Author Topic: More Lib Elitist Hypocritical lecturing on Global Warming  (Read 2795 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
More Lib Elitist Hypocritical lecturing on Global Warming
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:53:33 PM »
Gore practically lives in a greenhouse compared to Travolta      :-\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With five private jets, Travolta still lectures on global warming
His serious aviation habit means he is hardly the best person to lecture others on the environment. But John Travolta went ahead and did it anyway.

The 53-year-old actor, a passionate pilot, encouraged his fans to "do their bit" to tackle global warming.

But although he readily admitted: "I fly jets", he failed to mention he actually owns five, along with his own private runway.

Clocking up at least 30,000 flying miles in the past 12 months means he has produced an estimated 800 tons of carbon emissions – nearly 100 times the average Briton's tally.

Travolta made his comments this week at the British premiere of his movie, Wild Hogs.

He spoke of the importance of helping the environment by using "alternative methods of fuel" – after driving down the red carpet on a Harley Davidson.

Travolta, a Scientologist, claimed the solution to global warming could be found in outer space and blamed his hefty flying mileage on the nature of the movie business.

But his appointment as a "serving ambassador" for the Australian airline Qantas doesn't seem to have much to do with the movies. Nor does a recent, two-month round-the-world flying trip.

"It [global warming] is a very valid issue," Travolta declared. "I'm wondering if we need to think about other planets and dome cities.

"Everyone can do their bit. But I don't know if it's not too late already. We have to think about alternative methods of fuel.

"I'm probably not the best candidate to ask about global warming because I fly jets.

"I use them as a business tool though, as others do. I think it's part of this industry – otherwise I couldn't be here doing this and I wouldn't be here now."

Travolta's five private planes – a customised £2million Boeing 707, three Gulfstream jets and a Lear jet – are kept at the bottom of his garden in the US next to a private runway.

Indeed, such is his enthusiasm for flying, he persuaded his wife, actress Kelly Preston, to name their son Jett when he was born 14 years ago.

Five years ago he piloted his own Boeing 707 on a 13- city "Spirit of Friendship Tour" for Qantas, taking in Los Angeles, Auckland, Sydney, Singapore, Tokyo, London, Paris and New York and amassing over 35,000 flying miles.

More recently, a gruelling promotional schedule for his two latest projects, Hairspray and Wild Hogs, has seen him fly extensively over the past year.

This includes a country-wide tour of the US and a visit to Canada as well as this week's appearance in Leicester Square.

Such prolific mileage means that, over the past 12 months, he has accumulated around 800 tonnes of carbon emissions.

According to a recent study by the government-funded Carbon Trust, this means he boasts a carbon "footprint" nearly 100 times that of the average Briton, who is responsible for 10.92 tons of Co2, from his flights alone.

One of the world's leading climate change businesses, the Carbon Neutral Company, has written to Travolta, suggesting ways he could reduce these alarming levels.

He has yet to respond to their advice. Environmental groups were quick to criticise Travolta for "discrediting the cause".

John Buckley, managing director-of CarbonFootprint.com, said: "John Travolta has such a high-profile celebrity status, so what he says carries an extraordinary amount of weight.

"So it is such a shame when someone of his standing is so outspoken about green issues, yet fails to practise what he preaches.

"Unfortunately someone of his standing ends up discrediting the cause itself, because he is saying people should protect the environment on one hand, yet travelling on a private plane on the other.

"Green issues are serious and should be treated as such.

"It is vital for celebrities to toe the line when they speak out in support of it."

Travolta to lecture us?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 05:03:45 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: More Lib Elitist Hypocritical lecturing on Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 09:16:41 PM »
I couldn't help but notice no one going to the defense of Travolta's lifestyle vs rhetoric double standard.   Good idea.  Pretty indefensible, which is not to be confused with easily spinnable     8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:47:34 PM »
I couldn't help but notice no one going to the defense of Travolta's lifestyle vs rhetoric double standard.   Good idea.  Pretty indefensible, which is not to be confused with easily spinnable     8)

All right then!

John Travolta earns enough to pay for some big toys, it is his right to buy them and fuel them and play with them.

He also has the right to say what he thinks even if his thinking is wrong , any dissonance between his actions and his speaking seems to  not be  breaking my leg or picking my pocket.

Lord help us the day that Hypocracy becomes against the law.

yellow_crane

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:54:04 PM »

Yeah.

Just imagine Travolta's shamelessness.

Living in the style commensurate with his salary, he opined concern for the environewment, but we weren't fooled.

Imagine Travolta thinking he could have weath and express concern for the environment.

It is obvious beyond consideration of other concerns that he is a hypocrite, and that is the trump card to the whole credibility gap of the environmental movement.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 02:44:52 AM »
Yeah.  Just imagine Travolta's shamelessness.  Living in the style commensurate with his salary, he opined concern for the environewment, but we weren't fooled.

