Author Topic: You Go Girl!  (Read 6043 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You Go Girl!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 10:49:15 PM »
One of my high school  friends  couldn't believe all this fuss over scarves.

She was in charge of getting her 10 brothers and sisters ready for mass every week, and in case there weren't enough chapel caps, her mom kept Kleenex in the car so the girls could wear that into church.   If I went to mass with a friend, I wore a scarf.   

Tradition and respect is important, especially for someone talking to a head of state.     
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
 Do you wear scarves to the grocery store?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 11:09:32 PM »
Scarves are a huge deal to Muslims.  I fail to see the point of it, but they do.

Of course, to refuse to wear a scarf is to make as big a deal of wearing one as they do of not wearing one.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 11:34:13 PM »
I don't wear scarves at all anymore, not even to mass.  If I lived in a country/region where I'd stick out or give offense by not wearing one,  I'd wear one.

I think it was a nice gesture for Pelosi.  It neither broke her bones nor picked her pocket---nor ours.
From Corinthians:
    "But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a woman is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. Any man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled dishonors her head—it is the same as if her head were shaven. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her wear a veil.
        "For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. (For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.) That is why a woman ought to have a veil on her head, because of the angels....If any one is disposed to be contentious, we recognize no other practice, nor do the churches of God." (1 Corinthians 11:3-10,16)

Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 12:20:24 AM »
The thing is the feminists were all over the forced wearing of burkas etc in everyday life.

You yourself as well as Terra posted articles about Afghani women being forced to wear burkas again after the Taliban was overthrown.

I don't have a problem with her wearing a scarve to the mosque. But why did she feel obligated to wear one to the market.

Symbolism being what it is , is she sending the wrong message?

Seems like a disconnect. But i also guess it is ok if you are a democrat.

The_Professor

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 12:22:19 AM »
I agree, Lanya. Wearing a scarve in such a culture is only appropriate. And, don't Moslem women wear them EVERYWHERE?

I see this as "majoring in the minors", e.g. worrying about scarves versus the warped purpose of the trip itself.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 01:22:40 AM »
I see this as "majoring in the minors", e.g. worrying about scarves versus the warped purpose of the trip itself.

BINGO !!  Give that man a scarf
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 01:04:14 AM »
I'm sure it is no surprise that I am supportive of opening dialogue with Syria.

However, I am NOT supportive of Pelosi going into Syria and making inaccurate and unauthorized statements on the behalf of the United States and Israel just to "show up" Bush. And while I am not a fan of Bush's foreign policy, I hardly think that Pelosi should be running around the Middle East as a representative of the U.S. when her message is not on par with the message Bush would like to send.

Mucho

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 11:37:11 AM »
I'm sure it is no surprise that I am supportive of opening dialogue with Syria.

However, I am NOT supportive of Pelosi going into Syria and making inaccurate and unauthorized statements on the behalf of the United States and Israel just to "show up" Bush. And while I am not a fan of Bush's foreign policy, I hardly think that Pelosi should be running around the Middle East as a representative of the U.S. when her message is not on par with the message Bush would like to send.

It doesnt take anything to show up the Bushidiot because he screws up everything and any message is better than the jingoistic cowboy nonsense he blurts. Even the crybaby Repub Congrassman Darrell Issa knows Bush is an idiot and he actually was more critical of Bush when he was just in Syria after Pelosi.

http://www.washingtoncritic.com/?p=469

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »
It doesnt take anything to show up the Bushidiot because he screws up everything and any message is better than the jingoistic cowboy nonsense he blurts.

Gee, what a surprise. Knutty supports illegal actions by Democrats. Why am I not surprised?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 12:28:32 PM »
It doesnt take anything to show up the Bushidiot because he screws up everything and any message is better than the jingoistic cowboy nonsense he blurts. Even the crybaby Repub Congrassman Darrell Issa knows Bush is an idiot and he actually was more critical of Bush when he was just in Syria after Pelosi.

http://www.washingtoncritic.com/?p=469

If Bush wants to look like an idiot or make an ass out of himself, that's his prerogative. It's not Pelosi's place to do it for him. Sorry, perhaps it's overly simplistic, but the fact of the matter is - like it or not - Bush is the President. The Dems will have their turn again.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »
The Dems will have their turn again.

It's their election to lose. And it looks like they are trying their damndest to do just that.

The_Professor

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 01:37:59 PM »
So true, BT, but this Iraqi debacle overshadows everything, I am afraid.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »

I don't think Bush can run again.

And i don't think Thompson, Guilliani, Romney or the Newtster had much to do with the execution of the war.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »

I don't think Bush can run again.   And i don't think Thompson, Guilliani, Romney or the Newtster had much to do with the execution of the war.

It's that dreaded "R" after their names.  That proclaims how bad they really are, regardless of if they had anything to do with the war.  You heard that they want all women to die of cancer, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle