Author Topic: 'Just a Comma' Becomes Part of Iraq Debate  (Read 5603 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 'Just a Comma' Becomes Part of Iraq Debate
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 04:32:49 PM »
Plane,
If the  words come out of his mouth, do we presume they are what he means?
Does he have any, I repeat ANY, responsibility for the words that come out of his own mouth?

If he does, then I will not say, "Oh sure, fine, my filter is all screwy, you meant something entirely different than "just a comma.""

Are you saying it's all MY responsibility to have a PRO_ BUSH_FILTER on when he talks so I interpret him correctly?
  I understand plain language. Just a comma sounds pretty damn cold to me.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
Why would you need a Pro Bush filter to judge his statement fairly?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 10:51:48 PM »
...but you are pretty much saying that you know that he was not intending to minimise the sacrifice of thousands of dead and wounded Americans...

Of course that's what I said. However, I posted the story not because I agree with the idea that he intentionally minimised the deaths of American troops, nor the idea that the quote has religious overtones, but because it was an interesting story, to me anyway. That is allowed, yes?

I would be very sorry if you were to stop bringing interesting things here.

The main criteria ought to be that you see something in the article worthy of discussion.

What I am doing is discussing the nature of the article more than its subject , I hope that is allowed too.

Did I miss the point where we were agreeing?  Sorry about that, I enjoy the arguement so much sometimes .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
Plane,
If the  words come out of his mouth, do we presume they are what he means?
Does he have any, I repeat ANY, responsibility for the words that come out of his own mouth?

If he does, then I will not say, "Oh sure, fine, my filter is all screwy, you meant something entirely different than "just a comma.""

Are you saying it's all MY responsibility to have a PRO_ BUSH_FILTER on when he talks so I interpret him correctly?
  I understand plain language. Just a comma sounds pretty damn cold to me.

I am sure you are familiar with the concept of haveing ones words twisted , havent you ever seen the words of a person you liked being misused?

Your being tired of President Bush comes without much direct exposure to him , it is not the point to have rose colored glasses instead of distorting lenzes , it would be best to take it straight.