Crane seems to think I have a problem with Travolta making as much money as the market will pay him.  An intellectually dishonest tactic, but one must consider the source.  The issue is not how much money he makes YC.  The issue is how his rhetoric doesn't jive with his actions.  If one is going to push the notion that we all need to curb our use of fossile fuels and electricity useage, it would behove said person to then not flaunt doing precisely the opposite.  In this world, that's called hypocrisy

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:39:36 AM »
Clouds Caused By Aircraft Exhaust May Warm The U.S. Climate

NASA scientists have found that cirrus clouds, formed by contrails from aircraft engine exhaust, are capable of increasing average surface temperatures enough to account for a warming trend in the United States that occurred between 1975 and 1994.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2004/apr/HQ_04140_clouds_climate.html

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 03:09:41 AM »
Climate change concert star Madonna accused of hypocrisy
By RICHARD SIMPSON

Last updated at 18:59pm on 10th April 2007

The stars of a major Live 8-style concert to raise awareness of climate change have been condemned as hypocrites for failing to lead environmentally friendly lives themselves.

The likes of Madonna and Red Hot Chili Peppers will perform at Live Earth at Wembley Stadium on July 7, yet campaigners say they are among the least "green" individuals on the planet.

Built on the model Bob Geldof used for the anti-poverty Live 8 concerts in 2005, Live Earth will also be held simultaneously in Johannesburg, Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, Sydney and Tokyo.

More than 100 rock and pop stars will perform during the 24-hour live concert.

But green campaigners called the stars' involvement hypocritical last night saying their lifestyles which demand they jet themselves and their huge entourages on world tours give them enormously large carbon footprints.

Last year, for example, they report how Madonna flew as many as 100 technicians, dancers, backing singers, managers and family members on a 56-date world tour in private jets and commercial airliners.

Madonna herself also has a collection of fuel-guzzling cars, including a Mercedes Maybach, two Range Rovers, Audi A8s and a Mini Cooper S. Yet she will headline the London concert to "combat the climate crisis".

"Madonna's Confessions tour produced 440 tonnes of CO2 in four months of last year. And that was just the flights between the countries, not taking into account the truckloads of equipment needed, the power to stage such a show and the transport of all the thousands of fans getting to the gigs.

"The Red Hot Chili Peppers produced 220 tonnes of CO2 with their private jet alone over six months on their last world tour which was 42 dates.

"The average a British person produces is 10 tonnes a year," said John Buckley, managing director-of CarbonFootprint.com.

He added: "It's great for the celebrities to come out and support the cause, but they then have to follow it up in their own lifestyles.

"We should now keep a close eye on whether Madonna and the others makes any changes to their own lifestyle.

"Perhaps her next world tour will be performed in one venue, but broadcast to billions over the internet."

Organisers of Live Earth aim to set a "green example" for other music events by using methods such as sustainable lighting, carbon-neutral travel and Eco-friendly electricity.

Razorlight, Keane, Snow Patrol, Corinne Bailey Rae, Damien Rice, David Gray,James Blunt, the Black Eyed Peas and Genesis are also among other groups joining the London line-up of the global series of Live Earth concerts.

Announcing the details of the concert, Live Earth founder Kevin Wall said: "This monster line-up will ensure Live Earth meets our goal of bringing together people from around the world to combat the climate crisis.

"Live Earth will not only span all seven continents, but the musicians who have answered our call span multiple genres and generations."

The concerts are forming part of a global publicity drive on climate change, tagged SOS (Save Our Selves), headed by former US vice president Al Gore.

Organisers hope that more than two billion people will be able to tune in to coverage of the 24-hour event on television, radio and online.

Mr Gore said: "By attracting an audience of billions we hope Live Earth will launch a global campaign giving a critical mass of people around the world the tools they need to help solve the climate crisis.

"But ultimately, corporations and governments must become global leaders taking decisive action to stop global warming."

Proceeds from the concerts will create a foundation to combat climate change led by The Alliance for Climate Protection, currently chaired by Mr Gore.

Gettin pretty transparent

Jwmcc

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 08:52:43 AM »
Gotta say, that's one hell of a house if you have two jets taking up parking spaces.
Jw

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »
The first people to point this out were environmentalists. Also, I don't know many leftists who are Scientologists - but I could be wrong. What makes Travolta a "Lib Elitist?"
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »
The first people to point this out were environmentalists. Also, I don't know many leftists who are Scientologists - but I could be wrong. What makes Travolta a "Lib Elitist?"

Truthfully, it's an opinion on my part based on the circumstances...rich person + leans left in their ideology + preaches actions that they preclude themselves from = Lib Elitist

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 12:42:30 PM »
Does he "lean left" in his ideology?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:23:11 PM »
Does he "lean left" in his ideology?

Joke or serious question?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:33:17 PM »
Serious.

I really don't know. Is he a member of CPUSA or something?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »
Serious.

I really don't know. Is he a member of CPUSA or something?

He's donated money to Democrats, and provided support for political fundraising for the Dems. I know of no such support he's given to the Republicans.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)