who oppose the war must be inherently racist and elitist with their beliefs towards the Iraqis. If we apply that universally, it doesn't hold true. We could do so not just with war, but with any policy.

If there were ten poor people in your neighborhood and you had the resorces to feed and educate one of them you really shouldn't help the one because you can't help the ten.

Whoa! Nope, not Biblical. You are help those who are needy, one or ten or hundred. You should help the one even if you cannot help the other nine. Otherwise, no one would ever help the poor because they would just say "Hey, there are just too many of them!"

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 09:42:25 PM »
Logic fallacy.

Whoa! Nope, not Biblical. You are help those who are needy, one or ten or hundred. You should help the one even if you cannot help the other nine. Otherwise, no one would ever help the poor because they would just say "Hey, there are just too many of them!"

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=10&verse=35&version=31&context=verse

So , simularly should we aid the cause of democracy when wnd where we can , even if we can not support every deserveing case?

The_Professor

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »
Yes! But there are different ways to support these fledgling democracires. It does not always have to be via military action.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 01:12:50 AM »
Yes! But there are different ways to support these fledgling democracires. It does not always have to be via military action.

100% agreed.  Which again goes to the point that this support of Iraq's new fledgling democracy is by necessity via military action, & not specifically by choice, since again the primary reason we went into Iraq was not to bring democracy to Iraq.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
The truth about Iraq: 1) the US initiated an elective war; 2) the costs so far in US and Iraqi lives and treasure would nullify even a best-case outcome, that is, make it not worthwhile from a policy standpoint; 3) even so, the outcome is in doubt, and more lives will be lost; 4) the best we can now hope for, it seems, if not partition, is a loosely (as opposed to tightly) Iranian-aligned central government; 5) Saddam, as evil as he was, was a natural counterbalance to the Iranians, who, through Bush's Blunder, have assumed far greater influence regionally and globally, in a far more menacing way, than would have been the case otherwise; 6) money, time, effort and lives spent in Iraq diminish the availability of the same assets in Afghanistan, the ur-site of our terrorist scourge, where both the Taliban and al Qaeda are becoming frightfully resurgent. This ANALYSIS is far different from Sirs' cheerleading, on a distinctive false note at that.

Entirely correct. The war was ill-conceived at best. I see no positive solution at this point and didn't BEFORE we went in. The average Iraqi on the street is actually worse off now than under Hussein. At least then he could at least hope for he and his family to survive and even possibly thrive if he kept his nose clean. He had electricity, steady foodsupplies and so on. Now, he gets, at best, six hours of electricity a day, erratic foodstuffs and so on. WHAT HAVE WE REALLY ACCOMPLISHED HERE? Hey, Hussein was indeed loathsome but no more than a dozen others in the world. We not "taking THEM down." We should have continued to work covertly to topple his regime and not spent our lifeblood in our current manner. And, Racism doesn't even begin to enter the picture here. Racism, IMHO, is used too many times, erroneously, to justify someone's position since, in our politically-correct world, it gets a REACTION.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 11:20:41 AM by The_Professor »

The_Professor

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 11:24:16 AM »

100% agreed.  Which again goes to the point that this support of Iraq's new fledgling democracy is by necessity via military action, & not specifically by choice, since again the primary reason we went into Iraq was not to bring democracy to Iraq.

I agree and disagree, Sirs. I think we went into Iraq for a multitude of reasons. I think Bush REALLY believed trhere were WMDs there. Iknow many on the Left do not agree, but I think he really did. Plus, oil does play a part. But, we also do have this tendency to go around the world and try ti ppant democracy in parts of the world we think need it. We do it for positive reasons, I suppose, in that since it works so well for us, then it should work wel lfor others, but that is not entirely true. It is a bit naive. Sorry, but I guess I m getting tired to playing the world's arbiter, judge and policeman. I believe in quiet strength.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 11:49:58 AM »

I agree and disagree, Sirs. I think we went into Iraq for a multitude of reasons.

Personally, I still think we went in for 1 primary reason, and 2-3 2ndary ones, largely following the dealing with the Primary one

I think Bush REALLY believed trhere were WMDs there. Iknow many on the Left do not agree, but I think he really did.

Most sane & rational folks would have as well, given the overwhelming intel at the time, and simple logic.

Plus, oil does play a part.

"Plays a part", yea, I'll by that.  A primary reason?  Not even close.  A secondary reason?  Again, no, as we haven't done anything to annex the oil fields, (which we easily could, if we were this big evil military machine), or have demanded payment via their oil revenuces, for taking out Saddam and helping to facilitate their new democracy, (which we probably should)

But, we also do have this tendency to go around the world and try ti ppant democracy in parts of the world we think need it. We do it for positive reasons, I suppose, in that since it works so well for us, then it should work wel lfor others, but that is not entirely true. It is a bit naive. Sorry, but I guess I m getting tired to playing the world's arbiter, judge and policeman. I believe in quiet strength.

You're right in the sense that the U.S. does stick its hands in places it ought not.  And all too often, other countries look to the U.S. to police their regions.  But again where have we been using military intervention to force democracies onto other countries?  Outside of Iraq, where have we overthrown a dictator because of his believed stockpiles of WMD and terrorist connections?  You seem to be using Iraq as "just another example" of American meddling.  This isn't America judging Iraq as unfit to continue being a dictatorship, and that we will help bring them democracy.  This is America pro-actively taking out a potential threat of a dictator handing or selling off some of the WMD, that NEARLY everyone believed he had, to terrorists that he DID have connections with, including AlQeada, with them then being used on American soil. 

I've said it before & I'll say it again....it would have been grossly irresponsible for Bush, as CnC, NOT to have done something along these lines, following the events of 911, and given the intel he had at the time.  911 changed the world in which we live.  Not only did it wake us up to this growing malignant threat of militant Islam & Islamofascism, it also has required us to take much greater pro-active (vs reactive) steps in dealing with them.  It's absolutely no coincidence that there hasn't been another attack here in the U.S. since 911.  I bet you asked 4 out of 5 folks following 911, they'd tell you, as I would have, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the next attack on U.S. soil would take place. 

And I whole heartedly disagree with you when you claim how Iraqis now are worse off now, than when under Saddam.  To be able to walk the streets without fear of a car bomb, but be living under a brutal dictator that would just as easily have you and your family's tongue's pulled out if you dared look cross-eyed at his Government, isn't a life, it's captivity.  The people are now in charge, and the only reason they have to deal with car bombs, is that the new Government isn't ready to effectively deal with the insurgents and sectarian radicals.  Will they ever?  I'm an optimist, so yea, I do believe that.  I need to believe that, since that's now what we're fighting for, now that the Primary reason for us going into Iraq has been dealt with
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:54:48 PM by sirs »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »
Were the American People better off in 1777 than they were in 1775?

King George was not so bad as many tyrants , we could have coped.